Uneven tyre wear on rear

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
Hi guys

I've just noticed that my passenger rear tyre has worn way more on the outer quarter. As far as I know, there's no adjustment possible on the rear, so is there a possible fault or is this common on the mk3s?

Thanks

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Sounds like it needs a wheel alignment but I guess you figured that out already.

I'd be surprised if there is no adjustment at the rear for camber and toe.

Its normally the front that has less adjustment (ie camber cant be adjusted usually).

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
Yeh I'm hoping it can be aligned because I'm almost ready for new tyres. I only just noticed it and it's not that bad, but defo needs sorting for when I get replacements.

Here's a pic. You can see it's worn down to the limit markers on the outer quarter of the tread. The other side, the gaps in the tread are evenly worn.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20210305_155401.jpg
    IMG_20210305_155401.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 142

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
You know the outer bits flush with the tread are tread and not markers.
It may have been on the front at some stage too.

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
Not sure mate, I thought they were the depth wear markers, like in the middle 3 channels. Here's a pic of the other side. Totally even wear on all 4 channels, same tyre fitted at same time. Fronts were changed last month, perfectly even wear on those too.

Attachments

• IMG_20210305_155421.jpg
    IMG_20210305_155421.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 111

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Could be low tyre pressures?

Or you drive it like a maniac drifting the back end out around corners? Hee !😂

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
Yep both Bridgestone Potenza. I check pressures whenever that warning light goes off, I think they're at 30 psi on the rear.

I do sometimes get a bit carried away on roundabouts in the wet 🤔 but the left hand bends get an equal amount of fun 😂

Looking at them side by side, there's way more wear in general on the left, better take it easier on those roundabouts I guess 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: MATT RILEY

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
While there is no allowance for wheel alignment adjustment on any WV Group cars with torsion beams at the back, if no distortion or damage has occurred, moving the front subframe to bring everything into alignment is the usual and only plan to sort things out. Springs need to be the correct length though even with fully independent suspension.

Edit:- the other thing is, many run of the mill cars depend on "aggressive" suspension setting to achieve good road manners - and wearing tyres quickly/unevenly can be the trade off.

Reactions: MiTz

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Cheers for the info guys 👍

Just remember while "experts" will scoff and say four wheel re-alignment is therefore never useful or required - it is required to align the slightly adjustable front into line with the fixed rear and to check for any chassis or other damage.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Yep both Bridgestone Potenza. I check pressures whenever that warning light goes off, I think they're at 30 psi on the rear.

I do sometimes get a bit carried away on roundabouts in the wet 🤔 but the left hand bends get an equal amount of fun 😂

Looking at them side by side, there's way more wear in general on the left, better take it easier on those roundabouts I guess 🤔
Are you sure its the same tyre both sides. looks different to me (Tyre wear considering). There are more than one type of Potenza....

1614987547541.png

There are at least 3 differences in tread pattern that I've highlighted (there are more but less obvious). And the tyre wear markers are the little nodules that indicate 2mm highlighted in purple wit a tick, not the difference in tread pattern on the outer edge highlighted in purple with an X.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The tyre you think is overly worn looks more like this Potenza (S001):
1614987788093.png

Where as the other looks more like the RE style tyres (couldn't find a photo that matched but it certainly looked closer).

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
I'll have to check, but that's what I was told were fitted at the time, so never really bothered looking closely. I assumed the difference was because of the wear, but now you mention it, it does look different 🤔

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
So after all that there's probably nothing wrong with it 🤦‍♂️
So is it just different tread patterns? If so its a relief, but depending on the tyre cost (sorry not familiar with your particular size) I'd consider changing one tyre to match the other ASAP.

I do find it unusual that a dealer (if its a main Seat dealer) has let a car go out with mismatched tyres on the same axle. In the UK its supposed to be illegal:

"it is illegal to mix cross-ply and radial-ply tyres across the same axle in the UK. It is also illegal to mix across tread patterns, tread depths and tyre sizes too, as the identical tyre model, size, brand, tread depth and tread pattern must be fitted across the same axle"

In some European countries, its illegal to mix tyres across the whole car.

Reactions: Jay5959

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Well spotted @MATT RILEY and @Damo H! I bought my car from seat pentagon with mismatched tyres on the front, which I only noticed after a couple of months! They did the last mot too, so they slapped some awful budget alongside the contact sports. It was bloody terrible in the wet. Rocking PS4 all around now, drives great!

@MiTz depending on how long you’ve had the tyres, might be worth changing both rears so you have the same wear and tread depth

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.