Turbo Project

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
Due to some interest I will post here onwards what I know about turbocharging the infamous 16v engine. I will also try to explain and reason why I am doing this conversion, how am I doing it, how much is it going to cost me.... just about everything.....

Read on:

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
WHY ?

After a brisk ride in a friends custom turbocharged Astra 16v - of about 250 HP - and making a laugh of a few "pure racing" and 'look how rich i am a have me 645i" drivers - I got very ill.... I got the turbo bug - it strikes you through your eyes looking at the insane acceleration of a 13 year old hatchback and clogs in your brain . forever. Suddenly beer is not tasty anymore , nor is your girlfriend as ineresting as before. And you start asking yourself quiestions - can I do it to my car!?! you quickly go through the 20 century greatest IT invention and read and read and read... and you discover that you can !

HOW?

this is the difficult bit - do you want a streetable every day car or do you want a pure weekend racer? can you afford such a project? well I can't . but that does not stop me as I am going to be reasonable and not cut corners - I will do it once and the proper way. I am not going to go into too much detail apart from the parts I am going to use. When you are dping such a conversion from NA to FI... it is up to you what you will achieve... turbos are tricky as they rule the powerband, so does compression... it is maths basically. choosing a turbo is the trickiest bit, as there are 1000's of options , sizes makes etc. I go for the full monty - Turbonetics T3 Super 60 (external wastegate) - 34lb/hr rated at 340 BHP. It a reasonable choice to achieving 250whp ( as much as my 020 gearbox can take. i hope) with a 5 liter ICooler of a 530d . Why external wastegate? well it does not restrict flow as much as the internally wastegated turbos.

Compression - that was hard choice - as it is going to be a daily driver - i need something that can take traffic and has some power off boost for economy. So the compression is 8.5 with forged pistons.

Manifolds, Injectors, management. - there are a few firms that offer log stile manifolds for turbo projects - I went the other way as I find them restrictive and they require change of the inlet manifold (more money) . So I am going to have a custom built manifold able to take turbo and external wastegate.

Management - after a lot of though - Digi 1 from the G60 VW sista :):):) - it is ok up to 1 bar of boost. it is a cheapy thing to do but I am on a budget. Might have the piggyback SMT6 later on if needed as the new version has boost control option.

PRICELIST - here it goes ( so far) you decide cheap or not . please bear in mind I live in Bulgaria ( I was born there too )

Turbo - brand new - thanks e-bay - 500 EUR
IC - junkyard ( tested at 3 bar ) - 75 EUR
Blow off - thanks e-bay - 100 EUR
Wastegate - .... e-bay - 150 EUR
Manifold - 350 EUR - custom - to be made
Pistons - ~450 EUR
Injectors - 100 EUR

so far everything apart from the IC is brand new, I am to rebuild the engine ... AAARGGGGGHHHH the engine :) it is an ADL 1.8 16v

Whether it would be a dream or a nightmare .....

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
Icecavern said:
sounds good. The main problem seems to be getting a manifold IIRC. Unless you havea custom one made.

Pete

that is the easy bit - setting up the car ( management wise ) is that hard part. that is why a lot of projects end up bust.

that is why I have opted for a reasonable setup - i need reliability . I mean 0.8 bar of boost and 8.5 comp ratio - on a rebuilt engine. turbo is just about right to support that kind of boost without being peaky or laggy.

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
Update:

Pistons are due to arrive.....
Turbo is due to arrive
Injectors are due to arrive...

Everything is down to FEDEX

project is on hold

A bit about the car - high mileage 1.816v Cordoba with upgraded brakes (280 mm G 60 ones) , Bilstein suspension, 15 ' OZ F1 wheels ( to be sold)

BTW I am looking for 16s off a Cupra 4*100 - any ideas???

