Tyre Pressure Monitoring

KathW26

Octane there was no sign of the tyre having a puncture as there were no signs on the tyre and as for someone having let the air out - i'm not complaining about having a puncture and being able to stop it - the part i'm concerned about is that ok yes someone may well have let the tyres down (nice indeed) but when i started the car up the whole point in having a tyre pressure monitoring kit is to alert you when the tyre pressures drop below the set limit - had it of warned me I wouldn't have driven on it - and i could have got the tyre repaired. However, because it didn't i wasn't aware that the tyre was flat and I drove on it - which caused me to buy a new tyre as opposed to a repair - a repair would have cost about £10-£12 a new tyre cost £105!!!!!

Big difference!!!!!

FR_Rob thanks for that I shall contact them tomorrow and then i'm gonna go straight for Seat UK i think!!!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
had it of warned me I wouldn't have driven on it - and i could have got the tyre repaired. However, because it didn't i wasn't aware that the tyre was flat and I drove on it

Good job the car could have auto lights & auto wipers, saves you thinking about that also

What do you do about corners? Will the car warn you of them?

Take some responsibility. It is your car to check that it is roadworthy to drive, not the cars.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
from what i gather the system doesn't monitor the actual pressure in each tyre but instead the rotational speeds whilst travelling so either way it wouldn't warn of a flat tyre prior to pulling away until you'd done 100yds or so

but then technically we are supposed to check all the light's tyres etc before any jouney ourselve's but then no one ever does in reality? should you rightly expect the car to do it all ?

what does the manual state about the system and it's operation ?

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Yep as has been said the system does not measure the actual pressure but just the difference in speeds between wheels. Therefore you need to be driving for it to pick up the problem. Personally i'd notice by the car feeling odd with a completely deflated tyre within the first few yards of driving. I'd straight away stop and the tyre would be fine.

richibizacupra1

hi guys, went to the dealers yesterday and they have said that my cupra is fine even though its used around 4-5 litres of oil in around 1500 miles, he said something about the oil the factory puts in isnt up to the job and it will burn it all off just wondering if anyone else has had problems with their cupras burnin alot of oil, and also the exhaust is very coked up and sooty.
p.s my car has done just over 3000 miles now, any light would be good

Bocawata

Dec 26, 2009
Cumbria
That sounds like MORE Seat Dealer Bullshit to me, 4 to5 litres of "inferior oil" in 1500 miles is not what a NEW CAR should be using,I,ve done 4500 miles and used 1/2 litre of oil. I can,t believe some of the stories I,m reading about Dealers telling Owners that they have to "expect" these short comings in their cars!!!,considering that most of the mechanicals are from VW which is suppose to have such a good reputation I am beginning to wonder if some where down the line their standards have slipped or dropped to well below what we have been led to expect.
Bocawata

richibizacupra1

That sounds like MORE Seat Dealer Bullshit to me, 4 to5 litres of "inferior oil" in 1500 miles is not what a NEW CAR should be using,I,ve done 4500 miles and used 1/2 litre of oil. I can,t believe some of the stories I,m reading about Dealers telling Owners that they have to "expect" these short comings in their cars!!!,considering that most of the mechanicals are from VW which is suppose to have such a good reputation I am beginning to wonder if some where down the line their standards have slipped or dropped to well below what we have been led to expect.
Bocawata

your telling me its bullshit but according to the tech bod at harlow seat garage these engines should be using bout 1/2l every 1000km but when i asked him where the other couple of litres have gone he couldnt come up with an answer i really dont want it to seize up on me or have any lasting damage to the engine

KathW26

Just to give you all an update Seat admitted liability and have agreed to refund the full cos of the tyre, check all the sensors on the Tyres and have also offered a goodwill gesture due to the inconvenience caused!

GrDuDe_Cupra

May 11, 2010
KathW26, silly question but did you actually set the function by pressing the Set button whilst driving?

I read on another forum that this function does not actually measure the pressure in the tyre, it measures the diameter of wheel throught the ABS system.

KathW26

KathW26, silly question but did you actually set the function by pressing the Set button whilst driving?

I read on another forum that this function does not actually measure the pressure in the tyre, it measures the diameter of wheel throught the ABS system.

Yea I set them using the instructions provided in the manual! I've taken it back to the dealer for them to look at and they agree there is a problem with the tyre pressuring monitoring kit but that they have no idea how to fix it so have had to go directly back to seat HQ to try and find out what to do to fix it! I've had the car less than 4 months and it seems to spend most of the time at te dealers whilst they try and resolve the numerous problems that occur!

richibizacupra1

hi guys well still had no luck figuring out why my car uses so much oil, now the harlow seat dealers are trying to tell me that using so much oil in so few miles is doing the engine no harm at all even though it has completly run out once, and then we get to oil in the exhaught system, a few weeks ago i had driven the car for around about a mile to a diff garage to get a second opinion and when the guy put a finger in the exhaught and pulled it out it was as if he had dipped his finger in a pot on oil yet when i brought it to light with the seat dealers they told me there is no way on this earth it could have got there and there not be mountains of smoke pouring from the back, also apparently the new cars run alot richer then normal cars because of the turbo n supercharger but i cant see that as the fuel to air mixture never changes so just wondering wether talkint to seat HQ would do anything or not could someone help im on the verge of rolling the car off beachy head. I never knew owning a new car could be so crap i was really looking forwards to a new life but its turned out to be worse than my old car

Spurt

Seat Bocanegra
Apr 23, 2010
Slough
air to fuel can be changed tbh, lambda reads whats coming out of the engine and sends signals back to ecu to adjust to meet the right emissions, thats the whole point of maf sensors and lambda sensors, its called a closed loop system. but it would detect if its running rich and adapt. perssonnaly i cant see it running rich, unless a sensors faulty..... only reason i can see it running rich is to stop pistons from melting, but not to the poiint its bellowing with smoke lol

but your oil probs deff is a worry, im not using that much at all and some people are drinking it like coca cola.

techie will probs know more.

Last edited:

richibizacupra1

yea but wat the bod up at harlow was saying is that it will always run richer than other cars there is another cupra at harlow which doesnt have a black exhaust but when i questioned it he couldnt come up with an answer why there is a difference i think iv been sold the lemon in the batch

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members