Travel Assist UK

KCH1nd

Jun 11, 2022
I have a Formentor on order and I am trying to clarify if any of the UK trims have Travel Assist.
On the Cupra UK Formentor page under the technology drop down, there is mention of a semi autonomous driving feature called "Travel Assist" that uses both the ACC and Lane Assist in tandem to keep you in the centre of the lane, even around corners and accelerating and braking for you (sort of like Tesla's Autopilot albeit without some of the fancy features). There is also a video on the Cupra UK Youtube page Showing off this feature. The problem is, the manual shows that you need to have a specific icon on your steering wheel of a car on a road rather than the generic split circle assistant shortcut button (you can see the required icon and instructions on Page 256 and 257 of the manual), and there is zero mention of "Travel Assist" on the UK Formentor pricelist for any trim level including optional upgrades. Every video I've seen of this feature in use has been on another European countries' Formentor spec and never a UK Spec. I have never seen a video of a UK Spec with the correct Icon on the steering wheel either. What I can tell is that the Lane Assist in the UK essentially steers you back into the centre when you veer off into the edge of the lane, rather than autonomously turning the steering wheel to keep you consistently in the centre, like the Travel Assist does in other countries.
Cupra have told me that if it isn't in the UK pricelist then it isn't in any of the cars in this country basically, but that seems so stupid to me to literally advertise it on their UK website as a technology feature, AND on their UK YouTube Page with a feature explanation video but then not actually offering it on the car at all, even as an option!
Can any of my fellow UK Cupra customers help me figure this out?

KCH1nd

Jun 11, 2022
This is what it the manual says is needed for "Travel Assist":
Screenshot 2022-06-14 132723.png

Supa Koopa

Mar 13, 2022
Yup on my VZ2 as well. It makes me chuckle that Cupra UK don't know what is on their cars, but strangely I'm also not surprised. :ROFLMAO:

It works okay and does take some getting used to, but think of it for motorway driving rather than Tesla's autonomous driving. I've tried it on other roads and it does work but on tighter turns you have to take over otherwise it would send you of in to a hedge. It feels like it only has a small steering radius so anything over that and it throws a paddy. Of course that's fine on motorways. Obviously just my experiences before I get flamed again.

Reactions: KCH1nd

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Haven't tried it in tight bends, but I can say that the road needs to be very well defined in terms of stripes or good contrast between curb/road for the car to know where to be. Don't trust it if this is not the case.

Other than that I really like it, but we do have generally well maintained roads here. It's perfect for when you gotta fiddle with something and don't have the time/place to pull over.

Reactions: Supa Koopa

MrP

Formentor VZ Edition
May 15, 2015
To throw a spanner in the works.

I currently have a VZ Edition (essentially a fancy VZ3) which has the travel assist. The early brochures had a clear mention of travel assist.

I've since placed an order for a new VZ3 and as the OP stated. There's no mention of travel assist anywhere anymore.

So the question is had it been removed from the spec for new cars?

Sep 15, 2022
I have tried the coding to turn on "Lane Assist" without a capacitive steering wheel. Is there some sort of coding to turn off the "Please take control" warnings or even to extend the timeout?
Thanks

CalumLewis

Oct 14, 2022
Hi there - new to the forum. Just wondering if anyone cleared this up?

I've been offered a very good deal on a Formentor VZ2 eHybrid 245, but turned it down as the leasing company advised that Travel Assist is not available due to the chip shortage, so has been removed from the specification. The UK brochure still lists 'Lane Change Assist' as part of the Safety XL pack though, which relies on the Travel Assist to be active. Similarly, the Cupra websites for other countries (Spain, for example) still seem to list Travel Assist as an available option.

Has anyone recently received a Cupra with the XL pack and did it include Travel Assist?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members