Vibration on startup

Noggin

Sep 27, 2002
Visit site
This has only started happening since the cold weather has returned and only occurs on 1st startup in the morning.
Start the engine and there is a brief 1 second vibration.
I've checked the engine cover and tray underneath which are both securely fixed.
Even got the missus to start it up while I had the bonnet open - couldn't even hear it then above the regular clatter of the 1.8t starting.
Any ideas?

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
I get the same with my 03 Cupra. I have noticed it's worse the colder it is in the mornings. It vibrates for about 1 second then goes and comes from the lower front of the car. My thoughts were the exhaust might be blowing slightly at a joint, once it gets heat and expands then it's ok? I will get my dealer to look at it on the next service, perhaps others have had the same and can tell us what it is??? :confused:

JmZ

ZZZooooommmmmmm!
Nov 20, 2002
around and about
Visit site
Ditto.

Mine is exactly the same. Only started doing it recently after its first night out in the open when the temp was -1 or something.

Now everytime on startup I get this vibration/noise, always sounds as though it is coming from the nearside of the engine bay too.

Soon goes once the automatic choke has kicked in and the car starts to warm up tho'.

:confused2

RobG

Aug 22, 2002
Nr Romford
Visit site
mine too.
only started about a month ago and ive had the car about a year now.
sounds like a vibrating heat shield. Only on startup though, ive tried making it do the same by gentle revving but it just wont!

wierd.
rob

cuprabod

Mar 24, 2003
Cheshire
mine too ,I put a thread up about this last week,but there was no real conclusion.It sounds like the heat shield on the manifold or something similar:confused:

JmZ

ZZZooooommmmmmm!
Nov 20, 2002
around and about
Visit site
If it weren't for the way in which you can detect this fault, then I would suggest a dealer having a look....

...but inviting them to turn the ignition on and off and rev it just to replicate this fault does not fill me with joy...so I will live with it for a little longer (or at least until I can get it up on some ramps and have a look for myself! ;)

cuprabod

Mar 24, 2003
Cheshire
Yeah, trying to get it to do it on demand sounds tricky,you can bet if you left it at a dealers overnight it wouldn't do it and you'd get the ,"sorry mate nothing wrong with it".So if anyone finds out what it is post it on here:)

Noggin

Sep 27, 2002
Visit site
1st morning in about a week this hasn't happened..
Was 12 degrees, so it looks like it only happens in the cold.

JmZ

ZZZooooommmmmmm!
Nov 20, 2002
around and about
Visit site
Spooky! :)

Same for me too, was warm this morning and no vibration at all! May be just a cheap bit of tin heatshield then that's temperature sensitive(sp) after all...

:dunno:

Forcedinduction

My 11 month cupra does it too. I remember a thread a while back sugesting its something to do with the hydraulic tappets. Its normally worse on a cold day presumably because the oil viscosity changes????

Lee

Jun 11, 2003
Surrey
Visit site
you will never guess... me too

almost like a rattle/vibration just on start up from somewhere up front?!?

some mornings it does it some it doesnt

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise