Tyre road noise/tyre choice

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Following on from my previous thread about road noise that I thought was down to wheel bearing rumble: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149822

I have once again spoken to the dealer who sold me the car who has advised me to get two new rear tyres fitted and to send him the invoice for reimbursement. He did however mention that he had spoken to the local Seat dealer in the area (bear in mind I bought the car from a Toyota dealer) and was told that many people bring Leon 2s back complaining about road noise and that it's just a characteristic of the car, or specifically that particular size of tyre (225/45 R17). Nevertheless the Seat dealer I went to said that it was caused by uneven wear above all else and that when they tried different wheels the noise was eliminated...

So... before I go and splash out on new rubbers... has anyone got any advice on what tyres to go for and which ones to avoid to reduce road noise? I'm slightly limited by the fact that they said they were only willing to pay up to around 160 for the pair, which a glance at blackcircles.co.uk suggests may be a little optimistic, but I'll cross that bridge...

140SPORT

Aug 22, 2007
Tyres

HI

I looked in to this tyre noise on my MK2 Leon 2.0 tdi dsg Mine had Bridgestones Fitted and they had worn on the inside edge.

I have just fitted new Dunlop sport 9090 and it is a lot quieter i only got these tyres as they were cheap but the best tyre at the moment is the.

GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 Asymmetric 225/45 R17 94Y XL

I got a price of £88 fitted for these.

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
whats road noise like on the 225/40/18's with perelli tyres?

does the 17" produce more road noise than the 18"?

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
are these cars noisy (compared to the ibiza's) i havent bought a leon yet but am about to... i currently drive the ibiza fr tdi and its noisey as fo*k. Just wondering how the road noise compares?

Igor23

Growing old disgracefully
Dec 7, 2006
Loughborough
The 255/40/18 pirelli's are great for tyre life but too hard a compound for erm spirited driving, I fitted yoko parada 2's and have not regretted it...

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
HI

I looked in to this tyre noise on my MK2 Leon 2.0 tdi dsg Mine had Bridgestones Fitted and they had worn on the inside edge.

I have just fitted new Dunlop sport 9090 and it is a lot quieter i only got these tyres as they were cheap but the best tyre at the moment is the.

GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 Asymmetric 225/45 R17 94Y XL

I got a price of £88 fitted for these.

Where did you get these from? Normally the cheapest price I can find is from black circles but they're more expensive than that!

cupra2007

RCOTY
Jan 7, 2007
rhodes/greece
tyre noise was noticed the first times i took my car(now i don't even notice it) but in the range of 70km-100km.after 100km and until 190km is minimum(strange eh?)!!driving all over europe it was never a problem!there was a big difference though between my old pirellis and my new GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 Asymmetrico 225/20/18!!they are much quiter and a lot softer,the ride is much better now.i strongly recommend them!cheers!

MrT

Stole my radio!!
Aug 10, 2007
whats road noise like on the 225/40/18's with perelli tyres?

does the 17" produce more road noise than the 18"?

Pirelli's are terrible.............Just changed all four P-Zero on mine as front 2 were gone so decided to take the plunge and change all 4...........

Result, much better.........car is lowered anyway which sorted much of the road bounce but now, joy of joys, i actually get home with my teeth still in situ and a brain that's not mashed by the tyre noise...

Changed to 4 x Kumho Ecsta, 225/40/18...........:clap:

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Following on from my previous thread about road noise that I thought was down to wheel bearing rumble: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149822

I have once again spoken to the dealer who sold me the car who has advised me to get two new rear tyres fitted and to send him the invoice for reimbursement. He did however mention that he had spoken to the local Seat dealer in the area (bear in mind I bought the car from a Toyota dealer) and was told that many people bring Leon 2s back complaining about road noise and that it's just a characteristic of the car, or specifically that particular size of tyre (225/45 R17). Nevertheless the Seat dealer I went to said that it was caused by uneven wear above all else and that when they tried different wheels the noise was eliminated...

So... before I go and splash out on new rubbers... has anyone got any advice on what tyres to go for and which ones to avoid to reduce road noise? I'm slightly limited by the fact that they said they were only willing to pay up to around 160 for the pair, which a glance at blackcircles.co.uk suggests may be a little optimistic, but I'll cross that bridge...

Im on PZEROS 17" and so far no problems @17k, my daughter who's on bridgestones 17" were scrap @ 15k with 50p wear marks on the inner tread. The rear suspension does seem very supsceptible as to what type of tyre manufacturer is used. I don't know if this still applies to 18, 19, 20" wheels?????

leon3

Hi a friend of mine has a Leon 2.0 tdi sport and he had tyre noise which sounded like wheel bearing rumble but after checking he found that the read tracking was out having the car four wheel tracking done and new tyres all noise has gone.

Trapper

Jul 1, 2005
West Sussex
Hi All

Got this problem with mine. Seat will only take intrest if you have done less than 9K ( I have done more than 9K). They might the contribute towards the price of replacing the rear tyres.

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Okay this thread is only serving to confuse me more than I was to start with.

Let's cut to the chase. Complete the following sentence:

The replacement tyres I should buy for the rear of my Leon are...

:)

(my options, realistically, are Dunlop Sport Maxx, Falcon ZE512, Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 or Goodyear Excellence)

Bear in mind these tyres are for rear and are to address a road noise problem...

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Actually, to answer my own question, some googling has highlighted some good reviews for the Goodyear Excellence, especially road noise - including a forum posting from here, and from Briskoda...

140SPORT

Aug 22, 2007
GET These fitted

Goodyear Excellence or The newly released Goodyear F1 asymmetric

These are the ones I was going to get to sort the same problem,I managed to buy some new Dunlop 9090 cheap and the noise has gone now.

The Goodyear Excellence gets good reviews for low noise etc and the F1 has now been replaced by the F1 asymmetric which is even better than the Excellence and around the same price

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.