V power diesel and the like

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
I always fill with either Esso 'Supreme Diesel' or 'Shell V-Power Nitro+'.

I notice a gain of between 2-5MPG Every time I have a fresh full tank of the V-Power.

The difference is more noticiable on long motorway runs (So I always make sure to fill with the V-Power prior to a long run).

I use fuely every fill and have done every fill since I had the car delivered with 13 miles on the clock and this confirms my assumptions.

I used Standard Shell Fuel Saver Diesel for the first 1000 miles whilei was 'Running in' the engine and when I started using the Esso stuff I saw a small improvement in my average consumption and further so when using The V-Power stuff.

I was sticking to Esso with it being a little cheaper and giving tesco clubcard points but when I realised that they only give something like 1 point for every £2 spent I have started to favor the V-Power, both stations are close but its nice to know I have undiluted V-Power in the tank if I am doing surprise long run.

I also like to pop a double shot of Millers Ecomax in the tank before filling up when doing a long run.

Last edited:

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
I always fill with either Esso 'Supreme Diesel' or 'Shell V-Power Nitro+'.

I notice a gain of between 2-5MPG Every time I have a fresh full tank of the V-Power.

The difference is more noticiable on long motorway runs (So I always make sure to fill with the V-Power prior to a long run).

I use fuely every fill and have done every fill since I had the car delivered with 13 miles on the clock and this matches it confirms my assumptions.

I used Standard Shell Fuel Saver Diesel for the first 1000 miles whilei was 'Running in' the engine and when I started using the Esso stuff I saw a small improvement in my average consumption and further so when using The V-Power stuff.

I was sticking to Esso with it being a little cheaper and giving tesco clubcard points but when I realised that they only give something like 1 point for every £2 spent I have started to favor the V-Power, both stations are close but its nice to know I have undiluted V-Power in the tank if I am doing surprise long run.

I also like to pop a double shot of Millers Ecomax in the tank before filling up when doing a long run.

Is your fuelly set wrong or do you just drive it like you stole it? 43mpg seems incredibly low. Think my worst tank ever got more than your long term average (2TDI 150).

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Really?

Well when I drive even if I drive pretty quick on a short trip I normally get just over 40MPG every time and on long runs closer to 50MPG.

I do the main amount of driving in the car going 20 miles each way for work down either 2 junctions on the M6 or a trip down quiet-ish A roads tthat go through some small towns, villages. A lot of motorway miles where I normally get 45-50MPG on average and then the odd trip around town. I don't drive often quick and normally drive as gentle as I can to the speed (My car seems to attract far too much unwanted police attention yet I have never been issued with any kind of ticket when stopped) limit to use as little as I can.

Even with messing with paddle shift for a good 20 miles and hoofing it at every chance I normally get around 35MPG (I do this VERY rarely, like once a month if that).

But when the misses drives she only does short trips, often in heavy traffic and somehow manages to get around 31MPG on a 10 mile round trip. I don't know how she manages it, its not as if she is even a quick driver (When I am in the car at least).

The only thing that I can think of that may be affecting it (If only a little) is that once I ran the car in I added this stuff to the oil after being advised by a mechanic friend, in hindsight I feel this may have been a bad move as it thickens the oil and could well be creating a little more resistance on all the moving parts. I have a full service due soon though so hopefully a fresh gallon of oil will remove any hinderance this product may be creating.

Last edited:

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Just to add, Might not help that its the DSG, sometimes I feel it changes up that little bit too early in 'Eco' and labours the engine a little bit more than it needs too. But at the same time O have become so used to automatic doing the job for me I feel that if I was to use it in semi-auto all the time I would be over reving and wasting fuel because of going to the oposite end of the spectrum. Sadly when you are using paddle shift you just want to hammer it.....

Last edited:

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
STP is not required in an engine that is barely one year old. It does thicken the oil and is designed to restore compression and reduce oil consumption in high mileage engines with worn cylinder bores.

I once used some in a Cavalier that was burning oil and the starter struggled to turn the engine over when cold because the oil was so viscous.

The oil grade for your engine is 5W30, the STP will take it way out of spec.

