Tuning & mods

Dovla_ktm

Jan 22, 2021
Didn’t find any thread about modifications so created one.

My dealer (EU) told me that Akrapovic exhaust pops up on additional equipment list. No price yet but it stands that production time is 7 weeks.

We were also talking about ABT tuning and warranty.Factory warranty is void but didn’t precise me what exactly that means. ABT is giving from 1 to 3 years or 100 000 km,additional 300-900 eur. It’s unclear if factory warranty is fully void or just for motor,clutch and other parts which can be affected by ABT tuning box.
My dealer sent official inquiry to factory so hope they get some answers.

Even my car didn’t arrive yet, I ordered some little things...😬
Carbon fiber mirror caps, think they will come great with graphene grey colour.
Also ordered resonator delete pipe kit from Progressive parts. They put some videos on facebook and think the sound with their kit is just perfect for me. Not too loud, just little bit sharper and more pops and bangs.
Also there’s already exhaust systems for sale, Supersprint (3500 eur), Fox (2000 eur), Hurricane (2500 eur)...
Heard it on youtube, sounds ok but too much for my everyday ride.
About chiptuning, JB4 sounds OK with good reviews (on other VAG same engine cars) but don’t know if it’s discoverable with new factory diagnostics. If not, good option for tuning and same time keeping warranty.

Attachments

• 0080721A-F15D-4DD2-9598-F3FD3A57C59E.jpeg
    0080721A-F15D-4DD2-9598-F3FD3A57C59E.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 410
  • DC565DCA-9974-4D57-B904-D9A24FEC2B20.jpeg
    DC565DCA-9974-4D57-B904-D9A24FEC2B20.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 410
  • DA3EE444-9E13-492C-B354-5B974AA14B47.jpeg
    DA3EE444-9E13-492C-B354-5B974AA14B47.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 398

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Do you think you'll be able to add Akrapovic onto your order? If you do so, please report here and share the price. I'm about the same build week as you so I will find it useful.

Dovla_ktm

Jan 22, 2021
No, because my vehicle status is "ready for production", waiting for chassis no. next week and after that about 4-5 weeks to arrive.

Think it will be 5k eur.. Too much..

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
No, because my vehicle status is "ready for production", waiting for chassis no. next week and after that about 4-5 weeks to arrive.

Think it will be 5k eur.. Too much..
Thanks. If that is the price I agree, too expensive.

What is the latest delivery date you got? My dealer informed me car should be here around early April (moved quite a bit from early projection of late May). He doesn't give me so many details as your guy, so I don't know exact state of the order.

Dovla_ktm

Jan 22, 2021
Thanks. If that is the price I agree, too expensive.

What is the latest delivery date you got? My dealer informed me car should be here around early April (moved quite a bit from early projection of late May). He doesn't give me so many details as your guy, so I don't know exact state of the order.

Last week of March or first in April! 👌
My dealer ordered hybrid also, coming same time as mine.

Reactions: Peyton

ruivo

Jan 28, 2021
Wondering if any Golf R intake systems would fit the car... Would love to hear the BOV/Turbo sounds
This was the first thing I did on my Up! TSI back in 2018.

Reactions: Dovla_ktm

Dovla_ktm

Jan 22, 2021
Today I got an official info from the dealer. ABT tuning is voiding factory warranty just on parts that are affected with tuning process. In all other cases factory warranty is still on.

ruivo

Jan 28, 2021
I'm in touch with APR waiting for confirmation if this intake will fit the Formentor.
Also the pipe, turbo inlet and the coolant hose. Same modifications you can fit any golf R or leon cupra with no sweat.

Hope to get an OK soon so I can buy and test it out.
Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 12.30.32.png

Reactions: Dovla_ktm

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
Same did me with VWR and Revo. Just waiting to get mine just to pay a visit and check if turbo inlet and others fit. They believe just because is MQB platform will fit but they cannot ensure to me, they want a few hours just to test fit' some parts and... leave some installed in 'appreciation'.

