Two funny noises

16vAK

Dec 25, 2006
I have recently started to experience two noises on my car. Its a petrol 1.4 and has FK coilovers fitted.

Recently one of the balljoint bushes of the droplink had a split and so had the pair replaced with replacement FK ones.

I have never had no noises, and have had the new ones on for about 2 1/2 weeks with no problems. Recently changed to lower profile tyres and after a week theree is noises started to appear.

Noise 1:

The first noise sounds like a bag of spanners and like somethings loose when the drivers side wheel goes over a hump or road bump.

A garage has had a look and can't find the problem or any play anywhere. Only thing that was pointed out was that the ARB is close to the driveshaft

The pic above shows the distance, which is not a lot. However, even with the old fk links with the busted boot the arb sat in the same position and never had a problem. Is this still likely to be the culprit? Do other people with FK coils have a greater distance or is it the same?

Noise 2:
Another noise is a squeek which is when your moving forward at parking speed. Sounds a concentric noise in relation to the slow wheel movement. Anyone know what this could be?

Any help to any of the noises appreciated

Thanks

16vAK

Dec 25, 2006
Thanks mate. I think you might be right as the rear pads seems to be running thin, might be them! Didn't even think about that:doh:

16vAK

Dec 25, 2006
Anyone have any clue to noise 1? its really bugging me now and I don't feel like driving the car anymore just incase it causes any damage.

Just to add to it, it seems funny, but when the car is cold and sitting idle for a long time, the noise goes away completely as normal and it won't appear until you go over a bump that will give the car alot of shock.

Just took it for a spin on a really bumpy road and it didn't make a noise, but i know after an hour of driving it it will re-appear without a doubt.

FRibiza

Jun 16, 2007
Without having a look around its hard to tell. Could be the anti roll bar hitting the drive shaft.

Is that a mark on the shaft where its been rubbing?

16vAK

Dec 25, 2006
Yeah it does look like a light score, which is evidence of fouling.

However it is slightly off line with how the ARB sits above it so not sure whether it is actually caused by it or whether it is meant to be like that on all Ibiza's?.

I say that because its looks like a very accurate mark, not something that looks like damage. However I may be totally wrong.

16vAK

Dec 25, 2006
Bump...

Anyone got any ideas that could possibly be causing noise 1 please?

I'm gonna have a good look tommorow, so would really appreciate if someone could tell me other possible things that could potentially create the noise I describe. Would help alot if I know what kind of things I should be looking at for, instead of cluelessly searching lol.

Thanks very much in advance :)

16vAK

Dec 25, 2006
Well did have a look, and everything from the wishbone bushes to the anti-roll bar bushes appear to be fine.

The only two things I found are either the distance between the ARB and the Driveshaft (as pic above) and how close the wheel is to the brakes.

From the spokes there is probably only 3-4mm of gap. However, when spun when up in the air there is no contact.

I did this straight after when the car was driven to see whether this would be a issue. The wheel moved completely freely without catching.

Just wondering as long as it clears should it be fine no matter how close it is? As the noise only appears when the car has been driven for a while but it sounds more suspension / shock related so not sure whether this tiny distance between both can be ruled out?!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members