V-MAXX Coilovers - few questions

Jam_Cupra

Jul 29, 2007
I'm looking to buy some v-maxx coilovers from big boys toys tomorrow. i've done a search and pulled bits of info from different threads but just want to clarify it.

i understand that i will need shorter drop links which i don't think is supplied with the kit which i will have to purchase seperately, this correct?

i have also read that it is advisable to change the top mounts? my car has covered 18,000 miles, would i need to swap them? how much are they and where from? and would it be an easy job to replace them at a later date?

couple of questions on the set up -
i am hoping to fit them with my mam's boyfriend who is a general car mechanic. with setting the coilovers, how do you set the height? i know u turn them but how do you establish the same height with the opposing side, you just put them side by side and eye them up for size or something?

and as for alignment once they are all on, is it just simply take it to an alignment centre and have a quick laser alignment done or do you need specific alignment equipment during the process of fitting them?

thanks in advance!

Ric 2001

Need an ID-ten-T form
Some good questions there...

Drop links? - not sure on that one.

Top mounts will be fine if it only covered 18k I've covered 30k and didn't change them.

Coilovers are adjustable via a screw, so pre set them, so you know how many threads are to the bottom of the strut, and then do the same with the other side.
My KW1 had to have a minimum 20mm of thread to the bottom of the strut.

Once fitted suspension will take a while to "bed" in... so give it a week and then check from the centre of the wheel cap to the top of the wing dimension, check that its within the stated dimensions what the instructions say. Make sure that it the same dim on both sides say within a couple of mm.

Alignment - once they are all on and to be honest I make sure the car is sitting high at this point because my local garage could be the equipment under my arches to test them, had to take it to another garage where they had inflatable jacks to lift the car up abit.

Then I'd set the suspension after that... Don't take the suspension off to set it though.

cuprakel

Feb 10, 2006
Lanarkshire
iv got KW V1's sitting in the house, waiting on new top mounts and shorter drop links from big boys toys. some people say u dont need them others say u do, others say u might need them. it was about £100 for the top mounts and drop links so i just decided to go for it - (imo) if a jobs worth doin its worth doin properly!

Rosco906

Aug 17, 2006
Burntisland, Scotland
drop links big boys toys sell them, think there £40/50

Think thats a bit dear to be fait but hey u need them.

Top mounts yes and no. In your case no.

I have fixed a civic vti which has standard top mounts and the shocky burst thro it and put a dent in the bonnet,due to coily's been decked.

If you changing top mounts go for uprated stronger one's.

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
Top mounts and struts, yes I would say, just in case, mine covered 25k and I changed them...

FK coilovers have shorter drop links with them, they're worth it if you have to pay £50 for them with V-Maxx?!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.