Toledo v5 - Should I?

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Hi all,

It's been a while since I frequented this forum when I had an Ibiza 20VT. I have since had a couple of MG ZS, currently a 2003 180 model which is great.
However, It is a bit harsh over the bumps for the kids and I am looking at mabye getting something a bit more refined and comfortable. I have seen a Toledo in a local garage for sale. It's a 2004 model with 37K on the clock and they are looking for just under £5K. I remember having a test drive of one a few years back when I had the Beezer and being very impressed.

I suppose the first thing is, what do you people think of this car? Also, If I was to have a look at it what should I look out for in terms of common problems with this model?

Last edited:

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

It would seem they are not without their niggles although most cars have this. I thought this was a very good price for a 2004 model, obviously depreciation on these cars is nearly as bad as MG. Might offer them a straight swap :p

dchbrown

Feb 17, 2006
South Coast
i had a MG ZS a couple of years ago and i agree about the suspension!!

Ive got a V5 now and its a really nice car. It goes very well and the sound is amazing!! Its also very comfortable over distances and considering youve got a v6 at the minute the fuel consumption wont be too different

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Exactly, not too worried about the fuel consumption but would prefer something a bit more refined but still has a bit of oomph. So apart from MAF, brake switch, fan fuse anything else to watch out for or check when viewing?

toledo sport

Aug 27, 2006
kewe, are you getting this car from a dealer and do they give a six month warranty, and if they don't ask why not because it's got average miles should have been well serviced.

Deleted member 5241

Check the aircon, start it up and when the revs have settled a bit select the snowflake button. The engien should lose revs momentarily then pick up again and the vents should get icy cold.

If not you should be able to see the end of the compressor at the front of the engine which is driven by a drive belt. There should be a black cap on there which engages the drive of the compressor and gives you the aircon. If its missing its at least a £500 bill if you go independant and a damn sight more if you go through the dealer. Mine was missing when I bought it....

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
I suppose the first thing is, what do you people think of this car?

The Toledo V5 is a well kept secret. Sure the Toledo suffers the depreciation problem, but if you plan to keep it long term it wont owe you anything.
The V5 is stunningly well equipped for the price. and an 04......for under 5K, over average miles (look for service history)......dont think it sounds to bad at all!:blink:
in fact test drive it, HPI it check it over (is the trim battered? paintwork messed up etc) because it sounds like a good deal from here

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Check the aircon, start it up and when the revs have settled a bit select the snowflake button. The engien should lose revs momentarily then pick up again and the vents should get icy cold.

If not you should be able to see the end of the compressor at the front of the engine which is driven by a drive belt. There should be a black cap on there which engages the drive of the compressor and gives you the aircon. If its missing its at least a £500 bill if you go independant and a damn sight more if you go through the dealer. Mine was missing when I bought it....

And while your at it check the engine fans turn slowly when the engine is cold and the climate is on and that they stop when you turn the climate off.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Good info guys, thanks.

Unfortunatley the car sold, but the info you have all supplied I hope to use in the future.

Anyone with a v5 looking to swap for a ZS 180 ;)

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
Would you be interested in mine?

40k on the clock, loads spent etc. Had everything done as far as common faults.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Bigfella, your car looks very smart. But we are very far apart in terms of distance. Let me know what sort of deal you're thinking of? If you like PM me for more details.

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
Well I like having a change!

Will see what Kewe and I come up with. Not sure whats worth what tbh.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Well just to update you all, the deal went through!

I now have Matts Toledo and he has my ZS. We are both delighted with our new cars and I look forward to participating once again on the Seatcupra forum.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members