Upgrading 312mm brakes on 1.8

Giuseppe Busso

Ioannis
Jan 29, 2021
Greece
Hello Seatcupra. I own a mk3 1.8 with about 250ps at this moment. I was thinking to upgrade the 312 x 25 mm front brakes with the bolt-on kit from Cupra (aka Golf mk7 GTi Performance Pack) with the single pot of 340 x 30 mm and put braided brake lines all around.
Brembo Prime discs and OEM pads.

What is your opinion about that move? Speaking about costs, i can have them on my car with 800 euros.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hello Seatcupra. I own a mk3 1.8 with about 250ps at this moment. I was thinking to upgrade the 312 x 25 mm front brakes with the bolt-on kit from Cupra (aka Golf mk7 GTi Performance Pack) with the single pot of 340 x 30 mm and put braided brake lines all around.
Brembo Prime discs and OEM pads.

What is your opinion about that move? Speaking about costs, i can have them on my car with 800 euros.
What are your intentions with the car?

The 312x25 discs and decent pads are a good setup for any road driving.
If you are planning on track use then the extra heat capacity of the 340 discs will be beneficial with repeated highspeed stops.

If its just a road car and just for looks its your choice.
Don't expect shorter stopping distances - the standard brakes are more than good enough to brake more than the tyres can cope with - so adding more brake won't be a help over a few stops (5-10) - only for the extra heat capacity over extended high speed stops - which you'd never see on the road.

The 340 disc is also used with larger rear brake - so I would also factor in upgrading the rear to keep your braking force balanced.

When I upgraded my Audi A4 B6 brakes I also coded the brakes module so the car 'knew' the brakes where larger - not sure if this is required for the MQB platform?

Reactions: Giuseppe Busso

Giuseppe Busso

Ioannis
Jan 29, 2021
Greece
340x30 it is.
OEM brake pad and brembo coated line disk. We also installed braided brake lines (red color) at the front only. At rear the mechanic said that the rubber part of the brake line is too small and it doesn't them at this moment.

Very happy with the result optically. I have to do some kilometers and then i will start to work them harder.

Reactions: SuperV8 and JSR

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
340x30 it is.
OEM brake pad and brembo coated line disk. We also installed braided brake lines (red color) at the front only. At rear the mechanic said that the rubber part of the brake line is too small and it doesn't them at this moment.

Very happy with the result optically. I have to do some kilometers and then i will start to work them harder.

Nice, the 340x30 is a heavy disc - I have some at work at the moment and I went to move them and thought wow they have some gravity in them :ROFLMAO:

How about your rear brakes as I recommended previously?
I would seriously look into changing these as well so your braking system stays balanced between your front and rear axle.

Its like fitting some nice sticky performance tyres to one axle - and leaving eco/low friction tyres on the other axle!

Giuseppe Busso

Ioannis
Jan 29, 2021
Greece
Nice, the 340x30 is a heavy disc - I have some at work at the moment and I went to move them and thought wow they have some gravity in them :ROFLMAO:

How about your rear brakes as I recommended previously?
I would seriously look into changing these as well so your braking system stays balanced between your front and rear axle.

Its like fitting some nice sticky performance tyres to one axle - and leaving eco/low friction tyres on the other axle!
Indeed. Too heavy but as i live with them day by day, i see that they are strong.

About weights: 312mm disk weighs 8,6kg and 340mm 10,8kg. Calipers & pads are off course heavier too (i don't know how much exactly).

I read your recommendation but first i want to live with them at this moment to see if braking is proper or not.
My mechanic says that i won't have any problem at this horsepower. We 'll see.

Thank you...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.