V5 Performance Loss

V5 Si

Hi All,

Apologies for making my first post a plea for help, but I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of whats causeing the power loss on my Toledo V5 (150bhp).

Only bought the car 2 months ago from and as it comes as part of the Approved scheme, I'd like to get the problem fixed under warranty when it goes in for a service in a couple of weeks time.

Everything was great with it for the first couple of thousand miles, but since then it has felt decidedly asthmatic. It doesnt rev anywhere near as freely as it used to and the performance is fairly lacklustre to say the least. It seems to struggle to accelerate with any gusto in third, and I'm not getting the kick in the back that 2nd gear flooring of the accelerator used to provide.

Other symptoms are:

-Slightly uneven idle (nothing major, but is this a normal feature on the V5's?)

-Starting from cold, the revs normally settle at around 900rpm straight away, whereas I'd expect them to be around 1200 rpm for the first few moments.

-Set of the other day and almost stalled it whilst driving in 2nd gear. Had to floor the accelerator just to keep the engine going, no increase in speed. Cleared after a couple of seconds and ran 'normally' (albeit with reduced power)

Does this sound like a MAF or Coil Pack problem as having read some earlier posts these seem to be common V5 faults?

Sorry for the long post, any and all advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Si

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
It would be interesting to see what faults the ECU has logged.

coilpacks are either alive or dead, they shouldn't come back to life so to speak.

rough idle & poor throttle response says 'air leak' to me. check some of the braided rubber hoses around the inlet manifold for kinks / wear. then when the engine is running listen out for hisses

Cheers

Mark

goose

Aug 19, 2002
Leicester
Visit site

V5 Si

Great, thanks for the replies Guys!

I shall go armed with this information when I visit the dealer, speaking of which, does anyone have any experience of either of the following:

Bells in Hyde
Premier Seat in Leek

They are my two nearest dealers and I'd like to find a good 'un, sadly the dealer I bought if from is about 200 miles away, so I cant take it back there for servicing. I had a look at the dealer review posts, but couldnt find any mention of these guys.

Cheers again for your help!
Si

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
id go to premier, heard more positive things about them than bells

:cheers:

Stubill

Swine Bird !
Aug 13, 2002
The New Forest
Visit site
V5 Si said:
Hi All,
-Slightly uneven idle (nothing major, but is this a normal feature on the V5's?)
Si

Not saying that this isn't related to your performance issues, but the idle on a V5 is never going to be silky smooth. 3 cylinders opposing 2.

:cheers:

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
My 150 bhp is very quiet at idle - to the extent that if the climate control is on you can't hear the engine at all. Only had it a month and although I'm used to it now I stalled it a few times when I first bought it and I even had to look at the rev counter to determine what the engine was doing in order to pull away. But...once that 2nd gear pull kicks in - what a lovely sound! However, at idle it is almost silent and I've found the revs to settle very quickly ineed, almost as if it's been warmed up already.

V5 Si

GrayT said:
I'm used to it now I stalled it a few times when I first bought it and I even had to look at the rev counter to determine what the engine was doing in order to pull away.

I know what you mean. Hill starts have taken an embarrassing amount of time to get used to :redface: Mind you, my previous car was a Rover 600 TD, and you could hear the engine on that thing 2 counties away, so I think I've got an excuse :)

Its started stalling now when I start the engine from warm. It fires, but unless you blip the throttle it dies after a second. I read somewhere in an earlier post I think that this was a definite MAF issue, so its being booked into the local dealer for its 60k service (seems reasonable at £146) and to have the MAF replaced.

Hasn't dented my enthusiasm for the car though! I love it to bits, just need to save up the pennies for the engine remap now :thumbup:

john11

it could be that the mass air flow senser is dead when the MAF is dead it robs your car of performence i had the some problem on my 1.8 20v se my car was running very bad it was poping and spiting all over the place after i got a new MAF senser it was ok after that so get that MAF checked out :thumbup:

PurpleFlash

May 13, 2002
Edinburgh/Scotland
Visit site
Yep sounds like MAF problems - refusal to idle, stalling, spitting at low revs and loss of performance. Might only need a good clean though!

As to revs at tickover mine runs @ a very steady 750 rpm and seams very smooth!

Jon Boo

Hi Si,

I've been using Premier in Stoke for the last 3 years with my Ibiza. They are spot on and always happy to help. My only moan is they can't find a fault on my car currently but they keep trying. Had my car MOT'd at Leek and they were good too.

Cheers

Jon :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gregor

Part-time Audi defector
Jul 17, 2001
Berwickshire
Just been diagnosed with the same problem with my 20V SE Toledo. I had noticed that the idle was rough but I didn't notice the performance loss until I spent a few days with the wife's Cordoba TDI and went back to the Toledo.

Dealer what on the ball with the MAF exchange. Quoted at £80 which should hopefully be covered with the used-car warranty I got when I purchased the vehicle 2nd hand.

Timmyboy

Former Cupra Owner
Aug 27, 2005
Bristol
Mine was doing exactly the same - it was indeed the air flow meter. Bought it from Germand swedish and French for around £80 (it's an exchange product, you have to take your knackered one back and get £20 deposit returned) and the dealer popped it on for £25.

StGeorgeX

If you think you have a MAF problem try disconnecting it and going for a drive, if the car feels better then you almost certainly have a MAF issue, seems to be an issue across the whole VAG range my TT's died and being Audi cost £232 to replace (under warranty thankfully) and I've heard of people paying much more...

mac re

got an mfa off ebay

got an MAF off e bay for £42 including p+p
what a bargin
the cars like new
hippeeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
I changed my MAF after the the same symptoms you described....
i also tried disconnecting it and drive, but it felt equally SH**E.

we put the VAG com on went out and the figures produce during the drive were half what it shud av bin!
exchange MAF from stealer is the way forward.....feels like a new car after that!
PROB: if someone connects VAGcom to diagnose the maf at standstill you cant really tell there is a prob.......you dont get an error code cos it is working, albeit badly. you need to drive with vagcom connected... (well thats how we did it.)
hope that helps......

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.