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
yeah I will keep you updated , of course

so far I am still waiting for the turbo and pistons which are on their way ....

the project would be ready in March

I will try to provide pictures of the build up as much as I can

:think:

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Not wanting to be awkward, but would it be easier to put the 1.8T lump in instead?

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
the 1.8T with 9.5 comp ratio there is not much you can acheve with standard internals ... that turbo is too small ( KO3) - and you have to start all over again - pistons, manifold turbo, intercooler, ..... I find it a waste of money.

I have a friend with a Golf 1.8T with chip at 1.2 bar but power dies at 4 500 rpm....and boost falls to 0.9 bar.. all this is done to prevent detonations - compression ratio is too high to boost properly.

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
some changes and updates

Well

everything is delayed..... I changed my mind on the turbo - due to financial reason s and comlexity- I bought a T3 Super 60 Garrett- INTERNAL wastegate. I spoke to a few gurus overhere and was convinced that the boost I want to run ( up to 1 bar or 15psi) does not really require external wastegate.

Injectors arrived - 380 cc ones - look scary - they have two pretty large holes at the tip about 1mm diameter. :blink:

I got a full Digi 1 harnes and ECU yesterday for only 60 pounds - off a Corrado G60 and spent last night with a friend of mine figuring it out - it looks pretty simple and straight forward - I am not exactly a master of the wiring stuff, but that will be sorted no problem

The low compression pistons are on their way down here - would be in in a week or so...

As soon as I gather everything I will post pictures of the kit and on the whole process

I am now really getting worried - as parts arrive, and the whole project is to be started - would it work at all ?:think: what am i expecting to break:headhurt:

I need some help guys - I need a stronger clutch for 020 transnission - do you have any ideas/prices???? that is the only thing I have not ordered/thought off - my current clutch is relatively new and I guess would hold up to 0.3 bar - run in boost for the first few km-s..... but after that I have no option and change it

Thanks for the help in advance

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
what pistons did you get ?

i had a hells own job getting anything oversize even at std compression

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
wicca said:
the 1.8T with 9.5 comp ratio there is not much you can acheve with standard internals ... that turbo is too small ( KO3) - and you have to start all over again - pistons, manifold turbo, intercooler, ..... I find it a waste of money.

Could you not source a 1.8T with a K03S or K04 turbo, plenty of mapping options and anywhere between 220 and 270bhp approx?

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
well it is a french firm - I will get you the details as a frind of mine ordered them

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
i don't like these turbos - KO3s is small , KO4 is a good turbo but expensive and hard to find - brand new costs a fortune and due to tha variable fins - expensicve to repair

I can easily convert my turbo to t3 t4 afterwards but that woul be a stage 2 :)

as I want reliability - everything is to be done step by step with new parts where possible - i am rebuilding the engine and tranny as well - the rest ( suspension , brakes etc is sorted)

it is my daily driver - and I am really in "love" with my car and don't want to change it for anything - yet .... I want it reliable and torquey

Last edited:

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
wicca said:
...I need some help guys - I need a stronger clutch for 020 transnission - do you have any ideas/prices???? that is the only thing I have not ordered/thought off - my current clutch is relatively new and I guess would hold up to 0.3 bar - run in boost for the first few km-s..... but after that I have no option and change it ...
I think you may want to think about a stronger box in general - the 020 is not known for it's abilities to handle massive amounts of power...

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
Not sure of specific differences between 02A and 02J - but seem to recall that one of the differences is method of clutch actuation (cable vs hydraulic). Output flanges may be another difference, but I forget.

If the 020 is to be used, suggest the differential pins are replaced with bolts... It's probably a good idea whichever 02? VAG 'box is used tbh

wicca

Apr 20, 2004
why change it before it breaks???

and gboxes are 30 pounds in the yard

I know 020 is not strong but it is a hit and miss thing - people have put 500 whp through them ....

I cannot afford AND that conversion at the moment.... but if it becomes a major problem - I will convert:)

Probably will have to take a bit more care driving - no drag racing and stuff

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.