Upgrading to Remote central locking

infinityraver

I drive a 02 110bhp tdi se toledo. It already has central locking but was wondering if anyone had upgraded theres to remote central locking. Ive seen a few upgrade kits about. Is there much work involved in wiring them in etc?

infinityraver

nope not remote but i think that may be something to do with the previous owner putting new locks in it for some reason. Separate key for starting the car and opening the locks. bit of a nusance futering about looking for the keyhole at night etc.

Anyone know of anyone that has done this before?

infinityraver

New alarm system world be costly would it not, especially a clifford one? Basically i just want it for handiness sake.

Ive been looking at varous sites such as ultimatecarparts.co.uk/remote-central-locking-upgrade-kit-for-any-seat-p-100.htm

would it be equally as safe to use one of those kits and would there be a whole immobiliser chip swapping match involved?

infinityraver

If you got a clifford alarm system that would sort out your problem and make your insurance cheaper.

I am interested in this though, i miss RCL. can you go to SEAT?

By can yo go to SEAT do you mean is there a SEAT Dealer near by? IF so there is one relatively close to me though do they not charge an arm an a leg for replacing keys etc?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
all you need is a remote type key and some programming as it's built in to the car but by teh sounds of it you only have some solid type keys

once you have a remote key ( y shape) cut to the ignition lock
add a remote control programmed to the locking system
add the correct chip from one of the old ones - voila

infinityraver

so basically i already have remote cenral locking i just need the remote? Would the door locks being changed affect the simplicity of this?
I should probably take a spin down to my local seat dealer and see what they say though i have a feeling the will charge alot to get anything done.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
the locks themselves are purely mechanical, the locking is run by an ecu and coded control units in each door so initially i would make sure all the doors lock properly from all doors/locks inc the boot etc

if all ok grab a remote even a used one will work and follow the coding procedure on here (leon the same) to see if you can at least get the remote side working ok and then go from there key wise

infinityraver

the locks all work perfectly so ill try getting a used remote and see if itl work

Thanks for the help

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.