Third party mapping on a new Leon Cupra (10 months old) going in for first service

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Hi all hope your all doing alright.

As a few of you keep asking in other forums the question of remapping, in particular how this affects you warranty and will Seat be able to pick up on it wether you bought or lease the car, I will have the answer for you.

In 3 weeks either the 2nd of April or the 9th of April I will be taking my Leon Cupra 290 in for its first service.

With the first service of a car, and a new facelift model just being brought out I'm guess there's a 90% chance that I'm expecting a firmware update to the ECU through the OBDE port (hopefully updated roads on my Nav).

I'm going to be leaving my Revo stage 1 software on the ECU and I'm leaving the SPS switcher set to high performance high fuel mode.

I am 100% certain Seat will not find out hence leaving it on and to prove to anyone that's sitting on the fence to have a remap done or avoid any modification at all because of the worry of warranty.

If how ever Jimmy the service guy decides to take my whip for a drag race against another 290, or has a degree in motorsport engine management and few spare hours he will not notice the difference in file names or error logs, as my file name is identical and I've not had a single error log yet.

I'm the past I've had a MK2 RS from factory order. From the first month a Revo map was installed and by the second year it was Revo stage 4.5. So as you can imagine a lot of money and a lot of uprated components. Each time I took it for a service I flashed the original stock file back on, the mechanics would of known instantly that I wouldn't ride a stock file with all of the work done to it.

I will take a few videos when the time comes for it to go in and when it comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
The answer is the same as it always is, if they find out about the remap it could cause warranty issues, if it's in for a service they won't give a monkeys if it's got potentially warranty voiding mods or not but go in to make a high value warranty claim and they might be more interested​ in what you've been up to

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere

As a few of you keep asking in other forums the question of remapping, in particular how this affects you warranty and will Seat be able to pick up on it wether you bought or lease the car, I will have the answer for you.

In 3 weeks either the 2nd of April or the 9th of April I will be taking my Leon Cupra 290 in for its first service.

With the first service of a car, and a new facelift model just being brought out I'm guess there's a 90% chance that I'm expecting a firmware update to the ECU through the OBDE port (hopefully updated roads on my Nav).

I'm going to be leaving my Revo stage 1 software on the ECU and I'm leaving the SPS switcher set to high performance high fuel mode.

I am 100% certain Seat will not find out hence leaving it on and to prove to anyone that's sitting on the fence to have a remap done or avoid any modification at all because of the worry of warranty.

If how ever Jimmy the service guy decides to take my whip for a drag race against another 290, or has a degree in motorsport engine management and few spare hours he will not notice the difference in file names or error logs, as my file name is identical and I've not had a single error log yet.

I'm the past I've had a MK2 RS from factory order. From the first month a Revo map was installed and by the second year it was Revo stage 4.5. So as you can imagine a lot of money and a lot of uprated components. Each time I took it for a service I flashed the original stock file back on, the mechanics would of known instantly that I wouldn't ride a stock file with all of the work done to it.

I will take a few videos when the time comes for it to go in and when it comes out.

My friend's BMW 335d xDrive blew its turbo 2 months ago. The dealer sent the ECU off to the analysed and the warranty claim was refused because of the map - no good will, he got the book thrown at him (he even removed the map prior to having his car taken there on a truck). Of course, they only found it because it got sent off. So, I doubt 'Jimmy' at SEAT will be able to tell from looking at the code if it has been remapped. BUT, any of the technicians (Jimmy included) will be able to tell if the car has been remapped as soon as they drive it with more than 20 per cent throttle. It'll be more responsive and a lot faster than a stock car.

On a service, I doubt they will have a need to drive it though.

Try blowing your turbo and then take your car in for a warranty claim if you really want to test their ability to find a remap.

Last edited:

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
I know the implications, I'm just showing other peeps not be fearful of a respected map and be worried about warranty, after a fairfew inbox messages are about this subject.

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
I know the implications, I'm just showing other peeps not be fearful of a respected map and be worried about warranty, after a fairfew inbox messages are about this subject.

Fearful of what, being told off by the service technician? Surly you should tell them not to expect to keep their warranty if they need certain work doing ?

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Only need to be fearful if something goes wrong which could be as a direct result of the remap. If no warranty claim is ever needed then happy days. It's a gamble is what it is.

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
If I blew a turbo I'd buy a new turbo fearmongering, it's a German car and respectable mappers APR Revo work that map to stock components and longevity

Nobody is 'fearmongering' about anything :lol:

Bottom line is this: Remaps are detectable, but it's not clear whether they are detectable software-wise at dealership level. They are obviously detectable if you drive the car.

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Nobody is 'fearmongering' about anything :lol:

Bottom line is this: Remaps are detectable, but it's not clear whether they are detectable software-wise at dealership level. They are obviously detectable if you drive the car.

I understand there detectable and the level of complexity to finding them out via the software. And how easily they are from driving them.

Bottom line is all you saying if something goes on the car.......... if something went on the car, the car would be in the shop the next day and on the road the quickest it could be if warranty was a choice then that option may be taken.

I'm simply pointing out the bottom line is they won't detect it on service, when the cars paid off after another 2 years and sold and buying the next cupra or w.e is on the market it will still be sold with the extended warranty of 2 years remaining.

I guarantee my car will not only last the test of time but it's condition and amount care and detail into maintaining it will be the best it could be.

Though I appreciate the looks of the car I can't ever have a car stock, it's just not for me, I feel the cars slightly under powered for the engine it had compared to the S3 and golf R

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
hopefully updated roads on my Nav
:rofl: that's the funniest thing I've heard since my granny fell down the stairs. Unless you slip your Seat dealer a few quid ( about £150 iirc) they won't update your nav.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow

You won't get updated roads on your Nav unless you ask for it (and pay for it!) unless you have 'Mapcare'.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Though I appreciate the looks of the car I can't ever have a car stock, it's just not for me, I feel the cars slightly under powered for the engine it had compared to the S3 and golf R

You do realise that the Cupra 280/290 engine is exactly the same as the engine in the Golf R and Audi S3, with exactly the same ECU file? There's no difference whatsoever between all three.

Last edited:

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
:rofl: that's the funniest thing I've heard since my granny fell down the stairs. Unless you slip your Seat dealer a few quid ( about £150 iirc) they won't update your nav.

Your kidding me it's just a file. Your telling me you download 35k emails from Killary Clinton () but you can't get updated roads for a fair price if not for free off the tinterweb. **** me

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
You do realise that the Cupra 280/290 engine is exactly the same as the engine in the Golf R and Audi S3, with exactly the same ECU file? There's no difference whatsoever between all three.

Of course Hence making the comparison, different maps though bro, completely different on torque ranges and hub based bhp

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Of course Hence making the comparison, different maps though bro, completely different on torque ranges and hub based bhp

You are wrong. They are the same maps, there's no difference between the S3, Golf R and Cupra 280 maps. I've seen the files side by side. As have plenty of other people. They are exactly the same.

Last edited:

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
You are wrong. They are the same maps, there's no difference between the S3, Golf R and Cupra 280 maps. I've seen the files side by side. As have plenty of other people. They are exactly the same.

Get out of here, there's no way? Why are the bhp at the engines different then. A 280 v 290 v 300 has slightly different graph chart on dyno