To chip or...buy a 330D???

Ronseal

Controversial maybe, but what does everyone think.

Chip my 2004 Mk1 cupra Tdi with probably a new clutch at same time, or splash out on a 330D with 231bhp and 500NM torque, leather etc etc

I can picture it now, like a scene out of Monty Python..."blasphemy...stone him!"

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
If you can offord it the BMW every time

How much are 330D's??

I doubt ud get a stoneing as we buy these cars as they are the best and cheapest for what they do so if u can splurge we wont stop u but do post a comparison so we can all drbble!!

BlackIce

I had a similar dilemma when deciding on what car to go for, a Leon Cupra TDi, 320d or 330d - you dont get anywhere near the same age car with a beemer for the price. £5k bought me a decent 54 plate Cupra TDi - the same dollar would have bought me a 52-53 unsporty 320d with higher mileage or a 99-01 330d (admitedly sporty) but with starship enterprice mileage. And even though they look good on paper (45mpg / 0-60 in 7.6s) they are the unsporty 5 door not the nice 2 door.

However, if you have money to burn the above is irrelavent lol!!

gus

Jun 27, 2006
bmw all the way im looking to change to one of these but i really love the fact my ibiza tdi remapped is so much fun :))

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
hmm if you can afford a newish 330d then probably the way forward but dont forget the service costs etc mind you a trip to DMS should help..

gus

Jun 27, 2006
i think if u can afford it go for the later 204bhp model as the early 184 model is a bit slugish but still pokey!

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I think BM's are over rated for the money.

The ultimate driving machine pahh. The new Z4 got spanked by the Boxster.

Anyway I know its diesel and admit that BMW do a good line in diesels. However, in this instance they cost a third as much again as a SEAT. A 330d 04 plate according to Parkers at a franchised dealer would be £10,630. An equivalent mileage Leon Cupra PD150 would be £7960, a difference of £2670 or a third as much again as the SEAT.

All that for a paultry 204bhp. This is a six cylinder engine with half as much again capacity. :rolleyes:

Although the BMW is a better car (subjective), I don't think its that much better.

Running costs will also be a lot higher including 35mpg for something that is more common than a Mondeo (I refer to 3 series sales over recent years).

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
I'm in two minds...

when i purchased my fr+, the garage had a red 4dr 330D Msport, fabia vrs and fr+... the fabia was too small so it was down to the bmw and seat.. both at same price, seat had 40k and bmw 60k. when i sat in the bmw i found the seating position a bit odd, like my feet pointed left and steering wheel to the right.... i didnt like it one bit. that and also a bit of research showed the bmw turbos are prone to fail early put me off the car.
i do wish i test drove it however, but i dont know why i didnt....

got the seat but everytime i see a 330D i always wonder what if....

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
my both uncles have the e46 msport & the other the newest one E whatever 330d msport
i do love driving it ,

its the automatic which im quite liking now driving them , always cocked my nose up at autos in the past

but to flick it into drive and off we go is awsome, and to switch to sport is even better

the power is amazing , it just keeps pulling smoothly you dont know your hitting a ton ,

i would have got one , but they both have them (estate versions )

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East
Why not go for a MK2 Leon FR??

I had a 184bhp 330d 3 years ago and I would say that the MK2 Leon is much more fun to be in and live with. The BM was a tad boring for my liking.

You car'nt knock the BM's for their precise steering with them being RWD and that 6 cylinder is to die for. The newer one's can be remapped way beyond 300bhp.

javorb

a digital tuning unit and a performance air filter is an easy and great mod on the bmw engines:D

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
My dads got a 330d se on a 54 plate with all the extras...standard mind but nice car still pretty quick...but with the kind of power your talking sounds like fun...id go rwd over fwd for high power anyway for drivability aswell...