Tyres??

potter88

Jan 1, 2011
Norwich
I'm needing some new 225 40 18's for my Cupra and was wondering what people have gone with on here??

I currently have Dunlop Sport Maxx on there but have also looked at Bridgestone RE002 along with possibly more Dunlop as the same I have.

Wanting something with medium durability and with decent all round grip although they haven't got to be that sticky as not going around a track or nowt just everyday driving

Richard123

Rickys LCR 225
Feb 4, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland
Uniroyal Rainsport 3's are superb tyres on the Leon. Bridgestone RE002s were very poor in my opinion, noisy with rubbish grip in the wet. Nothing grips like Uniroyals in the wet and their dry grip is as good as any of the biggest brands.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s134...Eff_:_C_Wet_Grip:_A_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_72dB

Never tried uniroyal on my Cupra R but used to use them regularly on my old civic 1.5lsi (lol) they were really good in wet and as stated as good as any big brands in the dry.

I have had Pirelli p zeros ,Michelin ps3s and Goodyear Eagle f1s aysm . I think I prefered the michelins slightly over the rest but all are very good in wet and dry imo.

check out camskill as stated, best price I have found on the net. and good for more than just cheap tyres .

heggie

Jul 1, 2012
Ross-on-Wye
Uniroyals are great in the wet and good in the dry, however they are crap with wear so I wouldnt bother personally with them again myself!

Richard123

Rickys LCR 225
Feb 4, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland
Uniroyals are great in the wet and good in the dry, however they are crap with wear so I wouldnt bother personally with them again myself!

I think all tyres I have tried on lcr are not good with wear to be expected i suppose when you have 250bhp and above going through them and a heavy right foot.

heggie

Jul 1, 2012
Ross-on-Wye
Not really true, fitted the uniroyals about 10 months ago and after about 2 months and them dropping to just 3mm of tread in about 2000miles got a set of goodyear eagle f1s and chucked the uniroyals on the back. Done 5000ish now and uniroyals have just about legal tread and the goodyears about 5mm.

For the saving of £40 a pair compared to the goodyears I know where I will be putting my money again ;)

atconc

Jul 1, 2013
I'm having 4 Goodyear f1's asymmetric 2's fitted tomorrow, was tempted by the rainsport but put off by worries that they won't last very long on the front (stage 1 LCR) at the moment I have pilot sports on the front and Falken on the rear. Will report back once I have the Goodyear on and some time to get an impression of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nd-photo.nl

Mar 6, 2012
The Netherlands
www.nd-photo.nl
Please note that the sidewalls of the RS3 are quite soft compared to other tyres. This doesnt have to be a bad thing, it it something to keep in mind though. I have 2 of them at the back. The wet grip is awesome and the dry grip doesnt dissappoint either!

Richard123

Rickys LCR 225
Feb 4, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland
Not really true, fitted the uniroyals about 10 months ago and after about 2 months and them dropping to just 3mm of tread in about 2000miles got a set of goodyear eagle f1s and chucked the uniroyals on the back. Done 5000ish now and uniroyals have just about legal tread and the goodyears about 5mm.

For the saving of £40 a pair compared to the goodyears I know where I will be putting my money again ;)

Ah cool, I didnt realise the wear was qutie that bad .
I thought cupra Ross might have said that if his had worn at that rate (maybe he'll coment) as it is pointless saving money on purchase only to replace more frequently. Maybe you had low pressure or drove harder on uniroyal?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

heggie

Jul 1, 2012
Ross-on-Wye
I didnt drive any harder than I do now probably less hard as had the clutch changed during the time, pressure at 34psi. I did have vreds on before after people were rating them, however found they didnt last along with everyone else lol. The uniroyals were just out so thought I would give them a try, They are a good tyre but not on the wear side. I cant say they are better than the goodyear either so from a cost point the goodyear have out performed them

Last edited:

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Ah cool, I didnt realise the wear was qutie that bad .
I thought cupra Ross might have said that if his had worn at that rate (maybe he'll coment) as it is pointless saving money on purchase only to replace more frequently. Maybe you had low pressure or drove harder on uniroyal?

Don't get me wrong, Goodyear Eagle F1s are brilliant tyres, and you pay a brilliant price for them. I suspect that there is either a very heavy right foot or some suspect suspension geometry at play if they wore down that quickly. Incidentally, your best tyres should ALWAYS be on the back in a front wheel drive car.

I'd recommend both the Uniroyals and the Goodyears in equal measure having tried both. Bang for buck with correctly aligned suspension geometry, the Uniroyals are very hard to beat in my opinion.

heggie

Jul 1, 2012
Ross-on-Wye
Don't get me wrong, Goodyear Eagle F1s are brilliant tyres, and you pay a brilliant price for them. I suspect that there is either a very heavy right foot or some suspect suspension geometry at play if they wore down that quickly. Incidentally, your best tyres should ALWAYS be on the back in a front wheel drive car.

I'd recommend both the Uniroyals and the Goodyears in equal measure having tried both. Bang for buck with correctly aligned suspension geometry, the Uniroyals are very hard to beat in my opinion.

I did speak to uniroyal about it and they were concerned so recommended I take to a uniroyal approved fitter, and had a defect of been found they would refund me the difference. There were none locally so being as I only paid £160 for the pair and got a pair of goodyear for £200 I bit the bullet and got them done locally. Nothing has been changed on the car and the tracking was checked.

It is possible I had some from a dodgy batch but others are also commenting on the wear rate on them so its just worth keeping in mind.

black-spring

mk1 LCR - Mk2 golf
Oct 14, 2014
essex
just my 5p worth,

Nankang NS-2R @£85 from Oponeo including free delivery! mine were with me next day.
worked very well on a wet track day, not sure about snow and ice.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
I did speak to uniroyal about it and they were concerned so recommended I take to a uniroyal approved fitter, and had a defect of been found they would refund me the difference. There were none locally so being as I only paid £160 for the pair and got a pair of goodyear for £200 I bit the bullet and got them done locally. Nothing has been changed on the car and the tracking was checked.

It is possible I had some from a dodgy batch but others are also commenting on the wear rate on them so its just worth keeping in mind.

:thumbup:

The Goodyears will definitely last a little bit longer. I think the average driver should expect at least 12000 miles out of a pair of Uniroyals on the front.

ryno

Oct 8, 2014
highworth, wilts
oh and i got my for fitted for £300 all in, perks of having a brother who is a tyre fitter. ive had goodyears etc over the last few years, never have had or will have budget,s. these Uniroyal's are probably the best i have had. but it all depends how YOU drive!

heggie

Jul 1, 2012
Ross-on-Wye
:thumbup:

The Goodyears will definitely last a little bit longer. I think the average driver should expect at least 12000 miles out of a pair of Uniroyals on the front.

Thats what I would have expected but stretched mine to about 7500 on the front then back lol. They are about done to be fair so will be spending the extra £40 on the goodyear because they are good all rounders;)

potter88

Jan 1, 2011
Norwich
Uniroyals seem like the the ones to get then and not bad that I can get them at £67 inc vat each for RS3

Richard123

Rickys LCR 225
Feb 4, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland
Uniroyals seem like the the ones to get then and not bad that I can get them at £67 inc vat each for RS3

Yeah I think Im going to try uniroyals next aswell.
I knew they were good tyres, just didnt know how good they would be with 260 bhp.
I am going to try them on the front @ 67 quid a corner hard to go wrong I would have thought.
I ll keep michelin ps3s on rear they are a really good tyres prob my favourite of ones ive had you just pay a little more for them..