Upgrading to RCD310 - any issues?

yooni7

Jul 17, 2011
Thinking of upgrading my headunit on my 57 Leon FR.

My main intention is to improve the visual appearance at a low price really.

If i install the RCD310 will i have any issues?

Is it a straight fit?

Will the aux in still work (read that this may be a problem)

If its a VW unit off ebay, will it flash the VW logo on start up?

Or can someone recommend anything else? Not willing to pay RNS510 money to be honest.

Last edited:

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
You could get an RCD510 off ebay, can be had for around £150.

Regardless, you may have an issue with the safe pin as it isn't wired on pre-FL Leons on the quadlock. Simple enough to wire in, but a consideration nevertheless.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
if i was you i'd get an aftermarket system. I've just taken my RCD310 out of my 2010 leon.

My aftermarket unit doesn't use the factory USB, and i'm glad! It means i can hide my ipod away in the glovebox out of site, before it was in my car on show all the time!! Sound is much improved, and its much nicer to use too :)

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I'm the exact opposite, aftermarket looks rubbish in the MK2.

Strange as in the Mk1 LCR I thought my Becker was fricking awesome!

yooni7

Jul 17, 2011
You could get an RCD510 off ebay, can be had for around £150.

Regardless, you may have an issue with the safe pin as it isn't wired on pre-FL Leons on the quadlock. Simple enough to wire in, but a consideration nevertheless.

Safe pin? Sorry I have no knowledge at all when it comes to in car entertainment. How would I wire it in?

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
I used to have the same stock stereo in our 57 plate FR and recently changed to a 60 plate FR with the RCD310 and while it is definitely a better quality unit, tbh I'm not sure its that much of an upgrade on what you've already got, unless you find one with DAB maybe.

The best upgrade I've found relates to the FL FR models having the USB/AUX inputs, giving you full ipod or USB drive control on the head unit/wheel controls with audio displayed in the MFD.
You won't get that functionality with the RCD310 in a pre FL car but I guess the AUX should work if connected correctly.

You'll need the 2 DIN fascia trim and if its a VW unit it might display a blue instead of red backlight display.
No logo flashes up on mine, I think that's more likely with the full touchscreen models, which is probably a more worthwhile upgrade for you tbh.

The RCD510 is a cheaper option than the RNS model if you don't need the SatNav, or the RNS310/315 models sell for a lot less than the RNS510.

Alternatively go third party with a decent JVC or Pioneer unit that a lot of forum members recommend, especially if you don't already have the oem bluetooth option...lots of threads on here about those.

yooni7

Jul 17, 2011
I used to have the same stock stereo in our 57 plate FR and recently changed to a 60 plate FR with the RCD310 and while it is definitely a better quality unit, tbh I'm not sure its that much of an upgrade on what you've already got, unless you find one with DAB maybe.

The best upgrade I've found relates to the FL FR models having the USB/AUX inputs, giving you full ipod or USB drive control on the head unit/wheel controls with audio displayed in the MFD.
You won't get that functionality with the RCD310 in a pre FL car but I guess the AUX should work if connected correctly.

You'll need the 2 DIN fascia trim and if its a VW unit it might display a blue instead of red backlight display.
No logo flashes up on mine, I think that's more likely with the full touchscreen models, which is probably a more worthwhile upgrade for you tbh.

The RCD510 is a cheaper option than the RNS model if you don't need the SatNav, or the RNS310/315 models sell for a lot less than the RNS510.

Alternatively go third party with a decent JVC or Pioneer unit that a lot of forum members recommend, especially if you don't already have the oem bluetooth option...lots of threads on here about those.

Thanks for the input. Don't want to go aftermarket at all. I like things to look as standard as possible, just the way I am really. Will check out the rcd510 also but was looking at the rcd310 due to it being a lot cheaper. Don't really need sat nav so the rns models are no real use to me.

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
I have a rcd 310 lying around.......

I cant remember if there is a splash screen but the VW one has a blue background vs seat red screen just depends if thats important

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
i too have my rcd 310, but i'm keeping that for when the car goes!

The RCD310 has no splash screen, however like previously said, VW will display blue, SEAT display red.

yooni7

Jul 17, 2011
Considering the rcd510 aswell.

Been reading about it draining the battery though?

yooni7

Jul 17, 2011
Can anyone confirm that the aux in connection in the centre console will still work with a RCD310 in a pre facelift leon? I use this feature quite often.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Safe pin? Sorry I have no knowledge at all when it comes to in car entertainment. How would I wire it in?

It's basically a 12V feed to the stereo. This will be already present on other pins in the quadlock but the OEM stereo does not need this to be wired in to power up. Other OEM units, such as the RCD510, won't even turn on if there is no 12V feed to this pin.

See here. Pin 16 (section 3).

Last edited:

yooni7

Jul 17, 2011
It's basically a 12V feed to the stereo. This will be already present on other pins in the quadlock but the OEM stereo does not need this to be wired in to power up. Other OEM units, such as the RCD510, won't even turn on if there is no 12V feed to this pin.

See here. Pin 16 (section 3).

Cheers. Would I have to do this for an Rcd310 aswell?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.