Tyre road noise/tyre choice

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Do the rear wheels need to be balanced? Maybe this is causing some noise for people as some places don't balance rear wheels??

Stealthdave

Sep 28, 2006
I have had the rumble/bearing noise for ages....

Had the rear right changed for a puncture, took it to the dealers who advised it was because the tracking needed doing, but also my fronts we're illegal so had them changed....

I took it to ETS who said the tracking was out on the rear tyres, so had that done...

So I've had two brand new fronts, one brand new rear, tracking done and a 1000 miles later I still get the same noise...not sure I want to spend another £80 on the other rear tyre just to try and get rid of the noise, cause in all honestly I dont think it will disapear....:(

EoinM

Just had 4 Pirelli's replaced at the weekend after the car chewed the back tyres. Had it all Balanced and Tracked and Fitted 4 Dunlop SP SportMaxx. So far, the road noise has dropped dramatically. Now a much quieter car than before. Grip isn't bad either. Dont know about in the wet yet though.

Tyre place said that wide tyres going out of allignment is a bigger issue than on small wheels. I'm going to get mine done again when i rotate the wheels and hope for the best. Not liking the idea of 4 new tyres every 22k kms when i do 50k kms a year:cry:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
I have had the rumble/bearing noise for ages....

Had the rear right changed for a puncture, took it to the dealers who advised it was because the tracking needed doing, but also my fronts we're illegal so had them changed....

I took it to ETS who said the tracking was out on the rear tyres, so had that done...

So I've had two brand new fronts, one brand new rear, tracking done and a 1000 miles later I still get the same noise...not sure I want to spend another £80 on the other rear tyre just to try and get rid of the noise, cause in all honestly I dont think it will disapear....:(

why dont you just swap the fronts for the rears to see if the noise goes?
or just put the space saver tyre on the corner you havent changed yet?

LukeQuake

Well just got the car back from it's service and they are pretty sure the tyres are causing the road noise... Surprise Surprise

They have quoted me £135 per corner to replace with the same Bridgestones and £65 to balance them all four are very worm down and have uneven wear.... Obviously not going to pay main dealer prices so will ring around tomorrow and get a better quote.

I asked the technician about this and explained that it appears to be a known fault, he said "they just wear unevenly because of the tracking". Maybe the tracking was never quite right when they were released from the factory? Apparently Seat will sort it FOC if the car has only done a few thousand miles.

LukeQuake

Just looking at getting the Goodyear Eagle F1's @ £100 per corner fitted (from blackcircles.com). Anyone seen a better price for these? They get some very good reviews... :)

anson

hi luke checked price on these tyres 120+ fitted for these goodyear F1 asymmetrics at blackcircles do you have a discount code for these as mot coming up and might need 2 fronts 225/40/18 cheers

mrsixstring

MkII Leon FR TDi 170
Nov 6, 2007
Just in case anyone is wondering what the tyres that cause this look like, here's a pic of my Bridgestones (these have now got 24k on them!). Rumble / whine happens for me between 40-60 now and getting worse. Time to buy some new ones :think: ...

3349196530_35bb73715f_o.jpg

These are on 17inch wheels, FR spec. If you look closely you can see the inside edge is unevenly worn.

I've had 2 dealers look at this, both advised the rear camber was slightly out of alignment, but both said that generally it is the tyres that cannot handle the camber setting.

Last edited:

neils2008

Luke, I fitted Goodyear Excellences to the rear (very reasonable from blackcircles.com - PM me if you want a ******** discount) about 15k ago and the reduction in sound was significant and remains to this day... I was so impressed I put a pair of Excellences on the front when they needed replacing too. I'd definitely recommend them.

Deev

I've been following this thread for around 8 months now. I got some cheap Goodyear Eagle f1 GSD Symmetric on the rear (after having the Bridgestone 50p problem) and after 4-5000 whining noise started. Now 15000 miles later the noise is driving me insaine. Only about 4mm left on them so thinking of changing. I also got a bearing change from SEAT whilst under warranty, which I think might have been caused by the tyre problem.

After much searching on the net you seem to be the only person who's found a solution with the Goodyear Excellence. Can I ask if you do a lot of motorway miles? Also, do you find the ride is a little more comfortable? (or as comfortable as possible given the harsh Leon 2.0 tdi sport!)

Also, if you have a new member discount code for blackcircle's it would be greatly appreciated! I'll add my views once I replace the tyres.

