Twenty happy years of Leon ownership

Getgaff

Less bounce, more beans
Mar 14, 2002
Numpty Land
Visit site
Following on from this thread from ten years ago: https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/ten-happy-years-of-leon-ownership.366497/

The Cupra is still going strong with 166,000 miles on the clock. Last six MoTs passed with no failures or advisories, but it just scraped through it’s last one a couple of weeks ago (a few age-related issues to work through). Starts first time every time, remains a pleasure to drive and it’s still on it’s original exhaust!

Has only let me down once in the last ten years and that was the clutch pedal snapping a mile away from home earlier this month. Towed it back, removed the pedal, welded the snapped piece back, reinstalled it and back on the road the same day.

The bodywork could still do with a little TLC, and like me at 50, it’s getting a little worn and rough around the edges.

This’ll likely be my last year of owning it as I’ve set myself a target of finding a replacement within the twelve months. And if I do, it’ll be a sad, sad day when it goes.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Following on from this thread from ten years ago: https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/ten-happy-years-of-leon-ownership.366497/

The Cupra is still going strong with 166,000 miles on the clock. Last six MoTs passed with no failures or advisories, but it just scraped through it’s last one a couple of weeks ago (a few age-related issues to work through). Starts first time every time, remains a pleasure to drive and it’s still on it’s original exhaust!

Has only let me down once in the last ten years and that was the clutch pedal snapping a mile away from home earlier this month. Towed it back, removed the pedal, welded the snapped piece back, reinstalled it and back on the road the same day.

The bodywork could still do with a little TLC, and like me at 50, it’s getting a little worn and rough around the edges.

This’ll likely be my last year of owning it as I’ve set myself a target of finding a replacement within the twelve months. And if I do, it’ll be a sad, sad day when it goes.
The mission is to upgrade to something as reliable well with little work too keep on road, know what you mean at 50 some of the filler in the garage ill be using on myself lol, only rust I've had is roof bars and i forgot about that common fault till too late , drivers front bottom arch but i think that was a stone chip issue, and rear passenger arch were i think that was a bad accident repair as they never used a panel sealer, hope you sort a good one i do like the Mk4 though, you got big mileage on the car but its still low for age..

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol

They really are good reliable cars if looked after. Mines only on 130,000miles, but it has been stage one mapped for the past 10 years. Still on the original turbo too. I think they were made in the perfect era of cars, where you have enough creature comforts to make driving them comfortable, but don't have 25 electronic modules to go wrong.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
They really are good reliable cars if looked after. Mines only on 130,000miles, but it has been stage one mapped for the past 10 years. Still on the original turbo too. I think they were made in the perfect era of cars, where you have enough creature comforts to make driving them comfortable, but don't have 25 electronic modules to go wrong.
only modules we got too worry about is them dam door locks , i salvage parts of the ones that fail i can use, doing good on the original turbo though

Last edited:

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset

Glad you've still got another year. Funny my black Cupra has only ever broken down on the road due to clutch pedal snapping too! I don't use mine as a daily now, too costly on fuel, but it's still my pride & joy. I would encourage you to keep it as long as possible, I miss driving it everyday as I know there is nothing it can't handle. The enjoyment they bring I've not matched with the significantly more powerful cars I've owned, so hope you squeeze in as much fun with it as possible!

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Glad you've still got another year. Funny my black Cupra has only ever broken down on the road due to clutch pedal snapping too! I don't use mine as a daily now, too costly on fuel, but it's still my pride & joy. I would encourage you to keep it as long as possible, I miss driving it everyday as I know there is nothing it can't handle. The enjoyment they bring I've not matched with the significantly more powerful cars I've owned, so hope you squeeze in as much fun with it as possible!
I think i'll be inspecting my clutch pedal for cracks tomorrow lol

Reactions: BadBoy03
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise