Tombstoneuk's Mk2 Silver Cupra NOW STAGE 2+

Tombstoneuk

Mar 5, 2010
Loughborough
Hey everyone!

One or two of you might know of me but I've been a bit of a lurker but its time to come out of the woodwork and show my car to everyone.

Previously owning a red Mazda RX8, I wanted a new car and after looking round at everything you can imagine, from Evos to Mustangs to Lotus', I finally decided to be sensible and get a car with decent fuel economy and a good modding potential.

I was originally looking at a black K1, but then a Silver Cupra turned up at my local VW garage at almost £6000 less with less mileage as well. So I went down, drove it and bought it with the intention of Revo asap.

I got Revo Stage 1 put on 8 days later and as you well know it completely changed to car from a quick hatchback to something that really does pull like an evo.
My car made 240bhp exactly standard, and 283bhp on a mixture of cheapo fuel and v-power (thanks VW for the nasty fuel lol), so im guessing 290bhp sounds about right once it was pure v-power.

Originally I was going to go just stage 1 and then get a catback for some noise and leave it, however that was never going to happen realistically. I'm the sort of person who always wants more.

Here are some pics I took not long ago,

Cupra1sml.jpg

Cupra2sml.jpg

Cupra3sml.jpg

I then started to look round at exhausts and was trying to decide on make and whether to go turboback or just downpipe, when Poverty decided to sell the stuff of his K1 after he got his Audi. So I managed to get his Blueflame Downpipe and Sports Cat which was then fitted on and I was quite impressed with the difference it made.

The turbo definitely spools up quicker and pulls harder, but it also changed the noise slightly, a tad deeper and louder but also slightly more aggressive. In my opinion it no longer sounded like a diesel lol.

My girlfriends housemate invited me to a trackday at Cadwell Park in October with some of his friends, which I accepted, although I was a bit nervous about being shown up as he has a M3 CSL, and his friends have lotus', vx220 turbo and a supercharged mx5.

I went with them and got the expected jokes of chav, boy racer, hoodies and my car being slow, but once we were on the back roads near there they soon changed their opinion of it. The owner of the vx220 gave me the best compliment by saying '*#%#in 'ell ur cars quick, I had to proper boot it to stay with u!'

On the track it handled better than I expected and I was impressed with the brakes, however it was the raw power down the straights which surprised a lot of people, and I left a few 911s embarrassed :funk:

Apart from have nowhere as much grip in the bends as my friends cars, the only negative thing I could say was that it seemed to take an age to be able to get the power down coming out of the slower corners due to the huge torque and fwd.

Here are a few pics from the day taken by the photographer there.

DSC_1241a.jpg

DSC_1575.jpg

And here is me being chased by my mates CSL.

DSC_1593.jpg

On 3 wheels!

DSC_1594.jpg

I let him through on the next straight as I was holding him up in the corners, although we were almost identical on the straights, which pleased me and annoyed him.

I then got some Autotech HPFP Internals from a group buy on vagoc and had them fitted.
After some problems with a sensor snapping and then having the replacement fuel pump incorrectly assembled by chimps at VW.
Once everything was sorted I noticed another increase in torque.

I've just booked my car in for a service and Revo Stage 2 to go on. I decided to wait for the weather to get a bit better before I get a Twintake and go to Stage 2+.

Also deciding on what bits to get to help put the power down.

I've been out in Invisible's car and although his car wasn't running quite right it managed to get the power down much better than mine. He has WALK and some wishbone bushes if I recall correctly.

I just cant wait for the spring so the roads will dry out and I can give it some proper stick again"

Last edited:

Tombstoneuk

Mar 5, 2010
Loughborough
Just a quick update,
I got stage 2 put on today, mainly to get rid of that annoying check engine light caused by my downpipe.
Got it on the dyno and it made 311bhp so an increase of almost 30bhp but also made 346lbft which is an increase of almost 50lbft over the original stage 1.
It now pulls much better than before, 3rd pulls like 2nd used to, 4th pulls like 3rd an so on. It also sounds a tad louder but I might just be imagining it lol.

Really happy with the result from stage 2 so just need to buy a twintake and then go stage 2+.

Then I need to decide whether to buy mounts or a catback first. Decisions decisions lol.

I'll post the dyno sheet when I get chance but might be a few days.

Tombstoneuk

Mar 5, 2010
Loughborough
Revo quote 315bhp and 325lbft for stage 2 but iv got the hpfp instead of an intake so it's bound to be a bit different. I'm not too hung up on the numbers cos it feels so good on the road.
We'll have to have a little road test one time soon to compare.

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
Revo quote 315bhp and 325lbft for stage 2 but iv got the hpfp instead of an intake so it's bound to be a bit different. I'm not too hung up on the numbers cos it feels so good on the road.
We'll have to have a little road test one time soon to compare.

Yes mate, be interesting to compare. Just got to get my clutch done, then I can put the map back on.

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
I've gone for a LUK OEM for now. only cost £470.00, then my mate is going to fit it for me. Monster motorsport's cupra is running as you know 353bhp, with the original clutch. So hopefully for now, that will do.

DJ-LIAMC

VAGisclean
May 31, 2009
Loughborough
Monsters rollers are heartbreakers, We had a RR day and everyone was under expected, so if u used a different RR maybe u will get better power.

Poverty

Looking good mate, all you need now is an intake and the stage 2 plus code to take advantage of those internals and see what difference that makes. Its like having a remap on top of the remap. Absolutely bonkers car then!

Tombstoneuk

Mar 5, 2010
Loughborough
Yeah iv heard that monsters rollers are a but stingy, but I'd rather that than go to some cowboy and think iv got a million bhp when I haven't. I'm keeping my eyes open for a r/r day somewhere so I can compare it.

And I want an intake very badly lol. I was gonna get one when I got paid next week but i think my cambelt is making a funny noise so I think I'm gonna do that for peace of mind.

It only does it when the engine is cold and sounds like a short hiss being repeated in time with the engine. It's due a cambelt change this year anyway.

I'm loving the big increase in torque, just can't wait to get stage 2+ put on. The more I think about it the more I'm tempted to whip my credit card out and just do it lol. But I must be strong.

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
Mine has recently started to make a similar noise too! I don't know whether to wait till September when it's four years old.

There is a company at the Quorn Business park, called Street Racers. I had my car RR'd at Monster, then at Street Racers on the same weekend. She made 297bhp on both dyno's (which are different makes).

Tombstoneuk

Mar 5, 2010
Loughborough
Might have to check them out for a comparison as I live in quorn.

I'm gonna get my cambelt done asap as I don't wanna take the risk of it breaking.
Then I'll get stage 2+ done and see what power it makes. If it's lower than it should be then Ill probably see the master tech at revo as iv heard amazing things about him.

I'm not too concerned about low power yet as it's close to what revo say it should be, and I can't find another car with the same mods to compare it to.

Just hope if there is something wrong it's something simple like pcv, and not engine threatening.

Tombstoneuk

Mar 5, 2010
Loughborough
Finally got my ITG fitted today along with the Stage 2+ code!

Just as they'd come back from the road test to check everything was ok, it started bloody raining! :cry:

First impression is that I could not believe how loud it was. I've been out in Invisible's car as well as Monsters cupra and I dont remember it being quite that noticeable. Although Invisible's cupra was only stage 1 so i'm guessing not as much air was rushing through it. And Monsters cupra has the full Blueflame tbe so that seemed to be the main noise feature.

It definitely makes a lot of noise when you put your foot down but it is also quite easy to keep quiet as long as you can be gentle with your right foot. And of course my mpg has dropped by about 10mpg as I keep putting my foot down and lifting off to get that amazing warble sound :D

I drove round the back roads for a little bit admiring the noise and gave it a poke but the traction control was having none of it at all. So i turned it off and it was just wheelspin city :(

So I conceded that it wasn't my day so made my way home.

However, when I got within about half a mile of my house, I did notice that the ground was dry and it looked as though it hadn't rained here yet, so I made a slight detour onto the bypass near me and turned the tc off.

Jesus! :-o It pulls substantially harder than before and keeps pulling hard from about 2.5k rpm all the way to the redline. Before it would pull hard then die off just before 5k, im guessing because the engine literally couldn't get enough air in with the standard intake.

I have to say if anyone is even considering going stage 2+, find someone to take you out and you will not believe its the same car. I finally truly understand what Poverty once said about selling it straight away if he had to go back to standard lol.

The problem is then what to possibly upgrade to in the years to come, that offers the same power potential, for as little outlay, with such low running costs.
Answers on a postcard I think lol.

I'm thinking about getting a catback next for a bit more noise as the intake seems to shout over the engine. Then again I'd like engine mounts. Then again i'd like to do the suspension. AH! Decisions decisions lol.

Tombstoneuk

Mar 5, 2010
Loughborough
Quick update.

Just ordered a blueflame catback on a group buy with a huge discount, so looking forward to having the noise to match the performance!

It's time to save for a holiday but after that I think it's gonna have to be a new clutch to be honest. It's not slipping yet but I know it's only a matter of time before the inevitable.

BTW It's really difficult to find decent clips of a blueflame on a cupra so once I get it and put it on I'm gonna try and make a few videos to show how it sounds.