Running rich/Emissions issues

Aug 29, 2023
Ireland
Mk1 Cupra Leon, 1.8T AUQ 180BHP mapped to 210, failed the NCT (Irish MOT) on emissions (couldn't be tested due to excessive smoke). Then some Wally decided to add an extra catalytic converter (obviously to try and mask the issue without addressing it) and put it through again. It failed again (but not due to excessive smoke this time, emissions were tested this time but the co was through the roof) (I will post a picture of fail sheet).
Then I bought the car. She seems to be running slightly rich. Stink of fuel in cabin and around car on idle, she doesn't smoke much to be honest only at certain times, like if you drive her up to temp, shut it off for a few minutes, then restart it, she will smoke a little and it stinks of raw fuel (whilst idling). Give her a blast for few minutes and it does be grand then. Idle fluctuates ever so slightly. Barely noticeable on the revometer but just noticeable to the ear, also sometimes hear little pops from the exhaust on idle as well.
Car has a boost gauge, vacuum on idle when first started warm or cold is like -15, once driven it goes to -19/-21, car is stage one mapped putting out 17.5/18 PSI of boost (on the gauge). Vacuum whilst freewheeling is -21. Car was mapped with a 3" downpipe and decat. The catalytic converter is in at the minute. Car pulls on nice and smoothly. Starts first turn of the key everytime.
Sai delete, N249 delete etc etc, Creationsmotorsport TIP, Creationsmotorsport OCC, Creationsmotorsport PCV pipe, Creationsmotorsport crankcase breather hose, Cloud9customs billet crankcase breather, Forge 007 DV. Cold air intake.
Any ideas?
Don't have access to VCDS myself although I am thinking of purchasing it if I can't get it sorted without it.
Also, if anyone here is from Ireland with VCDS that could run some logs for me it would be appreciated. I would travel to you. Closer to Connacht the better.

Aug 29, 2023
Ireland
That's the fail sheet of the second attempt. Bearing in mind that is with the standard catalytic converter in and another universal one in the exhaust system as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20230913_174343_edit_571293209156806.jpg
    IMG_20230913_174343_edit_571293209156806.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 64
Aug 29, 2023
Ireland
Must add when that test was done the thermostat was dodgy. Would get upto temperature with the heat switched off. Turn on the heat it dropped. Thermostat is fixed now. But still doesn't solve the running rich issue

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
VCDS will be the way to go, don't know what the price of second hand HEX+CAN cable is now.
(Just checked, 2nd hand Gendan HEX+CAN cables are all north of £300 on fleabay, ouch! They used to be £170 new!)

A possible cause might be the temp sender.
On mine, (diesel), there are two identical thermistors in the sender.
One does the fuel gauge, the other does the engine management.
It was only with VCDS that I found the engine management thought it was -51 degC all the time.
Dash gauge normal.
If yours is doing the same, and it thinks it's midwinter Spitzbergen, that might be an issue.
If your sender is the original black one, kill it with fire.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023
Ireland
VCDS will be the way to go, don't know what the price of second hand HEX+CAN cable is now.
(Just checked, 2nd hand Gendan HEX+CAN cables are all north of £300 on fleabay, ouch! They used to be £170 new!)

A possible cause might be the temp sender.
On mine, (diesel), there are two identical thermistors in the sender.
One does the fuel gauge, the other does the engine management.
It was only with VCDS that I found the engine management thought it was -51 degC all the time.
Dash gauge normal.
If yours is doing the same, and it thinks it's midwinter Spitzbergen, that might be an issue.
If your sender is the original black one, kill it with fire.
Smutts can you see my other thread I posted today? I've done logs on VCDS (I purchased it). Have a look and see if I'm on the money about the issue. Cheers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.