Throttle body modification

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Took the accelerator pedal off this afternoon, piece of cake job, only 3 x 10mm nuts holding it on. So it's all ready for the new pedal now. Checked for any other obvious signs of anything wrong, wiring damage etc., nothing to see.

I have new MAF here and a working MAP sensor coming, so eveything I can think of is covered, if all this doesn't fix it then it's going to have to go in to be looked at by Star or SEAT.

Last edited:

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Rob - that's twice I've set off for work and left the MAP in the garage...

Definitely post it tomorrow...

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Still waiting on the new pedal. I've been reading through other VAG forums for people with similar problems and how they fixed them, 2 things that could also be the cause are the spark plugs and the coolant temp sensor. Neither are expensive so I'm going to replace both as well, replacing the Denso IK22 iridium plugs with NGK BKR7E plugs.

Hopefully the new pedal arrives today.

Dangerous Dave

Dec 11, 2006
A quick check to confirm/rule out the accelerator pedal causing the issue at part throttle is to use cruise control to increase the cars speed recon it uses some where around 50% throttle.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Plugs and temp sensor arrived today, so I swapped them over, have to say the Denso plugs were not very tight and very black (gap was miles out too!), they've been in there for 2 years and don't look as if they've ever been checked - so much for Star servicing!

I gapped the NGK BKR7E plugs to .028 and torqued them down to 30Nm - using the VW Vortex plug guide to keep me right, I changed the temp sensor too which only took a few mins.

I re-fitted the accelerator pedal as the state and lack of tightness of the plugs got me thinking that they might be the problem, only to find my battery flat - ffs!!! On charge now so we'll see what happens tomorrow after I do a TBA then start the car.

Ted J SEAT ........ STILL waiting on my new pedal!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I had Denso Iridiums on my LCR Stg 2 and they didn't seem to work well with the car at all. Changed to them as an upgrade from OE and regularly saw temps rising. As soon as I took them out and replaced with NGK Iridiums no issues. Never could have believe a plug could make so much difference - only used them for 4,500 miles so it wasn't a cost effective mod.

Best of luck getting it sorted.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Well I have to admit defeat, I cannot get to the root of this problem. I have changed the plugs, coilpacks, MAF sensor, coolant temp sensor, throttle body and also put some STP injector cleaner through the fuel system as well (in case it was a blocked injector). The car still stutters on acceleration and now cuts out at the odd junction as well. It's not as bad as before but still not right. I haven't got the MAP sensor or new pedal yet but I cannot see them fixing this either.

Could it be an 02 sensor, the turbo, the CAT?????

Going to have to take it to Star to try and get this fixed.

Last edited:

bigboost

all your symtoms remind me of when i didnt tighten my inlet manifold down enough, are you sure you have no leaks.
apart from that im no help, sorry

neil

EB20VT

Feb 5, 2005
West Yorkshire
A similar thing happened to my Ibiza, i would put my foot down and it would just jerk really bad and it was down on power. I changed the MAF, N75 and Coilpacks to try sort it. I then got it Vag Com'ed (should really have done this first :doh:) and turned out to be the MAP, one of the wires had snapped on the plug, got it fixed and its back to normal now.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
The new accelerator pedal finally arrived today, along with a MAP sensor from Feel. Unfortunately the MAP sensor is the wrong one, looks alot smaller than mine.

I removed my MAP sensor today, only to find the retaining clip on the plug is broken, so the plug is not held on tight. Also, in the picture below, should this (circled in red) part be exposed to open air?

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n191/robd67/map1.jpg

It wasn't, it had tape over it. Would a loose plug or this part covered up cause these issues?

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n191/robd67/map2.jpg

I have ordered a new plug from VAG Parts, might as well order a new MAP sensor too.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I always knew there were 16mm and 12mm MAP sensors - maybe the 16mm ones are earlier :shrug: Sorry about that.

I don't know what the red circled bit on yours is, I don't remember seeing it before.

MAP sensors ain't cheap, so you might be better off making sure the plug is tightly on and TBH I can't see one not making good contact if the clip has broken. A deftly place cable tie would make sure it wasn't going to come adrift. Maybe if your's has been on and off a few times, a blaster of contact cleaner wouldn't be a bad idea - although if the MAP connection was dodgy, you'd get an "implausible signal".

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I've had that and also the check DV as well.

I have ordered a new MAP sensor and plug for it from VAG Parts, along with a new throttle body gasket. Once I've fitted the new pedal and MAP sensor, if THAT doesn't fix the problem then it will have to go into the hands of the 'experts'!

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I hate these kind of issues. Gets to the point where you throw cash at suspect parts and end up no better off. My car spent a day in the SEAT dealers (LCR2), and nowt found. Within 10 minutes of Vince at Stealth Racing doing a brief road test, got back and found a hairline fracture in a hose on the DV caused by overtightening of a jubilee clip.

Best of luck getting it sorted as its a right b@llache when you run round in circles looking for faults.

Nikk

Sounds like its not fueling right either, have you tried a fuel filter? a friend of mine had a clogged filter which caused his car to pop and bang an shudder....

test the fuel pressure?

have you looked at the throttle bodies action with the TB hose off? e.g some one pressing the pedal with igniton on while you watch? does it open and close smoothly?