Timing belt

danjohns88

Oct 14, 2021
Bolton
Hi all,
Apologies if this has been asked before but I am just about to sell my car and I am looking for information about the replacement of the timing belt and water pump. I've seen contrasting opinions with regards to when it should be replaced...so when should it be? Is it age related or is it mileage related?
Mines a LCR AMK 2003.
Thanks in advance for any info

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
Well I've not long changed mine along with waterpump mine was on 7 year to be fair too long, but my mate who fitted it said probably every 5yrs or 60ish thousand. It's something you easily forget about as well.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
6 years or 60k is a good guide.

But you'll get a different answer from different people. They did recommend 4 years / 40k at one point, but I think that was with the crappy plastic impeller from the factory.

I had one on 17k miles but it hadn't been changed for 9 years and it still looked fresh when I had it changed.

danjohns88

Oct 14, 2021
Bolton
6 years or 60k is a good guide.

But you'll get a different answer from different people. They did recommend 4 years / 40k at one point, but I think that was with the crappy plastic impeller from the factory.

I had one on 17k miles but it hadn't been changed for 9 years and it still looked fresh when I had it changed.
Yeah I bought the car last year, the cam belt was done 6 years ago but has only done around 10k miles since. Think I'll get it changed for piece of mind before selling, unless I sell to the trade.

Thanks for your reply 👍

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
VW changed the recommend too 4 yr 60k including water pump, it use tobe 5years 60k including water pump, that's with there brand belt used, get mine changed every 4yr but use a gates kit and vw water pump just for peace of mind as it is mapped also even though i do max 2k a year, every belt i seen come out of mine looked new though but that's after the event, your like i could of done a load more miles, yet i am still on the original alternator belt and that's exposed

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
If you’ve had the water pump fitted with a metal impeller then I guess you can leave it slightly longer.
I had a water pump fail on my first Cupra bit it was the plastic version.
Belts seem to hold up well, but I don’t muck about and change mine when purchase the car and then as per instructions as it were.
Always gone short not long if a time thing as I do no mileage.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Not relevant, but.............
The service guides are all over the place for the ASV engine. I've seen 60k, 100k, 120k, 40k, who knows?
I think the weakest links are the guide pullies. If you start hearing them start to chitter or other funky noises, time to get a move on.
Don't get scammmed by the Ebay scum selling "genuine Gates" kit, that when it turns up,
will be in a sellotaped "genuine gates" box, with the pullies & tensioners replaced with no name chinese crap.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Not relevant, but.............
The service guides are all over the place for the ASV engine. I've seen 60k, 100k, 120k, 40k, who knows?
I think the weakest links are the guide pullies. If you start hearing them start to chitter or other funky noises, time to get a move on.
Don't get scammmed by the Ebay scum selling "genuine Gates" kit, that when it turns up,
will be in a sellotaped "genuine gates" box, with the pullies & tensioners replaced with no name chinese crap.

when I got mine looking at cam belt change replace dates were all over but they settled at 4yr 60k it was same with metal water pump they changed that years ago too the plastic type as there was a big problem think it was like 2002 it changed , every car site I was getting the impression it just happened but it wasn’t, I just get garage to do it as they get gates and a genuine pump as there is an part exchange when sending in the old pump , I ordered parts the first time around and like you say eBay give me a headache so I ordered for TPS I think we’re the gates kit come with iNi pulleys

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.