I have Fulda Carat Excelero's now on the front which seem ok, but cant really tell with the constant groan from the rear.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

Cheers

Neil

arry37

tyre wear on one side rear

dont know if you can help have owned a tdi sport 140 now for 11 months 06 plate i noticed the noise you all have mentioned the whine,more or less when i bought the car,now 11months onwards the noise has changed into a scraping noise when you apply the brakes now which i thought the brake pads were worn so i checked the pads are fine but one of the rear tyres is badly worn on the inside,what do you suggest,greatfull of any answers,fantastic car other than thatonly done 26000 miles

Stealthdave

Sep 28, 2006
Justy had third service on car.

Last year I had a rear tryre changed and compained about the whining sound, so got the tracking sorted.

Results back this year from rear tread (Outside, middle, inner):
New tyre 7, 7, 7
Old tyre 7, 5, 3

Tracking was definately out from purchase.

monkeynuts

TIME FOR BED SAID "Z"
Oct 2, 2003
Area 51
Visit site
like everyone I also am getting pizzed off with this I have avons fitted and the rears have done 5000 and the noise is really bad at 60 its really a bad rumble :cry:what the hell now do I do SELL THE CAR :wtf:

Feb 1, 2010
Leicester
Pirelli's are terrible.............Just changed all four P-Zero on mine as front 2 were gone so decided to take the plunge and change all 4...........

Result, much better.........car is lowered anyway which sorted much of the road bounce but now, joy of joys, i actually get home with my teeth still in situ and a brain that's not mashed by the tyre noise...

Changed to 4 x Kumho Ecsta, 225/40/18...........:clap:

I have also just changed my pirelli p zero rosso to the kumho's

it made a massive difference in road noise. From new they were quieter.

I paide £82 per tyre fitted and to be honest they dont perform to badly either

monkeynuts

TIME FOR BED SAID "Z"
Oct 2, 2003
Area 51
Visit site
I have also just changed my pirelli p zero rosso to the kumho's

it made a massive difference in road noise. From new they were quieter.

I paide £82 per tyre fitted and to be honest they dont perform to badly either

TBH road noise we can live with but the rumble from the rear is bad news we cannot keep putting new tires on to stop this problem .It seem like more money to maybe get the alighnment done to maybe cure the problem:(

Rod5150

Hello all,

I'm getting quite a bit of road noise on a 12K mileage Leon FR, tyre wear looks reasonable but would like to reduce the tyre roar that kicks in around 30-40mph.

Mixture of bridgestone potenza and dumlop on the front, dunlop GT and and other dunlop on the back. Switched round recently to put ones with more grip on the front - dont know if this made it worse or not as it was done before car picked up, but after test drive..

Deev - cPlease ould you PM me the discount code for blackcirlces also please, like the guy above I can't see how to PM you.

Like others I'm a bit confused on the solution here, is it worth gettgin four wheel lease alignment done now or wait until I get new tyres?

thanks

mike_allison

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
I just fitted 4 Vredestein Ultrac Sessata XL's on my cupra. what a difference. Way better road noise, comfort and grip than the old bridgestones! plus the tread on them look brilliant.

Got them from tyremen who are offering free delivery when you buy 4 vredestein tyres.

So was £416 in total and got a mobile tyre fitter that lives near me to fit them for £12.50 a corner.

adam1811

Stockport - Black 2.0 TDI
Mar 18, 2011
Stockport
Hi If you check out the following link you may find that tyres arnet the root cause of the issue on the Leon MK2's.

I had the same issue and just had a full geometry setup done on the car as per specs in link http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=310231, then changed all four tyre for Toyo Proxes T1-R and have not had any issues although it is early days into there life as they have only done 700 miles...

:)

Mr.H

Okay this thread is only serving to confuse me more than I was to start with.

Let's cut to the chase. Complete the following sentence:

The replacement tyres I should buy for the rear of my Leon are...

:)

(my options, realistically, are Dunlop Sport Maxx, Falcon ZE512, Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 or Goodyear Excellence)

Bear in mind these tyres are for rear and are to address a road noise problem...

Anything that is Asymmetric. I use Vredestein Sessanta and they do not rumble at all, after 12k miles. My previous tyres, Avon ZZ3 and Toyo T1R (both symmetrical) started to rumble after 4-5k miles

adam1811

Stockport - Black 2.0 TDI
Mar 18, 2011
Stockport
Anything that is Asymmetric. I use Vredestein Sessanta and they do not rumble at all, after 12k miles. My previous tyres, Avon ZZ3 and Toyo T1R (both symmetrical) started to rumble after 4-5k miles

Im guessing each driver has there own preference on tyre choice and only time will tell with my choice of Proxes T-1R, they have now covered 1000 miles and so far the signs are good. Grip is execelent even in the wet so that is a bonus.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members