Tire sizes for Ateca 18"

hamst

Jun 5, 2020
Hey Guys,

Still thinking of changing my standard 17" wheels to the one in the photo (18")

I just have a some how stupid question. Is the tire size standard for the 18" wheels? Or can I install a wider than 225?

Is the 18"wheel significantly heavier than the 17" ones?

SmartSelect_20201215-000756_Leboncoin.jpg

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
On width I'd stick to whatever Seat sell on its 18" models... which is 215 / 50 R18. For all weather tyres which is what I went with my 19" with the width of 225 is considered not as good as something smaller. The upper end of all weather tyre performance.

My 19" are these as fitted originally, kept to that spec but all weather Michelin.

Tires 225/45 R19 92W low rolling resistance

18" with less width would be better for grip if you went the all weather tyre route.

My two pennies worth. Anyhow the Mitchelins run fine.

Reactions: hamst

Loai548

May 14, 2021
On width I'd stick to whatever Seat sell on its 18" models... which is 215 / 50 R18. For all weather tyres which is what I went with my 19" with the width of 225 is considered not as good as something smaller. The upper end of all weather tyre performance.

My 19" are these as fitted originally, kept to that spec but all weather Michelin.

Tires 225/45 R19 92W low rolling resistance

18" with less width would be better for grip if you went the all weather tyre route.

My two pennies worth. Anyhow the Mitchelins run fine.
Dear Tell

My ateca also has 215/50 R18
I bought it as a used car. And the tires was inflated at 45 psi.
I looked into the lable on the front door ( attached a picture). I'm a bit confused, how many psi should i inflate these tires with mild load ( most of the time, 3 persons at max).

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210521_143727.jpg
    20210521_143727.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 102

Tell

Staff member
Dear Tell

My ateca also has 215/50 R18
I bought it as a used car. And the tires was inflated at 45 psi.
I looked into the lable on the front door ( attached a picture). I'm a bit confused, how many psi should i inflate these tires with mild load ( most of the time, 3 persons at max).

Thanks
That should be the top line. The i line is the comfort setting with a soft ride. Bottom line is fully loaded.

From the manual attached.
20210525_215759.png

Last edited:

Loai548

May 14, 2021
That should be the top line. The i line is the comfort setting with a soft ride. Bottom line is fully loaded.

From the manual attached. View attachment 24722
So, the top lines says 36 psi. However, i think this setting is for the size written at to left bottom of the sticker which is 125/70 R18.
I'm asking about the tires on the car physicly which is 215/50 R18.
Is it the same?
Thanks

Tell

Staff member
So, the top lines says 36 psi. However, i think this setting is for the size written at to left bottom of the sticker which is 125/70 R18.
I'm asking about the tires on the car physicly which is 215/50 R18.
Is it the same?
Thanks
The bottom line 125/70 R18 is the skinny spare wheel in the boot if supplied which runs at a higher pressure since its a "skinny", not full width.

Those sticky labels apply to the factory fitted wheels. The 19' wheels have a different setting, may be if it's diesel etc. They don't say in the manual what the tyre pressures should be against what is supplied, that is only on the sticker you have found.

The other thing is to use your own fancy digital tyre pressure gauge which beeps when it's in the correct range, 1/2 +/- psi. Mine toggles between front and back, so you store the target figure and select it. Pump pressure gauges are notorious for being inaccurate so you check with your own gauge. Use my own electric pump which also stops when it gets to a given level. Tend to go one PSI over, test.

Loai548

May 14, 2021
The bottom line 125/70 R18 is the skinny spare wheel in the boot if supplied which runs at a higher pressure since its a "skinny", not full width.

Those sticky labels apply to the factory fitted wheels. The 19' wheels have a different setting, may be if it's diesel etc. They don't say in the manual what the tyre pressures should be against what is supplied, that is only on the sticker you have found.

The other thing is to use your own fancy digital tyre pressure gauge which beeps when it's in the correct range, 1/2 +/- psi. Mine toggles between front and back, so you store the target figure and select it. Pump pressure gauges are notorious for being inaccurate so you check with your own gauge. Use my own electric pump which also stops when it gets to a given level. Tend to go one PSI over, test.
Thanks Tell
I didn't understand well about the gauge thing. And the beeb, we don't have any device in our country that will inflate to the best pressure and then beeb. We have to select the psi number on the machine abd inflate once it reached that number it beebs, even for electronic devices.

I will stick with the lable so i will inflate to 36 psi.
Thanks for the info about the spare wheel, i didn't know it before.

Regards

Tell

Staff member
Thanks Tell
I didn't understand well about the gauge thing. And the beeb, we don't have any device in our country that will inflate to the best pressure and then beeb. We have to select the psi number on the machine abd inflate once it reached that number it beebs, even for electronic devices.

I will stick with the lable so i will inflate to 36 psi.
Thanks for the info about the spare wheel, i didn't know it before.

Regards
I use one of these, you might find it branded under a different name in your country.

Toggles between front and back so you dont need to keep looking at the sticky label once you have set it up. Really a cross check on the pump you use. You can deflate with it if you over inflate.

I don't find the handling of the Ateca too effected by incorrect tyre pressure other cars I've had were more critical to get it spot on.

Loai548

May 14, 2021
I use one of these, you might find it branded under a different name in your country.

Toggles between front and back so you dont need to keep looking at the sticky label once you have set it up. Really a cross check on the pump you use. You can deflate with it if you over inflate.

I don't find the handling of the Ateca too effected by incorrect tyre pressure other cars I've had were more critical to get it spot on.
Thanks very much, i don't think we have such device in our country, will double check.

Thanks again

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.