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Yeah, as I say, it had a feeling it was a bad move, won't be using any oil aditve again in the future, service is only about 2 months away so hopefully see an improvement after that.....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

cChanceFR

Feb 20, 2014
Tested V-Power on my daily car (FR PD170) definitely run smoother and I'm sure it was good on MPG I averaged 48MPG on the way to work 24 miles not really staring at the current MPG display, but starting at the current MPG every 1 minute I did 52/53. Since then on standard fuel I consistently do 46-50 but not really tested it enough. I got 540miles out of standard fuel in a whole tank but will be trying V-Power again on the next full tank.

Ive always been told (mainly by mechanics) that supermarket fuel isn't overly great. Doing tests on their own cars and customers taxis when requested, changing the fuel filter at a set amount of miles only filling up at supermarkets and the next time at fuel stations such as ESSO or Shell and have found the fuel filter to be considerably cleaner using Shell or Esso than supermarkets. For that reason I normally only use Shell whether it be normal or V-Power.

shhhhh

How are you only getting 380 out of a tank?!

Lol the most I have ever gotten out of a full tank is 468 miles and I was driving like a grandpa with family in the car on a long journey for a lot of that tank. I was using Vpower on that tank (it was recent).

My 30 miles each way to and from work are full of on and off traffic and I can't get very good consumption because of it. At the weekends my mpg is much better (around 50), but with "Mummy and Tarquin [tm]" blocking the roads in their BMW X5's avoiding puddles and the like, I get about 400 miles per tank. Lame, I know... Part of the reason I have just ordered a Cupra 280. May as well have more fun getting bad mpg lol (not that mine is slow but hey). Will definitely be running that on Vpower no question.

Also I notice my engine seems much smoother on Vpower etc as well even if the ratings are the same. It just feels less rough vibration wise and sound wise. I also like knowing it is keeping my engine cleaner than bog standard fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
My average is finally starting to creep up, I imagine it will drop a bit again when I install my new DTUK box (just too tempting to mash the noise pedal when you have just gained 30% more power) and then on the rise again when I get my service and get rid of all the crap in my oil......

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

smurf123

Feb 9, 2014
swindon wiltshire
fifth gear and top gear have done comparisons on this and found that using v power although it is dearef you definatly got more mpg i use vpower all the time and did notice the difference on my last car nissan qashqai 1.6 diesel and still use it in the leon 1.8 petrol but have not checked fuel consumption on it but will do next journey i do

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Just a quick update on the STP crap I had in my oil....

I had my car serviced on Tuesday. Before the service I pulled up one the oil wast at full temp and snuck a can of BG 109 engine flush in oil and then drove the rest of the way (Just over 1 mile) very gentley.

Now that all that old oil has been dumped out (With that bloody stuff in it!) I have had a noticable jump of about 20% improvement in fuel economy. The same journey that would normally get me around 50MPG (This journey is all A roads at 5am so very little traffic) when I hit no red lights and drive as gentle as possible I now get around 60MPG even with a few heavy right foot moments and even a few red lights!

I will NEVER again put any crap in my oil, If I want to keep the car running nice I will just drop out the oil and replace it with fresh high spec oit that meets the actual requirements......

On a side note It seems now I have had my first service my oil change interval has gone from every 20'000 miles to every 10,000...... Which I am more than happy about as services are all paid for by the lease company anyway LOL.

J888ohn

Apr 1, 2014
Falkirk
I always use Tescos finest diesel and get about 500 miles to a tank and low 50s mpg. Had to put a full tank of BP diesel in the other day as got caught short heading back from up north so I'll see how that goes. Got a mrk 3 fr 150 with old fashioned gear stick by the way.

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
There are still times I wish I wish I could have an 'old fashioned gear stick' back :cry:

Last edited:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Last three tanks I filled with standard tesco diesel doing the same trip to work every day which includes some stop start and 50-60 dual carriageway and all three tanks have given 460 miles from full.

Stuck V power diesel in on last fill up and cost £5 extra @ £65 and did 460 miles as well.
Engine is quieter and smoother with the V power but mileage is pretty much the same.

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
My 1.2 is loving tesco momentum extra 40 miles out of the tank but its the extra performance thats impressed me but engine only done 1000 miles so need to allow for the fact engine loosening up.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members