twin 40s on 2.0 8v

rocket_ronnie

Aug 10, 2006
Banbury, Oxfordshire
eveytime i think of something to do to my car it either turns out to expensive or not possible......so how about twin 40s on a 2.0 8v, i understand you need to change the head to a 1.8 8v but what else am i missing?

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
u shoudn't need to change the head to the 1.8 8v. Still a bit of work to do as I think you will need to change the electronic fueling to mechnical.

If you got the 100bhp shot of nos, you not really going to get a bigger gain then that.

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
You;ll probably wabt 45's on a 2ltr lump. You'll need the carbs, trumpets, inlet manifold matched to the head and carbs, air filters, filters, throttle cable, gaskets for fitting and a r/r session to get them set up.... They sound fantastic BTW!

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
if you thinking twin 40s might as well go for thottle bodies but that will be expensive.

mmmmmm throttle bodies :redface:

rocket_ronnie

Aug 10, 2006
Banbury, Oxfordshire
i'd love throttle bodies but there silly money. i just thought that twin40/45s would be interesting to do as i doubt many people have done it (that may because there not worth it) and if its only a case of gettin the carbs, trumpets, inlet manifold matched to the head and carbs, air filters, filters, throttle cable, gaskets for fitting and a r/r session to get them set up then its not to difficult

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Its been done, I know of a Mk1 Golf with an ABF on twin 45's.

What about bike throttle bodies? You can pick them up cheap off eBay and then just need management, loom, manifold etc.....

What about upping your NOS? Or instead of having a shot of it, make it progressive ?

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
you'll still want ignition management if you want anywhere near reasonable power, easy enough to set up on megajolt/squirt

But to be honest, as you'll have to go for management for that you may as well invest & do it properly with TB's

but I don't think you'll see any more power

rocket_ronnie

Aug 10, 2006
Banbury, Oxfordshire
i'm currently upping my nitrous to a 150bhp shot but need to get braided lines and a controller before i do that, the only downside with nitrous is it doesnt last forever (11lb bottle = just over 4 minutes) i'm currently building a new head with larger valves, cam etc so we'll see how that goes for now and then maybe save up for throttle bodies.
cheers for the advice guys

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
i'm currently upping my nitrous to a 150bhp shot but need to get braided lines and a controller before i do that, the only downside with nitrous is it doesnt last forever (11lb bottle = just over 4 minutes) i'm currently building a new head with larger valves, cam etc so we'll see how that goes for now and then maybe save up for throttle bodies.
cheers for the advice guys

150 bhp shot :-o Standard 8v only runs 125bhp :lol:

You done anything to the gearbox?

rocket_ronnie

Aug 10, 2006
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Gearbox is standard :shrug: clutch is a 4 paddle one. if i run a 150shot without a contoller i think the gearbox will through in the towel, so i'll get myself a controller and spread the shot over a few seconds, should be interesting then :D

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
that depends really.....

if your gearbox goes & locks solid, your engine will also be skip worthy as it can't just "stop"

cupra_chris_16v

nice idea, but how are you going to get it through mot? cars made after aug 1992 have no chance with twin carbs

mef

i would run twin 40s 45s a bit 2 much for standard head would give u about 30 bhp though and sound and rev great

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
can you claim youve built it and register it on a Q plate or as kit car, then it only has to confrom to 1975 emissions.......

smoke test lol

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members