To Remap or Leave Standard

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East
Good Morning all,

I'm still undecided of what I should do with my Cupra. Should I remap it or leave it standard.

The only things that are making me hold back are:-

1) What will the effect of resale be if the car has been modded?
2) Can I still obtain extended warranty on the car after 3 years old?
3) Do I use the car enough to warrant a remap? 6000 - 7000 miles a year

Most of the time I use the car I carn't even use the full power anyway and with another few bhp will I really need it?

I'm only asking the above questions as I am quite nervous of the fact that once you've modified a car there's no going back.

The car has been very reliable and no running problems to fault. I bought the car back in December 2007 with 8700 miles and now it has just over 19,000 miles. As you can see not a lot of miles in two years.

Thanks in advance.

RickyD

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Good Morning all,

I'm still undecided of what I should do with my Cupra. Should I remap it or leave it standard.

Most of the time I use the car I carn't even use the full power anyway and with another few bhp will I really need it?

I'm only asking the above questions as I am quite nervous of the fact that once you've modified a car there's no going back.

The car has been very reliable and no running problems to fault. I bought the car back in December 2007 with 8700 miles and now it has just over 19,000 miles. As you can see not a
lot of miles in two years.

Thanks in advance.

RickyD

remap it!

You can always get it flashed back to standard at a later date if you want to.

Remaps usually void your warrenty but depending on the dealer it's usually ok

it doesn't matter how many miles you do a remap will always be better

nc30rider

Feb 8, 2009
Where ever the wife tells me
Good Morning all,

The car has been very reliable and no running problems to fault. I bought the car back in December 2007 with 8700 miles and now it has just over 19,000 miles. As you can see not a lot of miles in two years.

Thanks in advance.

RickyD

Bluefin allows you to put back the cars original map if you want to get warranty work/servicing done or sell it

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=80

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/LeonCupra 240bhp.pdf

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
If your keeping the car and you enjoy driving it then a remap will put a smile on your face everytime. Your not too far away so come down to me and i,ll take you out in mine - if it doesn,t put a :) on your face you need to sell up and buy a Micra[B)]

Jan 15, 2009
Kent
I have revo stage 1 and use the switch to change back to standard map as and when required, eg warranty work, driving to work (as its only ever in traffic) etc

nc30rider

Feb 8, 2009
Where ever the wife tells me
I have revo stage 1 and use the switch to change back to standard map as and when required, eg warranty work, driving to work (as its only ever in traffic) etc

Think that only puts the car back to a 'REVO' stock map, not the original one.
The beauty of Bluefin it puts the proper one in, the only difference being the flash count inside the ECU

RickyD1975

Jan 2, 2008
North East
If your keeping the car and you enjoy driving it then a remap will put a smile on your face everytime. Your not too far away so come down to me and i,ll take you out in mine - if it doesn,t put a :) on your face you need to sell up and buy a Micra[B)]

Ryan, I will be keeping the car for at least another two or three years. Thanks for the offer on taking me out for a blast in yours. I may see you at the next local RR day out.

Cheers

RickyD

RobsCupra

Oct 21, 2008
Wrexham
Hi Ricky, I got your PM t'other day but I can't reply because it tells me you haven't got receiving pm's enabled.

Definitely go for the remap. Bluefin is great beacuse it actually give you a supplementary warranty too and you really won't be disappointed with the performance!

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I'm waiting to remap mine until I get yearning for a bit more power. Despite my FR having less than my old LCR I'm happy with the power right now 20 months in. I eventually plan to spend quite a bit on it but as I've had it from new and will be keeping it for a good 5 years+ there is no rush for me!

RickyD1975

Jan 2, 2008
North East
Hi Ricky, I got your PM t'other day but I can't reply because it tells me you haven't got receiving pm's enabled.

Definitely go for the remap. Bluefin is great beacuse it actually give you a supplementary warranty too and you really won't be disappointed with the performance!

Strange, I've checked my set-up and PM's are enabled. I have been seriously thinking about Bluefin for quite some time now and if I go for it, it will be Stage 1;)

RickyD1975

Jan 2, 2008
North East
I'm waiting to remap mine until I get yearning for a bit more power. Despite my FR having less than my old LCR I'm happy with the power right now 20 months in. I eventually plan to spend quite a bit on it but as I've had it from new and will be keeping it for a good 5 years+ there is no rush for me!

I'm also having the same thoughts as I will be keeping the car at least another 2 - 3 years so plenty of time.

The Cupra is going to be a very difficult car to replace. Let's see what comes onto the market within the next few years, maybe a Leon Mk3;).

I do still love the thought of a 3 - 4 year old Audi RS4, BMW E90 M3, or Porsche 911 (997)......But I think the other half would go spare with a car that age.

Price of the new S4 3.0 Supercharged are way over list at the moment also.

The Stigness

i say remap is the way to go
i have done it and never looked back .. (well occasionally i look back in the rearview mirror at all the other cars i am leaving behind)
ha ha ha ha :D

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
Remap it, but just go to stage 1.

Like Adam's Cupra, I have gone for REVO and really like the improvement, (also 5-7Mpg extra in normal driving) whilst it's still very driveable in normal road conditions...more "Supercar" than "Racing car"...

RickyD1975

Jan 2, 2008
North East
After reading RobH's terrible news regarding his turbo going, this makes me worry.

I suppose Rob's may only be an isolated case of a turbo going, hopefully. I would hate to get a remap done, then for the car not to run well i.e. misfire, have a flat spot and then the worst the turbo going.

Its all if's and but's and the turbo could go even with my car running in standard form.

As the warranty runs out in March my thoughts were to get a third party one for another 2 - 3 years.

If someone did go wrong would it just be a case of taking the map off and hope that the warranty company pays out.

Anyone else had any experiences of claiming from a third party warranty company?

robs is stg2 + though... i would definatly reccomend bluefin, it makes a good car great and stg1 will be more than enough for you. Bluefin is not as aggressive as other maps on stg1 so power comes in higher up the rev range but it is addictive.

I've had bluefin on my past 3 cars and the cupra is the 4th, i'm not sure if it will make the decision for you but ...

Focus TDCi remapped at 10k covered 54k when sold -no issues
GOlf GT TDi 140ps remapped at 22k covered 52k when sold - no issues
Audi A3 TDi 140ps DSG remapped at 25k covered 41k when sold - no issues
Cupra remapped at 9k now covered 12500 and it still makes me smile :)

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I'm wondering whether Rob's car is a one off. The Revo RT360 has the $h1t kicked out of it on track and mag sessions and keeps going on and on.

Occasionally you will get an odd manufacturing weakness or defect, and there are plenty of Stg. 2 cars running good and strong.

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
i would still get the remap Ricky i dont know if its deffinatly the turbo it might just be a blown pipe but bluefin can be set back to standard incase of unfortunate events :lol:.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members