USB Stick + Wireless Android Auto (bug in infotainment system ?)

Mar 21, 2024
Given:
- android phone with AA connected to car via bluetooth
- cupra ateca infotainment supporting wireless AA connection
- USB 2.0 stick with music, connected via USB type-c adapter

Problem description:
When there is no USB stick connected - wireless AA works perfectly and connects automatically without any issues. After you can connect USB stick with music and listen without any issues.

If at car startup, USB stick with music is already connected - wireless AA won't be able to connect, even when bluetooth is connected. If you click "use AA" it will hang for like 2-3 mins and then shows "failed to connect" message.

My POV on this:
Infotainment system, when USB stick is connected and phone is connected via bluetooth - tries to fetch AA connection/information from the USB stick, instead of bluetooth connected phone. Pretty sure this is infotainment system bug which should be reported to Cupra manufacturer.

But before I'd like to get feedback from others, i.e. are you able to reproduce the same problem in your car ? Or maybe there is existing solution to this ?
Thanks !

Bahnstormer_vRS

Oct 28, 2021
Seems there's a pretty simple solution me.

Get in car, start up and let phone connect with Android Auto.

Then, and only then, connect USB stick separately.

Enjoy drive with music.

OR

Why not use a streaming service, like Spotify, for your music?

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

Mar 21, 2024
This is what I'm currently doing :D This is workaround though.
I don't use streaming services, I'm used to my USB :)

This should work out-of-the-box. In my opinion it is a bug of the system, which should be fixed.

There is already tons of actions you need to do, before even starting to move, aka turn off auto-start stop function, switch from comfort to sport/cupra etc etc (which should be available to configure by default as you wish).

Bahnstormer_vRS

Oct 28, 2021
There is already tons of actions you need to do, before even starting to move, aka turn off auto-start stop function, switch from comfort to sport/cupra etc etc (which should be available to configure by default as you wish).

Agreed, but these are Industry Standard settings as far as I have experienced, so unlikely CUPRA will change.

As to the Android Auto / USB situation, I don't see it as an issue. Sorry.

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

Reactions: cuprauser111

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
Cuprauser111 - the issue will be the USB C adapter and a conflict caused by an 'Endpoint', 99.9% of the time USB is truly plug and play however there is some interesting stuff going on in the background that one isn't aware of. If you had a USB device that connected directly to the USB port and there is no adapter you'd be fine.

I'm always concerned having USB sticks in USB ports where they might get accidently knocked with a worst case of snapped off so went about it slightly differently, using one of these. SD Card Reader, Beikell USB C SD/Micro SD Card Reader USB 3.0 Memory Card Adapter £6.99 is not exactly the end of the world.

20240321_163711.jpg

I've attached it to the side of the cubby with double-sided tape - neat and out of the way, works perfectly. I'm also using Wireless Android Auto - mostly streaming from Amazon Music Unlimited.

Mar 21, 2024
Cuprauser111 - the issue will be the USB C adapter and a conflict caused by an 'Endpoint', 99.9% of the time USB is truly plug and play however there is some interesting stuff going on in the background that one isn't aware of. If you had a USB device that connected directly to the USB port and there is no adapter you'd be fine.

I'm always concerned having USB sticks in USB ports where they might get accidently knocked with a worst case of snapped off so went about it slightly differently, using one of these. SD Card Reader, Beikell USB C SD/Micro SD Card Reader USB 3.0 Memory Card Adapter £6.99 is not exactly the end of the world.

View attachment 41400
I've attached it to the side of the cubby with double-sided tape - neat and out of the way, works perfectly. I'm also using Wireless Android Auto - mostly streaming from Amazon Music Unlimited.
I had a second assumption that it could be related to USB C adapter, guess it is :)
But with that SD card reader adapter, if you are listening music from SD card, I guess you have no issues with wireless AA using it the same time, as I had with USB ? If so - I guess that could be perfect solution for me !

Reactions: Tell and CosmicBlue

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
I had a second assumption that it could be related to USB C adapter, guess it is :)
But with that SD card reader adapter, if you are listening music from SD card, I guess you have no issues with wireless AA using it the same time, as I had with USB ? If so - I guess that could be perfect solution for me !
No issues at all, works perfectly.

Mar 21, 2024
I didn't find Beikell in my country and have bought the following: https://gembird.com/item.aspx?id=10079
As well as simple SanDisk SD card 64 GB (think it is like 100MB/s read and 20-40MB/s write).

At start it was playing okay. But when I click "next track" media library just disappears, same as connected storage device. Sometimes that happens during driving randomly. I'm not quite sure where is the problem; could be this sd card reader is cheap and not functioning properly or SD card r/w speed is not enough.

Maybe you have any ideas guys ?

PS: for now, I'm thinking to buy this reader - https://www.axagon.eu/en/produkty/cre-s3c - I hope that one will function properly and it is more expensive.