Toledo V5 - Fuel economy

stuart_00000

CAN ANYONE HELP?

I have a Toledo V5 2000X, and it has a problem I cant get my head around.
The fuel econnomy is on the pants side....I am driving like an angel and only managing about 24mpg. The car runs fine, smooth and has plenty of low down torque, no flat spots or hesitation. The only notiocable thing from the car is some soot from the exhaust on start up, which disapeers as soon as the engine has some heat in it.

The car has hit the magical 100k miles and is due a major service, is this service going to help or is something else causing a problem?
This is the second V5 I have owned, it's predecessor used to return over 30mpg even with a heavy right foot.

Any help would be great.
Cheers.

StuC

F1 Smart?
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
I know this might sound a bit odd. I wonder if there is something in the air/fuel/exhaust system that is over compensating and throwing in more fuel than necessary.
Its odd that you haven't notice a drop in performance though.

Have you had VAGCOM hooked up to it to see if that throws up any errors?

craigomatic

Could it be the type of driving you are doing.

I have the same model with similar mileage and I've found that whatever I do around town I can't get over the low 20s, but out on long runs have reached 38, but only if I drive like my car's made of glass. Overall it averages 30-32

stuart_00000

Could it be the type of driving you are doing.

I have the same model with similar mileage and I've found that whatever I do around town I can't get over the low 20s, but out on long runs have reached 38, but only if I drive like my car's made of glass. Overall it averages 30-32

Maybe you have hit the nail on the head there, all my driving is local and I have yet to give it a good long motorway run.
The around town MPG seems identical to yours, will just have to sacrifice some fuel and check it's long range MPG.

I have someone looking over the car in a few days time, if there are any problems they should be found.

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
www.gardensandhouses.co.uk
It does sound low, but if you are just doing runs around town, 24 would be about right. I was living in Northern Spain last year and in a small town with only 1 road in and out of it. If anybody knows the town of Cadaques, then you know what I'm talking about. Getting anywhere over 3rd gear in the place, your doing well. I was lucky if I would average 20mpg whilst there. It was fine once I left the town to go else where, but in town, forget it.

It might also be worth cleaning out your throttle body. You can either remove it and clean it with a solution (can't remember what it is though) or spray some stuff down the air intake making sure to spray it in after the maf sensor. I do mine once a year along with a fuel system cleaner. The car is a 99 T V5 and has done 130k and showes no signs of ill health or loss of performance etc...

a_very_dark_day

I've found if even thinking about driving quickly around town I'm lucky to get around 20mpg, on a long stretch at 80-85mph on a motorway, it's much more frugal. Don't ask me why or how, but it returns 40-45mpg as oppsed to 34-37 @ 70. On regular trips from Exeter to Bideford I can return 44mpg every time, thats on a 50-60mph A road, driving smooth and steady.

I just like the fact you can drive everywhere in 5fth gear with a car load of people!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.