Laughed and joked it about leaving a Stage 1 Revo tune (the chap near me is Revo and VWR dealer) along the programmer.

ruivo

Jan 28, 2021
Same did me with VWR and Revo. Just waiting to get mine just to pay a visit and check if turbo inlet and others fit. They believe just because is MQB platform will fit but they cannot ensure to me, they want a few hours just to test fit' some parts and... leave some installed in 'appreciation'.

Laughed and joked it about leaving a Stage 1 Revo tune (the chap near me is Revo and VWR dealer) along the programmer.

In my case, I don't have any garages here in Dublin AFAIK that could install, and the store I checked, they have a no return policy in case it doesn't fit.

Keep us posted if that works =D

ruivo

Jan 28, 2021
This is the turbo inlet in Cupra Formentor 2.0L:
Cupra-turbo.png

Here's the inlet in the Golf R:
golf-turbo.png

There's slightly difference, so the intake pipes won't match.

Racingline R600 airbox seems to be a safer bet at this stage, but I'm not convinced about the aesthetics and intake sound of it.

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
Hi ruivo!

Thanks for the diagrams, are very revealing (imagine new turbo p/n and ancillary elements) and seeing that turbo elbow and intake tube my gut feeling is they changed a lot on that ea888 gen3 (mind sharing engine code? last time I perused on erwin didn't managed nothing more than DNUE one and is the Ateca one). Need to check another time to see if I find some SSP's for it (geeky petrolhead junkie warning ahead).

I don't bother on airbox. Airbox is fine (I said airbox... ;)) for much more than the stock (or mildly modified ones). Despite the hype created by manufacturers is just a question of how much vacuum is created on the box to see if it really chokes the engine (or not). Snow grate removal and such is not measurable on stock power levels (it falls inside error margin) and can create big havoc if some water manages to get past...

Turbo elbow can make some difference and help to get on the nice area of turbine maps, that's why wanted to take an eye on it (and... maybe on the silencer too).

Really wanting to put my hands on it and start looking some VCDS engine logs...

Reactions: ruivo

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
Reivo, regarding your airbox... some time ago seen this video and those open airbox who draw air from a low pressure place like the engine boot is a bad idea (temp wise too...).

Reactions: ruivo

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
I'm in touch with APR waiting for confirmation if this intake will fit the Formentor.
Also the pipe, turbo inlet and the coolant hose. Same modifications you can fit any golf R or leon cupra with no sweat.

Hope to get an OK soon so I can buy and test it out.
View attachment 22008
I'm not sure on this, but the Formentor EA888 may be Gen 4, not Gen 3. This may be why the pipe sizes are different too.

Zephyr

Just send it!
Dec 28, 2020
Madrid (SPAIN)
I'm not sure on this, but the Formentor EA888 may be Gen 4, not Gen 3. This may be why the pipe sizes are different too.

AFAIK... And may be horribly wrong... the last one is the Gen3B with Budack cycle (2.0TSI Engine with 192HP)... Haven't heard anything about a Gen4 EA888 maybe some longitudinal engines on A4 and such?

ruivo

Jan 28, 2021
Hey @Zephyr

Yeah, I've seen those tests before and my outcome of it was a bit inconclusive, as the external temp also raised around 10F in between both tests, so percent-wise didn't change much on the temperature.

I'm actually looking for is a bit more engine noise, so the open box will do the trick for me.

I'll wait a a bit more for APR to come back to me, and I'll roll the dice on their intake if they don't because it looks SICK!

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
AFAIK... And may be horribly wrong... the last one is the Gen3B with Budack cycle (2.0TSI Engine with 192HP)... Haven't heard anything about a Gen4 EA888 maybe some longitudinal engines on A4 and such?
You know a lot more than me. I just recall an earlier thread when the new gen engine was discussed, and people couldnt find what gen the Formentor engine was!

Yaz2010

Sep 16, 2020
For £420 It's same performance as abt version. And since ABT dealer fit won't be available to existing owners this looks like a good deal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210227-134305_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210227-134305_Samsung Internet.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 335
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.