Toooo Much Torque

runnerpart2

Runnerpart2
May 23, 2009
Leeds
Hello ive just bought MJ's old Seat Leon Cupra, it has been remapped and modded to the max. The problem i have with it is that it has TOOO much torque and it cant get the power down on the road and wheel spins all the way up to 4th gear when i put my foot down. so what im looking to do is:

Reduce wheel spin
Get power down on the road
Reduce smoking (Diesel)
Better on fuel (running rich) wasted fuel

i think the issue is down to the remapping so i was woundering if it is worth going down a stage to reduce all of these problems if anyone can help please reply to my thread all advice will be appriciated.

Runnerpart2 :rolleyes:

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Better throttle control? There must be some point on the map where traction is still available, even if you're lifting the clutch from idle?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
1st and second were never any good and did just spin but in 3rd onwards it used to go like a train. Once you've drove it for a while you'll get used to it but a custom map is whats required to fine tweak the settings.

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
Just learn how much power you can put down before the wheels spin or buy a Honda Jazz.

This is i pay too much for insurance!!! :ban:

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
The problem i have with it is that it has TOOO much torque and it cant get the power down on the road and wheel spins all the way up to 4th gear when i put my foot down.

Thats where the problem is then.

Well if it doesnt get the power down on the road all it is doing is wearing out my tires and wasting fuel, thats where the problem is mate.

They have this same problem in Formula 1, but they came up with a really innovative way round it. Instead of the drivers just flooring it all the time they give the car as much throttle as conditions allow. If the wheels spin then they lose traction and consequently speed, so they back off a little and as a result, go faster. But it keeps the torque and power available for higher gears where it can be used if required.

Sounds like you need a milder map to me.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Something isnt right because you havent got "too much torque". I have 360-380lb/ft and I still get good traction. What tyres are you using?

What are your handling mods?

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Agreed mate, just be more careful on throttle, just do what i do and be very gentle with the throttle for the first few gears!!

runnerpart2

Runnerpart2
May 23, 2009
Leeds
Well ill hav go at taking it alittle easier on Throttle, but not saying i wan2 do a racing start all the time put i dont wan2 just crawl off the lights things like that!

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Yeh i understand mate, tell me something has your previous cars been petrol? High powered diesels are difficult lol, if i put my foot down in 1st and keep it down through the gears it'll spin up in the first 4 gears! Even a slight throttle in 2nd will spin it, you just need to learn to control the power, it's difficult with high powered diesels:)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
There's a limit to how much traction you can use in any given circumstance. If you detune the car so you can boot it flat footed at any opportunity then you lose the ability to use the vehicle to its maximum when you can. If you limit the amount of torque with your right foot so that you can boot it away from the lights (to use your example) then you'll always use just the right amount of torque and get the best traction at all times. You don't have to have your foot on the floor to go quickly from a standing start, where's the driving skill in that?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
What tyres are you using?

What are your handling mods?

:lol: Ha ha yeh i forgot about that! the tyres i had on it were the cheapest pieces of black rubber tat i have ever seen!!! they came free with the wheels and were made by some crappy company called suni-track - so sticking some better tyres on might help.

Bare in mind that the tyres were 225/40r18s and they were able to give a full set away so they must have only cost £25-30 each!

In comparrison - the Pirelli Scorpion STRs on my truck are £125 a corner.

Last edited:

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
shite tyres again going to be helping things but just drive it upto its limit of traction, just seems like common sense to me tbh

runnerpart2

Runnerpart2
May 23, 2009
Leeds
So any recommendations on what type of remap is recommended for better on fuel, little less torque, less smoke. Without drastically effecting the speed? With the tourque i cant judge the speed of the car until later gears like 3 only on rolling start.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.