VAG COM on Vista

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Having my new laptop tomorrow and i want to buy a copy of vag com to use with my USB cable i bought a while ago.

Is there anyone using anothe cable with the latest version of vag com other than a proper ross tech cable?

Just wondering what my options are.

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Latest version with a proper cable are your only options with Vista if I remember correctly. Definitely no fake cables anyway.

I wouldn't settle for less with XP either to be honest mate.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Shocking.

So i have to fork out for a cable and a copy of vag com just to run it on vista and thats my only option?

I dont really want to pay £130+ for a cable and software.

Last edited:

Theresias

#1 There is a specific FAQ entry on our website covering the Vista question.

http://ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_1.html#1.14

#2 VAG-COM is not really for free, the shareware version is but the real and fully working ones cost money - however, since the activation is included in our (not 3rd party) hardware people often think of buying "just the hardware" while the actually buy the whole product.

Enough smart ass talk from me - promised. ;)

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I undertand about the shareware stuff, i just need a version of vag com with that works with vista and my cable.

Do older versions work on vista?

I'm not worried about the support, i'll buy an older copy if it means i'll save like 75 quid on a cable as i have a perfectly working on already.

Last edited:

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
The older versions of VAG-COM do not work on Vista. We do not plan to go back to 3 and 4 year old versions to make them compatible. All new versions are compatible. Yes, that means to run Vista, you have buy a dongle interface. You cannot use the aftermarket interfaces.

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Havok316, you have a dongle interface and you are probably running version 704. That would be the first version that was Vista compatible. As I said, the older versions 311 and 409 are not compatible and will not be compatible. For VAG-COM to run on Vista, one needs to have a dongle interface and be running version 704 or newer (yes there is a Beta 710 out for evaluation right now).

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
And theres no option either?

So buy your cable and software or nothing at all. Cutting your nose off to spite your face isnt it?

I would have thought an option to buy the sofware only would be beneficial as well.

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
You don't need to buy anything from Ross-Tech. If you choose the free option, you choose to run it under old operating systems. If you want Vista, you belly up to the bar and buy a real system. It's that simple.

If you don't like the choices you have, go find another product from another vendor.

We are not going back to 3 and 4 year old versions of our product to make them Vista compatible.

Since 2005, all of our software has operated only on Dongle interfaces. We will never go back to offering a software only option. The reason: too many thieves in this world ruined things for those who wanted that option.

Last edited:

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
Whats a dongle interface? Curious as i'm 90% sure my mate has a non genuine cable which i borrowed along with the shareware version of vagcom and sucessfully used it on my laptop, which runs Vista.

Last edited:

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
A dongle interface contains the license that is required to run VAG-COM. What version of VAG-COM does your mate have that ran under Vista? Did you run it in a special mode? There were some reports that people got it to work but not on all cars all the time. There were issues with the drivers and so on.

By the way, there are no aftermarket Dongle interfaces. Those are the genuine Ross-Tech products only.

Last edited:

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
Hmm, i see. Not too clued up on it yet myself but i think it was release 409 that i tried. He has XP and a registered version f vagcom, all i did was borrow his cable and download 409 to my Vista laptop from your website and ran it as normal. I didnt test everything but what i did do worked ok.

My problem is i've ordered a non genuine cable (should arrive tomorrow) with the intentions of downloading your shareware version and purchasing a licence for it. But i guess i'm right in thinking that now the cable i've ordered will be useless to me as i have Vista?

If thats true i can see where your coming from with what your doing but i an also see Phils point. For example now that i've shelled out £20 on a non genuine cable (my fault i know, should have done my home work) i'm going to have to ditch that and buy genuine (another £40 or so) so at this point i'm £60 out of pocket so will probably not be able to purchase a licence from you (at least for the time being). So in effect you've lost out on a sale of a license agreement. Granted i wont have the benifit of the full version but the fact remains, the order i was going to place with you tomorrow will now no longer be placed due to the non compatibility with Vista.

Phil, just had a thought. You can install 2x operating systems on PC by the way. So in theory you can install XP on your new laptop but also retain Vista. IIRC when you boot up you can choose either system. Or i'm sure you can set the system to start Vista as default in the bios. But for those ocasions you want to use Vagcom you could go back into ypur bios startup options and choose XP. Worth a try surely? Dosnt even have to be XP, could probably pick up a very cheap version of win2000 etc.

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
The version Gendan is selling there is not a dongle interface. Yes you can do as you said but you will still have the same issue. As Gendan plainly writes on that page:

Please note: This interface is not supplied with VAG-Com software and you will need to download the VAG-COM 409.1 software to use this interface. VAG-Com version 409.1 is not compatible with Windows Vista. If you are running Windows Vista you will need to purchase an official VAG-Com interface with the latest version of the VAG-Com software.

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
Wasnt sure if they shipped to the uk as they have specified uk distributers on the website. If they do ship to the uk i'm looking at £125 + delivery. So if i can keep it in the uk and do it for around £100 it'll be quite a saving.

Beaker™

Nov 21, 2005
The version Gendan is selling there is not a dongle interface. Yes you can do as you said but you will still have the same issue. As Gendan plainly writes on that page:

That brings me to my next quetion then, do any of your uk distributers sell a Vista compatible setup. If not, what do you charge for shipping to the uk?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.