towing a caravan

mef

hi guys i bought a caravan and only got the ibiza gti to pull it with its been lowerd with springs and has got 17s do u think this will be ok or do i swap the rear springs with standard ones also got told to fit a towbar i will need to cut 50x150 mm out of the bumper aaaarg what do u think

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
i'd sell the gti and buy a golf/toledo/passatt tdi, the GTi's aren't meant for it.

If your gonna put standard springs on then your going to have to put them back on the front too or its going to look stupid and drive horribly.

Don't cut the rear bumper because theres no going back, get a custom fit tow bar instead.

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
I have towed caravans for many years, and as said the weight is the first question you need to ask, next is you need low down power, I used to tow my 1100kg Van with a Ford Mondeo 2.0L and a 1.9 TDi Focus and the focus was a far better tow car than the Mondeo.
My Mondeo was lowered and I had no problems at all but again I had used springs and shocks, with just springs I would say you will be on the bump stops.
If you have never towed before I would say don't start with an Ibiza.