vag com free version what can you do??

rallynut

Dec 25, 2008
what sort of things can you do with the free version of vag com going to buy a lead off ebay and download the free version of vag com want it to change the auto locking and turn down the egr on my diesel will it do this?

Theresias

Common difference between versions and between Fully Registered and Shareware.

Shareware:

Cannot do AutoScan
Won't display text for all fault codes
No Basic Settings (so no TBA, Xenon levelling, etc or checking timing on TDI's)
No Adaptation Saving (so no changing of locking/lights/horn behavior)
No Output Tests
No Tech Support from Ross-Tech

Limitations of 311 and 409 even if Fully Registered:

No Generic OBD-II
Won't work with CAN-Bus vehicles
Fewer fault code definitions and label files
No built-in Activation (you'll be limited to a single PC)
No Advanced Measuring Blocks
No Acceleration Measurement
No Automated Service Reset
No Guided Readiness Generation

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd say the answer to that could be yes! Try www.ilexa.co.uk and think ahead and buy the HEX+USB+CAN - you can use it with a number of laptops as the registration, or license is in the dongle, so if what happened to me, your garage laptop goes "poo", you can just get another without the need to ask for a new activation code.

rallynut

Dec 25, 2008
am i able to buy a lead from ebay and then buy the software licence and download from ross-tech website to be able to adjust what i mentioned above or will i need a genuine lead etc..?

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
It is really difficult to answer your question as you have not told us - at least not where I am looking - what car you want to work on.

Assuming the eBay cable is compatible and will talk with your car and your computer - not a given - then you should be able to buy a license and do all you want to do.

Again, to confirm, we would need to know what car (Model, Year and so on).

You could also ask the eBay vendor about compatibility with your car.

I'd be glad to tell you which of the genuine leads would be best for your car once I know what that car is.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
am i able to buy a lead from ebay and then buy the software licence and download from ross-tech website to be able to adjust what i mentioned above or will i need a genuine lead etc..?

Sorry if I'm boring, but I think that I pointed you in the direction of a UK based VAG-COM vendor. If you buy from a proper VAG-COM vendor then you will be abe to buy "the lot" - ie proper lead with license dongle and the S/W on disc. Any updates you need will be sent to your laptop when they become available, any questions you have will be dealt with by your vendor's VAG-COM forum, as well as the VAG-COM forums on VAG car forums. Remember that when you buy a "smart" lead, ie one with a dongle, the license is in the lead, so if the laptop fails you can get up and running quickly on another laptop without the need to request another license, laptops do fail, mine did when I needed to use VAG-COM, so I'm glad that I upgraded to the newer lead etc.

PompeyPete

Like a Golf, But more fun
Sep 20, 2010
Southampton
picasaweb.google.com
VAG COM help

The shareware version of VAG-COM permits you to clear fault codes. The light will go off when the codes are removed. The codes will only stay removed when the underlying problem is resolved.

BeartheBruce: Your advice is very good and you seem genuinely a helpful guy.....I may even bring my Leon Mk 2 FR TDI to "Philly" so that you can get my indicators to flash again when i lock my car!!! After playing with the software last night i removed that function and cant remember how i did it...!!!!!:D

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
BeartheBruce: Your advice is very good and you seem genuinely a helpful guy.....I may even bring my Leon Mk 2 FR TDI to "Philly" so that you can get my indicators to flash again when i lock my car!!! After playing with the software last night i removed that function and cant remember how i did it...!!!!!:D

Glad I was of some help. We try!

As to bringing your Leon to Philly, make sure you fit it with a really long snorkel! The waters are a bit deep at places in that big pond!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members