Thumbs up for EBC...

Credit due where its due, the greenstuff/yellowstuff etc pads get a total hammering on many sites, which does bring the EBC brand down, but...

I bought a set of EBC Ultimax discs, and a set of ATE pads to go with them and they are very very good! They are 'dimpled' discs, and have a black layer which turns back to the silver brake disc colour after a bit of use/wear in.

And the ATE pads are fine - cheap too.

When these pads wear out i'll be getting straight on the phone to Bill to order some DS2500's, but I simply HAD to change my brakes last week and Euro car parts were the only ones local with stock of items needed.

So, the pads by EBC may be terrible, but the discs are good!

Prebs

Dec 28, 2004
Norway, Bergen
Credit due where its due, the greenstuff/yellowstuff etc pads get a total hammering on many sites, which does bring the EBC brand down, but...

I bought a set of EBC Ultimax discs, and a set of ATE pads to go with them and they are very very good! They are 'dimpled' discs, and have a black layer which turns back to the silver brake disc colour after a bit of use/wear in.

And the ATE pads are fine - cheap too.

When these pads wear out i'll be getting straight on the phone to Bill to order some DS2500's, but I simply HAD to change my brakes last week and Euro car parts were the only ones local with stock of items needed.

So, the pads by EBC may be terrible, but the discs are good!

I dont agree on this!! EBC disk a SHITE and rust´s like hell. Get some decent disk from Bill and a set of DS2500...

Prebs

cuprachrissy

i have a set of ebc drilled and grooved discs and cant complain, also have the ds2500's!

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
I dont agree on this!! EBC disk a SHITE and rust´s like hell. Get some decent disk from Bill and a set of DS2500...

Prebs

I advise you to spray the narrow sides of discs no matter which ones you buy, so they don't rust. Same as the hub.

Prebs

Dec 28, 2004
Norway, Bergen
I advise you to spray the narrow sides of discs no matter which ones you buy, so they don't rust. Same as the hub.

Yeah I agree, I always use copper spray when mounting these parts...

It´s not only the discs, even their "extreme" brake fluid (EBC 307+) is something I will advise people not to buy. I was banned from track before start becouse the fluid was containig to much water and that was after 6 months use... So I will never purchase a EBC product again!!! EVER!

Prebs

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2007
cheshire
Yeah I agree, I always use copper spray when mounting these parts...

It´s not only the discs, even their "extreme" brake fluid (EBC 307+) is something I will advise people not to buy. I was banned from track before start becouse the fluid was containig to much water and that was after 6 months use... So I will never purchase a EBC product again!!! EVER!

Prebs

they tested your brake fluid before you could go on a track??? never heard of that before.

i run standard discs and ebc yellow stuff pads, and i have great stopping power i think, plus ive never had brake fade with these pads! my mate is also running them ona mk2 golf 1.8 20vt turbo tack car and hes never had brake fade ether and thats track abuse

Prebs

Dec 28, 2004
Norway, Bergen
Over here (Norway) they always check our brake fluid before going on track on trackdays. They simplu use an instrument wich tell you how much water it contains as I absorbes water after time. This is done to prevent brake fluid to boil under heavy use.
Stay with motul RBF 660 now, ferroddo DS2500 and a pair of decent disk and very pleased but I´m on brembo now so it´s supposed to stop aswell:)

I guess it´s all up to what you chose and what experince you make with it, for me EBC is all shite but others my think it´s the best thats the love of it:)

Prebs

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Over here (Norway) they always check our brake fluid before going on track on trackdays. They simplu use an instrument wich tell you how much water it contains as I absorbes water after time. This is done to prevent brake fluid to boil under heavy use.
Stay with motul RBF 660 now, ferroddo DS2500 and a pair of decent disk and very pleased but I´m on brembo now so it´s supposed to stop aswell:)

I guess it´s all up to what you chose and what experince you make with it, for me EBC is all shite but others my think it´s the best thats the love of it:) Prebs

Checking the "wetness" of brake fluid is a smart idea and only takes minutes to do. I wonder why that test is not included into MOT tests - it would not cost very much to add in - and it would force people to change their fluid regularly. I think that Brembo discs should be very good as they are proper mainstream brake system designers and manufacturers. I fitted ATE Power Discs to my B5 Passat last week - I've used them before so was just replacing them, but I do wish that I had gone for some Brembo lightly grooved discs - the ATE Power Discs are good value for money and help stop cold wet weather brake "wash-out" on cars with "rear mounted" front callipers.

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
I had EBC drilled and grooved disks and ebc greenstuff pads.

The pads were ok, but the the disks, were shocking. I took them off ater a month, and replaced them with some richtea biscuits, which were more effective.
I then replaced these with the old ones i'd taken off.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
ebc turbo grooved disks are'nt something I presonally like, ultimax work better (quieter)
combination of EBC disks & pads is where most people reports they dont like ebc... however ebc disks and DS2500's pads its majority a different more +ve story

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members