Very hard to get gears when the engine is cold?

Rik N.I.

249bhp 300lbs Torque
Jun 3, 2007
Lisburn N.Ireland
This only happens when the engine is cold or maybe when all the fluids have settled or both.

If the car has sat for a while I can select gears very easily, but when I start the car and push the clutch right in it is very very difficult to get gears, takes alot of force and only grinds and doesn't get reverse as if the clutch isn't right in?

When the car warms up or when fluids get about after about 3minutes of driving the clutch and gearbox and everything is 110% and very smooth.

The clutch itself is very sharp and has never spun shows no signs whatsoever of needing replaced.

Any ideas what I should check or try to do?

I am going to change the gearbox oil anyway when I do a service in the next few days but doubt this will help the problem

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rik

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
Rik all gearboxes tend to stick a little when cold (purely down to the fluids draining from the moving parts as you said), do you give it a waggle before putting it into gear in case its still slightly engaged?

Cupra_joeboy

May 16, 2007
Derbyshire
this may sound stupid, as it did when someone told me, but obviously the engine and mechanical parts do get hot when the car is running and expand very slightly, when the car is parked and left to cool down (completely) the engine parts and mechanicly parts detract thus potencialy very slightly seezing!

this happens alot in other cars, most i have had and more in the winter as the parts will become even colder.

as stupid as it sounds, this could be whats happening, or it could be something totaly different, just thought that was a good explaination Lol!

nev

Mar 27, 2007
Southampton
i had this problem and im afraid is wasnt too good. I couldnt get the gears in at all once moving, and when idle they made clunking noises when going in etc. Luckily had a warranty as i'm sure there was expensive work to be done.

Rik N.I.

249bhp 300lbs Torque
Jun 3, 2007
Lisburn N.Ireland
Its not the gearbox I dont think, it seems more like the clutch not engaging fully when the engine is cold, but the clutch is definately fine

Is there anywere to adjust the clutch?

Rik N.I.

249bhp 300lbs Torque
Jun 3, 2007
Lisburn N.Ireland
Just over 60k matey, I know what coming :(

Just spent about £300 servicing the car with the best of parts

Need coilovers lol not a clutch lol :(

Biting point is very close to the floor now, but it bite very sharp and with 300lbs of torque it never ever spins

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise