Unable to lock the car

.Griff.

Jun 26, 2021
I experienced a very strange issue at the worst possible time yesterday and I'm baffled by it. I'm just curious if anyone has experienced the same.

Unfortunately, it was my dads funeral yesterday and I had to drive back to the family home. After 45 minutes of driving, I got there, got out of the car and went to lock it using the remote but there was no response at all. The remote was clearly working as I could "unlock" the car, the indicators reacted and I could hear the door lock mechanism but I pressed the lock button multiple times and nothing, nada, zilch. I checked all the doors, the boot, made sure the car was off (it's a hybrid), checked the central locking button worked which it did but still the remote wouldn't lock the car. With the hearse arriving any second I had to extract the key from the fob and manually lock the car.

Fast forward a few hours and the car behaved perfectly normal again and I could lock it perfectly fine.

Anyone ever experienced anything like this? I don't know if it was dad winding me up one last time or something I need to concern myself about and book it into the dealership.

Reactions: Woody_72

darkshadow13

Sep 27, 2021
england
Had an issue like this on an older car, went to the dealers they were baffled and asked if the battery's had been replace, 2 new from Halfords. At the end they replaced the Remote control unit Front, seemed ok then after a week it started again, baffled i took back to the Dealer, the Rear Remote unit was replaced. This seemed to be ok for another 3 weeks and guess what, ye it happened again. I googled everything, Solenoid issues, Lock units, all sorts, even battery changes which had been done, so i thought WTH ordered a Samsung battery, (this what was took out), I put this in and guess what it worked not for 1 but for 2 controllers, I cant for the love work that out not had the issue again alas i didn't tell the dealership lol.

Edit: that was 1 year ago.

Stebb

Dec 28, 2010
Machynlleth
I had similar to this recently and wondered if the car thought there was still a key inside?
I 'solved it' by opening and shutting a door again........
I had hair when I bought this car.

.Griff.

Jun 26, 2021
Just to update the thread. This hasn't happened again and the fob has worked each and every time since.

Maybe there was something in the vicinity, at the time, "blocking" the lock signal.

.Griff.

Jun 26, 2021
Or.maybe the boot or door was slightly ajar?

I don't think mate. I had to give up as the hearse arrived to take us to the funeral and when we got back it locked on the first attempt. I didn't touch the doors/boot in the interim.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.