• Evo Magazine are looking for a mint and (and ideally unmodified) Leon Cupra Sub8 to drive and photograph for a feature. Find out more here .
  • Hey Guest👍👎 We're looking for reviews of your local CUPRA or SEAT Dealership - it's quick and easy to do: Leave a review now

bummer

Active Member
Jan 7, 2012
1
0
Hi all, great forum! Can any one help me with this question?

When does the timing belt need changing on 1.4 sport 16v mk 4 ibiza? Its got the BXW engine.

Any help appreciated, cheers :)
 
I have the same car / engine as you.

The service book says 60k miles or 4 years.

Then it should be done every 20k miles after this.
 
I have the same car / engine as you.

The service book says 60k miles or 4 years.

Then it should be done every 20k miles after this.

I think the every 20K after this is not right at all. Some manufacturers, say visually check at (say) 40K then visually check every 20K after that, VAG say say change at 90,000Km/60,000Miles or 4 years which ever happens first.

Just think about it, after 4 years you have got a VAG dealer to replace original VAG parts with new VAG parts - then you are expected to come back after a further 2oK miles and get the same done. Not even VAG dealers would tell you that story!
 
Last edited:
Hmm I will double check that part in the book. 60k / 4 years is def correct. I may have misread the other part.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Double checked it, I misread the Haynes manual. Sorry

Should be changed at 4yrs then inspected every 20k miles up to 120k when it needs changed


4bc563e8.jpg
 
VW group recommend its replaced at 40k miles or 4years.