Top 3 Tyres - i need a 3rd choice.

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
the bridgestones are **** imo.

I couldn't agree more!!! I couldn't get rid of mine quick enough. Went to Dunlop Sport Maxx TT's which were miles better. Now on Goodyear Eagle F1 assy which are even better.
Next on the list to try are the toyo R1R's. I read a rave review about them in an american car mag.

My 3rd choice tyre on your list would be Toyo T1Rs or R1Rs

I have Toyo Proxes T1-R's fitted, I do drive 'briskly' and can vouch for the grip in both wet and dry. It really made a difference particularly in the wet and I reckon you can get 25,000 miles and still have fun with them.
Done a bit of circuit racing with the standard ones on 17's and a few with the T1-R's on my 18's and was lapping a lot quicker.

Only thing is the rim protector is non existant...my black and red team dynamics have some war wounds :(

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
Davey,

I have Hankook K107 S1 Evo Ventus 225/40/R18 fitted to my Cupra all round and I am very impressed with them. They are wearing well and good grip wet or dry.

I have heard these are better than the Hankook V12's.

Just had a full set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's, £84 each corner from Camskill. Fitting, balancing, disposal was £11 each from Kwik-Fit. So far feel great but seems to be a tad more road noise than the original Bridgestones... :confused: Good rim protection though.

Had two sets of F1 GSD3's on my last Leon Mk1, then decided to try some Avon ZZ3's which were equally as good - nothing to choose between them in my experience, apart from the Avons being a whole load cheaper!

Have read some reviews that the F1 GSD3's are not as good on the Mk2 Leon..? Assymetrics are allegedely better and the way forward? :shrug:

Too much is down to an indivdual's driving style and what they want the tyres for in the end. :)

VADER182

QUOTE (i had toyo t1rs on mine and they were absolute shIte. they were dangerous i found for the first few hundred miles before scubbing in. car understeered like crazy, it was like driving on ice skates. So bad that i thought something hadnt been done up when i had the tracking done at the same time and took it back to the garage for recheking.

once scrubbed in they were good, but thats it. id rate them as good as the michelin exaltos i had on my car from stock.

i used to frequent the nurburgring on weekends alot when i lived in moenchongladbach in germany(joys of being paid to work in germany), and on a hot dat(30 degreesish) managed to over heat the tyres, and had absolutely no grip on them, until i let them cool down.
then had vredesteins fitted the morning before another day trip to the ring, so the scrubbing in period was the 92 mile journey to the ring and then about 10 laps of the ring. Even on that first lap the vreds out perfomed the toyos by a long shot. not bad considering i paid 30 pound less a corner) QUOTE.

Yep never had vredesteins, so cant comment on them. Another work car has f1 assymetrics and they are good.

Surprised by your experience with T1-R's, were they on your VRS?? Suppose different cars have different handling characteristics and to be fair, would put money on a 182 running rings round any boggo Leon, Octavia or Golf no matter what tyres they had on!!!!!

F8 CMR

Sep 6, 2009
South Shields
i have T1-R's all round on my car and they have been amazing grip all the time and i canrt complain i ordered some R1'R's to replace my warn down frotn tyres and im getting them fitted on saturday mornign so wll let you know how they go:)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.