Using Higher Wattage than standard

Nef

Looking Rather Dappa
Mar 30, 2009
Cambridge
Just wondering what would happen if i was to fit and use 100w bulbs instead of 55w bulbs?

thanks for any help

ken

gazR

CUPRA
Apr 25, 2009
Derbyshire
there illegal for road-use, they do melt some headlights as they get really hot, dont know about the leons but they did on my mates corsa. they dazzle alot more than my 6000k hids.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Brighter bulbs don't dazzle as much as poorly aligned lights - i'd get your light alignment checked first and then consider brighter bulbs. I found the Leons dipped beam to be far too low as standard and not that bright even after it was aligned.

HID will work in your headlight units but you may find 100W bulbs give you the same light output but with less or just as much dazzle.

Leons have plastic lenses so it's quite possible that prolonged use of100W through anything but clean lenses will eventually discolour them and possibly even melt them.

That's why HID is preferred as it burns a LOT cooler than a 100W bulb does.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
I've got 100watts in my main beam and have had no problems with lenses melting. I do run a secondary loom to power them tho to remove the risk of melting wires!

Nef

Looking Rather Dappa
Mar 30, 2009
Cambridge
Brighter bulbs don't dazzle as much as poorly aligned lights - i'd get your light alignment checked first and then consider brighter bulbs. I found the Leons dipped beam to be far too low as standard and not that bright even after it was aligned.

HID will work in your headlight units but you may find 100W bulbs give you the same light output but with less or just as much dazzle.

Leons have plastic lenses so it's quite possible that prolonged use of100W through anything but clean lenses will eventually discolour them and possibly even melt them.

That's why HID is preferred as it burns a LOT cooler than a 100W bulb does.

thanks for the advice everyone.

think my beam is slightly higher than standard, as i think the lights are brilliant. did want to change the lights because i think there crap its just to be different and i think it looks col :D

One of my mates just stuck full yellow bulbs in and i thought it looked really good, so thought id try them.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members