Tuning Box Question

FOX1429

Aug 6, 2012
Wales
Hi,

I currently have a 2012 FR CR143.

Am seriously considering a Tuning Box (TDI Tuning) and just wanted a bit of advice.

I only have 1000 miles on the clock at the moment.

1. What sort of milage do you think I need before fitting the Box? I was thinking about 6000 (6 months).

2. Do I need to upgrade anything on the standard car to use the box? To be honest I dont want to mess with anything else and if it was a case that I should upgrade other elements I may re-consider the box itself.

3. Does the Box cause any known/identified issues over 3yrs/30-35,000 miles (as this is how long I will be keeping before trading in for new again).

I have never used a tuning box or re-mapping before hence my questions above may be quite basic/silly but I would appreciate some advice before I commit to anything.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

big rich

VAG techie
Apr 22, 2011
south yorkshire
They are just glorified resistors that fool the engine management, and clever marketing, i had one a few years back on a mondeo tdci, injectors started leaking shortly after -maybe coincidence maybe not, fitted one to a fiesta tdci zetec s not too long after engine ECU went down, he spent around 1k on new ecu then got it mapped and remarked on how good it felt having a map over the tuning box, including better mpg.

DerbyForget

Apr 1, 2012
Burton on Trent, Staffs
I personally wouldn't go for a tuning box as they contain information for you fuel injection that are generic values that are not custom suited to your vehicle. have you thought about maybe going for a superchips blufin unit??? as iys just as reversible and would be a much better option.

1. you can fit the tuning box or superchips blufin at any mileage... gone are the days of bedding your engine in etc. with your car having done 1000 miles it would be fine now.

2. no upgrades are required for either

3. not sure on reliability but like i say i would trust the blufin over the tuning box any day, they both offer a waranty i believe

regards

bert

DerbyForget

Apr 1, 2012
Burton on Trent, Staffs
I personally wouldn't go for a tuning box as they contain information for you fuel injection that are generic values that are not custom suited to your vehicle. have you thought about maybe going for a superchips blufin unit??? as iys just as reversible and would be a much better option.

1. you can fit the tuning box or superchips blufin at any mileage... gone are the days of bedding your engine in etc. with your car having done 1000 miles it would be fine now.

3. not sure on reliability but like i say i would trust the blufin over the tuning box any day, they both offer a waranty i believe

regards

bert

FOX1429

Aug 6, 2012
Wales

regards

bert

A friend mentioned Blufin to me and I did have a look online however pretty sure they didn't do one for the FR CR143. Will have a check again though. Thanks for the replies so far.
Much appreciated.

I have done a bit of reading up on the boxes. I understand the (very) basics of the analogue boxes which as you say are just resistors etc.

I was under the impression that the newer digital Boxes were more sophisticated and tailored to your specific vehicle (or so the marketing would have us believe?).

Last edited: