Torque Pro

• Thread starter Deleted member 103408
  • Start date

Deleted member 103408

Excuse you me, my money first (all £2.95 off it), at the moment I am using a phone for this and using a phone holder, not got round to data loggin yet but I do a bit of logging of live data using OBD11 (and now Torque Pro) that you can export into Excel to do analysis.

It looks like on Torque Pro you can do some good logging but I will look at that later.

Currently my plan is to put a small tablet on the right hand side of the dash or maybe mount it in the centre.

Obviously those who have the newer screens can put it on the Radio screen like this

Reactions: paddy6789

DorsetChap

Jun 3, 2016
Dorset
You're probably past this, but if you Google Torque Pro Wiki there's some info there. There's also an interesting thread here;
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=415791
It's for TDI's but gives a PID file and gives a flavour of creating custom PID's
I've got a mk1 LCR and some of the more interesting stuff isn't 'green' on the app list, so it suggests I'd need custom PID's, but I don't really understand it all. If someone does manage a custom PID for a mk1 petrol I'd be grateful if they would post up the file.
The TDI csv file doesn't add anything for my LCR.
As an aside, I'm using a VGate WiFi dongle that will connect to a friend's iPhone as well as my Android phone, although they have to use another app as Torque Pro isn't available on iPhone. On my android phone there's no discernible lag on Torque Pro.
Another feature I've yet to try is the facility to reverse the image (in settings) to make a HUD - head up display.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Excuse you me, my money first (all £2.95 off it)

Haha i've had way too much sugar this morning, thought i'd through in a little banter.

That does look good on the main screen but i'm not that fancy :cry:

I'd be interested on some of the stats it gets, Just found some nice themes which I may try so it's more night time friendly (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rey.torquetheme602&hl=en)

As for custom PIDs I think that's slightly out of my understanding haha someone must of done something... I'll have a google

Cheers

Deleted member 103408

Couple bits of information that I have discovered this morning, When you pair your bluetooth device you can choose faster communication and under the logging section you can set the logging time intervals.

You can also set up the interface to hide unsupported sensors.

Log files just append the data to the single zip file and you can very easily email it to yourself and then clear it down when you want to start fresh.

But you can clear the logs (I chose .CSV Format) but you can show it in pictures if you just want map data.

Speed you can use onboard speed as well as GPS,

Example log file (I was just testing how it worked and exported can be found here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jPf7atoBk5Xjhum11XmXlE0qNGZlwpyB there are two data logs here second one starts at line 649 and as you will see i have added in extra items.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
That's some good logs, the difference between the GPS and on board speed is interesting.

Have you enabled most of the stuff you want on the logs now?

I bet this would be good for when you hit the track as it does pitch and g force doesn't it...

Cheers

Deleted member 103408

That's some good logs, the difference between the GPS and on board speed is interesting.

Have you enabled most of the stuff you want on the logs now

no i am just playing setup anx compaing vs obd11 live data output. speed on VW is always a bit of a mistory and gps is as good as the signal i guess anyway its domething to play sith that dont spend lots of money

I bet this would be good for when you hit the track as it does pitch and g force doesn't it...

Cheers

Being a bit of a nob I did not get my message posted as well.

Speed issue using VW Speed there are lots of people across the VAG Group who complain that speedo (both analogue and electronic) are way out.
GPS I am guessing can be affected by signal problems, no idea but lets face it if you put both values on there at least you can take the average to get a near truth answer :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jimbobcook

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
The thing I like about it is that is actually doesn't cost a lot of money as is fairly self contained , technically any Android device could run this so tonight i'm going to play with my usb to OBDII lead and a couple of Android devices to see what works best.

Deleted member 103408

@Gokiwi64 I agree, small cheap and does the job. I use OBD11 to do stuff on the car, they have a lot of live data feeds but this is much easier to configure and use. over time i will look at making PID for myself it dont look like complicated coding to me.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Just realised that I have an Android tablet! App bought and downloaded, ODB2 Bluetooth connector ordered...let’s get playing!

How’s everyone finding it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 103408

So far so good, just found my old small tablet now trying to work out how i can fix it to the car and use the bigger screen.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I saw this as I have the choice of my phone or an amazon tablet which doesn't seem to have the app available which sucks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keple-Wind...d=1534754724&sr=8-20&keywords=fire+tablet+car

I did see a few silicon versions for my phone but i'm unsure if they will take the power of acceleration lol

I've got a 3 hour journey up north on Wednesday that I was planning on using this for so may just have it for logging and see what comes up. Boost gauges etc may have to wait.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Just setup what I'll be logging tomorrow on the nice long early morning journey, see what happens... I'm pretty sure my battery will die way before I get there lol sucks only having 1 USB port haha

Deleted member 103408

Jim you are on a modding site, build yourself a few extra USB Ports or go the cheap option and get a USB Port splitter.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Jim you are on a modding site, build yourself a few extra USB Ports or go the cheap option and get a USB Port splitter.
I was going to move my ipod into the glove box out of site but that would take effort to get everything together but it does sound like an idea... If this torque thing is a goer then I think I need a tablet instead of my phone.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Gave the app a go on my journey to and from today with adjustment in between. I think a tablet maybe a little distracting to have out in the car if I'm honest.

May look into an a pillar mount for my phone to see if that looks any good.

Good app and not sure how accurate the data is as I have nothing else to go on lol

Deleted member 103408

I think for road use i will have 3 dials with alarms on my phone (OIL & Water Temp plus boost guage.

On the track there will be a few more along with recording of lots of data :)

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Some one asked about accuracy I have just a single screen with a boost gauge , The gauge on start up with the engine at operating temperature and 800 rpm idle shows -11.29psi and a maximum boost of 13.26psi. Not sure how you can compare those figures as most after market boost gauges are not capable of that accuracy.
Also am I right in thinking that there would be other things affecting those figures that Torque could not know about , leaky piston type recirc valve, faulty turbo (seals etc) , incorrect N75 valve (there are 4 variants) ??

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
My top tip is if you choose half dials, it automatically logs the min and max for you. As for accuracy, as far as I'm aware, Torque logs what the ECU sees. So effectively what the ECU "thinks" the car is doing, not actually what's going on in the pipework.

00ySldC.png

Deleted member 103408

Yes all these tools only show you what the ECU thinks is going on not what is in the pipe. For that you need to have it fitted to the pipework.

I also noted you can put on alarms so if a value goes above something then it warns you, not tried it yet but its on the list.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.