Tyre wear / Camber set.

BigJohnB

Please note that I have read the other threads on this matter but would be very grateful for an update / further info.

I purchased an Altea xl 1.9TDI Stylance in August 2007. It was an ex demo with less than 2k on the clock. All fine for the first year then the rumbling noise between 20 and 25mph. Thought this may just have been brake dust but gradually got worse.

The car went in to Seat for its 2 year service last week and had just done 16k. One of the results was that the front drivers side tyre was below legal and the front offside was just over legal. 16k from new – not too much of a problem I thought. The next statement had me very concerned. Apparently all four tyres are deformed around their inner edge with excessive wear on the inner edge. I could accept that the tracking could have drifted on the front wheels but surely not on all four!

Thanks to previous posts I have established that this is most likely a problem with the factory set camber being a few degrees out. The garage has quoted £400 to replace the tyres (think I will go elsewhere) but I am concerned that this will not correct the problem and new tyres would simply wear out within 12 – 18 months. I asked the garage what could have caused all four tyres to fail in this way and, after ‘checking with a technician’ the chap told me it was due to bad tyre pressures – I don’t think so!

Can anyone offer any further advice on this matter as it would seem that the car was inherently faulty when it left the factory. Therefore, it is down to Seat to correct and I will consider taking action if they fail to do so. Has anyone else pursued this issue to any form of settlement?

I thank you in anticipation of your replies.

NB I should add that the car is running on the factory fitted Bridgestone PotenzaR17 255/45s

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
£400 aint bad for all 4 tyres (unless they are Potenzas again...) Cost me £115 for a Goodyear excellence.
I think you will find it very hard to prove that the alignment was defective from outset - HOWEVER surely correction should be done under 3 year warranty.
Suggest garage do it under warranty, with written results from each wheel. If they refuse make it quite clear that you will get an independent alignment report done and bill them for the pleasure. You have to give them the oppurtunity to correct defects but are within your rights to take elsewhere and charge them if they refuse and alignment is later found to be defective. They might claim you've bashed car around potholes/kerbs etc but that is the state of UK roads and a product whatever it is must be fit for purpose ie able to stand up to UK roads.
In my opinion if more than 2 wheels are out of alignment after 18 months then this is a quality control/build defect issue, not just wear and tear.
Just keep leaning on them. Or go to another dealer if no joy with first.

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Seat won't touch this under warranty,even if you'd just gone round the block! they'll just say you rubbed a kerb or such sadly :(
but full alignment should be had from between £50 and £80,but make sure it is a full alignment check! Camber/castor/Toe and not just tracking!

BigJohnB

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies.

I live in the Exeter area if you know of a company that could provide an alignment check, and by the way, the quote was for the two fronts - so £800 for the lot!

As you suggest, I will give them a chance to correct but if no joy then an independant report will be the next step.

Once again, thanks for the reply and I will keep you advised of the result.

Cheers
John

loadswine

loadswine
Be watchful, even ifd the dealer says they have fixed the problem. My stealer had allegedly fixed mine just over a year ago and now I'm having to fork out for new rears as they are wearing even worse than before!
Does anyone know the actual settings we are supposed to have, so I can pass this to the tyre and alignment people that will fix mine properly this time?
The explanation I had from the stealer last time ( never going there again!) was that I live in Sutton, so have to expect that with all the speed humps. WTF?

Steveredwatts

Any Ideas Where to get this done in Swansea ?

Seat won't touch this under warranty,even if you'd just gone round the block! they'll just say you rubbed a kerb or such sadly :(
but full alignment should be had from between £50 and £80,but make sure it is a full alignment check! Camber/castor/Toe and not just tracking!

Just read your stuff on tyre wear after having my car serviced and being told the tyres are stuffed on rear. The advice was camber needs to be checked, but also need 2 new tyres !!!

Having read your quote and i live in Swansea was wondering where best to get this done as Seat dealer advising Sinclairs VW which equates to £120-£150 without tyres !!!

Any help appreciated

Cheers
Steve

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Just read your stuff on tyre wear after having my car serviced and being told the tyres are stuffed on rear. The advice was camber needs to be checked, but also need 2 new tyres !!!

Having read your quote and i live in Swansea was wondering where best to get this done as Seat dealer advising Sinclairs VW which equates to £120-£150 without tyres !!!

Any help appreciated

Cheers
Steve

I actually go up to Newport to get mine done! its a garage i trust and found it while setting up my 200sx (which is used on the track a lot so alignment needs to be spot on)
Its a bit of a trek,but he knows his stuff and its only £60
If your prepared to go that far its Orchard motors 01633 216775
and the guys name is John.
Tell him Paul with the Blue 200 sent you! :)

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Thanks for the replies.

I live in the Exeter area if you know of a company that could provide an alignment check, and by the way, the quote was for the two fronts - so £800 for the lot!

As you suggest, I will give them a chance to correct but if no joy then an independant report will be the next step.

Once again, thanks for the reply and I will keep you advised of the result.

Cheers
John

Protyre on March Barton can do a full 4-wheel laser alignment ;)

Is it worth getting it checked by a 2nd dealer? I'm assuming you're dealing with SMC in Exeter, so why not pop down to County Garage in Kingsteignton/Newton Abbot for a 2nd opinion ?!? ;)

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
Had the same with my Altea, had a pukka 4 wheel alignment done - no difference (had the settings from the dealer). At the next service, I mentioned to the dealer that the problem still exists and they rectified it - now the tyres wear flat if still a bit noisy - a common problem with all multi link rear suspenson though, the Mazda 6 I had before was EXACTLY the same! Anyway, the dealer now sets the rear wheels to the minimum negative camber that the adjustment will allow (still a bit negative!) -problem solved.
Steveredwatts, as your in Swansea and that crap excuse for a main dealer FRF no longer does Seat, go to Raymonds in Pontyberem (25 mins from Swansea), they didn't win best dealer for aftersales in Europe for nothing!

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Yep raymonds are good,been very helpfull to me!
Their alignment gear was out of use the week i wanted mine done though :cry:

Steveredwatts

Cheers all

Raymonds is where the car was serviced last week and yes they were great, but, they couldnt do the alignment. They suggested VW Sinclairs ??? Will not be using them though.

Booked in for fri with a local garage, costing 60. So will update on results ?

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
I had my 4 wheel alignment done at Bryers (Mazda) in Dryslwyn - near Llandeilo. Good guys there and they're machine is the pukka job. However Raymonds adjusted the camber to as vertical as possible after...... Perhaps when you have yours done, ask them to give it as little negative camber as possible, apparently its the camber that causes the tyre roar.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I had my full 4 wheel alignment done on a hunter system, the person in questio deals mostly with fast road cars and rally prep and knows his stuff. All measurments about spot on except rear camber, RL 2.26degrees RR 2.03degrees, out by ~1degree each side. Will post before and after later. Has made a huge difference to noise levels, handling in all aspects, feels more planted than before. Well worth £50 considering my tyres were prematurely worn out by camber offset and had to spend £120 on new ones.

Pic as promised

2009-08-10202752.jpg

Sorry for quality.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Yea, back on the road just about, cambelt to get done and serviced, heater resistor bank to sort out too, lost fan speeds below setting 4. Highly recommend Ali Burrows Motorsport for four wheel alignment for anyone in the Armagh, Tyrone areas worth travelling to.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.