Ticking Noise from engine of '16 SEAT Leon 1.6 Diesel

Nov 22, 2021
Hi All,

Recently picked up a 2016 SEAT Leon 1.6 Diesel and noticed a ticking noise coming from the engine on the drivers side.

First time driving a SEAT and my initial worry is the timing belt and more specifically the tensioner. I have a 12 month warranty from an independent dealer but worried he will try to fob me off and say its normal.

Has anyone had this issue before and is it safe to drive with it?

I have attached a link to a video of the noise and its much louder and clearer in person.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
If you mean the 'chirping' noise, it's probably the pulley tensioner. When mine started to make that noise, it was only first thing in the morning.

As it's a 2016 car, the cambelt should have been replaced recently (unless it was registered during Dec 2016), as it should be done every 5 years. Check to see if this has been done, as the pulley tensioner should have been replaced as part of it.

If the car was sold with a 'full service history' but you cannot see if the cambelt has been done, have a word with the dealer and tell them this should have been replaced.

Nov 22, 2021
Hi Steve,

Yeah the chirping is probably a better description, mine is consistent throughout the day, no difference if its first thing in the morning or after a decent drive.

Timing belt hasn't been done, dealer is claiming 120k miles it is to be done at. Its on 80k at the moment. He doesn't seem interested in dealing with it unless it goes but that's another completely issue if that happens.

Is it still capable to drive the car? I have left it up until I get some clarification on the issue.

Thanks.

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Hi Mark,

Have a look in the mk3 manuals in the forum for the service interval on timing. If it’s a timing belt, it won’t be 120k, if it’s a chain then maybe so. Belts, for the 2.0L diesel, are every 60k miles or 5 years. It sounds like the dealer is trying to work his way out of doing it!

With the noise, it could be timing related or it could be oil pump related, see the link below

cheers,
Jay

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members