Torque Steer

rocketmanbdl

Do Ibiza's suffer from torque steer? especially the tdi's? My FR tdi pulls to the left, I just wanna know if this is normall? Cheers

Poverty

is it severe? But yeah even my 1.3 diesel van suffers from torque steer.

rocketmanbdl

it's only slight under normal driving which kinda makes me think its something different, but when u floor it really does try n go off to the left. I've heard of clio 182's having this problem. I'm gonna see what happens when i brake

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
welcome to the site rocketmanbdl :wave:

is it when your accelerting or when your driving along and let the car go where it wants to it pulls left??? as it is a VERY common problem the beezers all pull left very slightly or in some cases alot. but if its torque steer mine doesnt torque steer that much!

rocketmanbdl

oh right, yeah if i'm driving down the motorway it will change lanes for me almost, it does seem to be worse the slower i go. I was just worried something more serious was wrong with it, but if its a common problem then no worries. 1.9pd 130bhp awsome engine!

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
they all pull left for some unknown reson only thing i can think of is where they are made in spain they drive on the right hand side of the road maybe they have made it so the car fights into the road CAMBER slightly so it stays in a straight line but of course for us driving on the left it makes it worse :(

Mikey_H

258.7BHP 39?ft/lb
Feb 15, 2007
Buckingham
my car does suffer a bit when i floor it it try's to take the wheel out of your hands but its not massivly it didn't when i just had a re-map :s

rocketmanbdl

so what happens? does more power go to one of the wheels? would a re-map solve the problem?

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
they all pull left for some unknown reson only thing i can think of is where they are made in spain they drive on the right hand side of the road maybe they have made it so the car fights into the road CAMBER slightly so it stays in a straight line but of course for us driving on the left it makes it worse :(

I've read about this on here before but strangely mine stays dead straight.

Maybe the alignment is out and so it counteracts it :p

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
the poiwer will go to the n?s wheel as the driveshaft is shorter but this only realy applies to grip/wheelspin rather than pulling left

kriso- quite alot of people dont have problems but this is a common fault with most beezers as long as my tread wears evenly which it does even with coilovers im happy just hold on tight to te steering-wheel :D

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
I used to have this problem till I hit a road sign that had fallen over coming through some roadwork’s, seat redone the tracking and now it pulls to the right!:think:

Weird thing tyres wear evenly, so not overly conserned as the tracking is right

gazjones

as rash says his car dosent suffer from it mine didnt and they have been most powerfull petrol ibiza mk4's. and what yes they do seem to vear left but get a 4 wheel alignment done and that sorted mine out.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
if it's a case of the car wandering left when your cruising down the motorway it sounds like you have a wheel alignment problem, most tyre places can do basic wheel alignment

or you could have a void bush failure that is making one wheel sit squint and causing the problem under hard throttle/power

void bushes or cupra void-less bushes can be fitted quite easy

pauliepaul

stop making my car dirty
Aug 19, 2007
cornwall
mine steers to the right oh so slightly in 2nd

and it's good to hear about pulling to the left... thought i'd have to get my wheels all checked before i get the wheels fitted!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
oh right, yeah if i'm driving down the motorway it will change lanes for me almost, it does seem to be worse the slower i go.
If it's that bad, and only happens when accelerating or braking, then it sounds like one of your suspension bushes has gone - allowing the geometry to change under load.
(In which case the tracking you've already had done will be meaningless anyway!)

Hindey

Clio 197
Nov 25, 2001
London
Torque steer happens when you really boot it; it's an urgent, tugging of the car one way that feels 'out of the oridnary'. I've only had torque steer on wet roads or loose surfaces, usually pulling away quickly using second gear.

A car veering to one side all the time is another problem.

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
Mine doesn't do this anymore - its lowered 85mm + and got bigger/wider wheels/tyres :)

That's the cure... lower it, get 17's with wider tyres :D