Tyre pressures

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Specific question. My 'new' 2016 Ibiza 1.2 FR came with the optional 215/40 R17 wheels/tyres and according to the filler cap the tyre pressures front and rear should be 38/35. That seems quite high to me. Looking it up on line I get 30/28. What is right?

It brings up a general question. If you buy a car and swap the wheels for say larger, lower profile ones, how do you know what tyre pressure to run? Being out by just a few PSI can make a big difference and can be dangerous. So what do you do?

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
30/28 sounds like what we have with 16s. the other figures might be ECO settings, for lower rolling resistance but more noise and a crumby ride.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
30/28 sounds like what we have with 16s. the other figures might be ECO settings, for lower rolling resistance but more noise and a crumby ride.

I think that difference is too big to be that. One has to be just wrong. I would obviously be inclined to think that the fuel cap label is right, just that it seems very high.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've had a look around the internet and there seems to be confusion about this will people having different pressures on the label for the same car! So who knows what the correct pressure is, not Seat!

I put them up to the sticker numbers of 38/35 and went for a run. The dealer had set the tyres to 30/30, which is recommended nowhere. The difference wasn't as marked as I expected it to be. Bit less grip, bit harsher but not a huge change. Odd.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
This has been brought-up on here before. SEAT are saddled with less than brilliant VW-style
handbooks which do not list tyre pressures, (amongst other things.)

In your case I'd be tempted to try 34 Front and 32 Rear for general load/normal use.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I'd be tempted to try 34 Front and 32 Rear for general load/normal use.

Sounds reasonable but shouldn't it be something you have a definitive answer for? It's not in the book and from what I've read on line, there seems to be differences in what the labels say for the same car. That's ridiculous. How does that happen?

This Ibiza is the smallest car I've owned in thirty years and the sticker says 38psi? No other car has been more than 32. How the heck can the label posted on that 'pure tyre' site be 8psi lower than the label stuck to my car? Genuinely confused here.

Totally agree about the handbook buy the way, really crap. Most annoying is the fact you need a magnifying glass to read the darn thing.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
My Ibiza came with TP from the factory / transport of 40PSI fronts and 37 PSI rears. Could be from the tow truck, or when they were secured on the ship. This was WAAAYYY too hash, and I didn't know this, and had to avoid every speed hump and pot hole for the first week. Luckilly I had a handheld tyre pressure thing, and check it, Oops, so high, so I lowered it. I seemed to be ok with F35-36PSI/R32-33PSI with the 17inch 215/40 for me. I do wonder if different tyre brands would mean different feeling/handing @ same pressures.

My previous car, Leon Mk3 with 205/55 R16 tyres was 32/29PS recommended.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I mailed Seat UK and asked them for the correct pressures. As yet they have not replied.

Yeah, I've dropped them to 36/31 and I'm happier with that. No idea if it's right though!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I mailed Seat UK and asked them for the correct pressures. As yet they have not replied.

Yeah, I've dropped them to 36/31 and I'm happier with that. No idea if it's right though!

I always thought anything you run between the normal 38/35PSI and Komfort 35/32PSI? pressures were ok....I just aimed for in between the two, and I'm happy with it.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I always thought anything you run between the normal 38/35PSI and Komfort 35/32PSI? pressures were ok....I just aimed for in between the two, and I'm happy with it.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be nice if the people who built the darn thing could give you a clear answer?

militarymad

Aug 9, 2018
Crewkerne, Somerset, UK
My 2016 Ibiza Cupra 1.8TSi has 215/40 R17 wheels/tyres (factory standard), the filler cap states that the tyre pressures should be 39psi Front and 33psi Rear with up to 3 persons and luggage. For 5 persons and luggage the tyre pressures are much higher.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I heard back from Seat.

A guy called me and asked for my email address, reg number etc. Nothing to do with the tyre pressures, the just wanted me in their system. Turns out the first owner of the car had a private reg number so the reg I have is not on their system. He asked me to go to the dealer and get them to change it over.

I said 'Hang on. The reg number on my car is the same as the one on my V5, so in what way is you having the wrong reg number my problem? You want it changed on your system, you deal with it'.

But despite ten minutes on the phone he finally revealed that he did not have the answer to the tyre pressure question! Then, I get an email about three days later saying 'you will find your tyre pressures on the inside of the fuel cap.'!!!!

So there you go guys. The definitive answer is, have a guess.