Vibration through accelerator after changing brakes

Scottl

I changed my front brake discs and pads over the weekend, and did a thorough job as always :)

But now when accelerating I am getting a vibrating or pulsing through the pedal.

I don't really feel anything coming through the steering wheel which I thought I would have if it was the new brakes.

I have read on other posts of people suggesting this kind of symptom points to the Dual Mass Flywheel, but how could just changing the brakes do this?

p.s. Car is a Leon Cupra TDI '04

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
have you bedded the brakes in properly?

did you clean the discs with brake cleaner before fitting?

caliper bolts done up to correct torque?

Scottl

The discs were thoroughly cleaned with brake cleaner and the caliper bolts are tightened correctly.

Do you think it's because the discs have not bedded in properly yet? I haven't had chance to do a proper bed in procedure yet.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
do the bed in procedure and see what happens, ive never had vibration though, bedded in or not...

could be the glazing on the pads transmitting vibrations.. did you copper grease the backs, usually squeals when not but they could be moving in the calipers?

Reactions: chriz1

Scottl

Okay, just to confirm, I am getting vibrations through the Accelerator pedal NOT the Brake Pedal.

That's why i'm so confused, sorry if I didn't make myself clear earlier.

Scottl

It occurred to me that the TDIs are drive-by-wire so I tried resting my foot on the other pedals while accelerating...

All the pedals are actually vibrating, and they even buzz slightly when just cruising off throttle.

Anyone have any more ideas on this? I have to drive over 100 miles tomorrow and am a bit concerned.

Scottl

OK, I took the car to my local independant, who have done all the previous work, and they have checked the car over and come to the conclusion that it could only be the DM Flywheel.

Just what I need right now...

Scottl

Just spent almost £700 getting the clutch & flywheel replaced and all the pedals still vibrate between 2-3000 revs as they did before, maybe even a bit more.

So fed up now after spending all that, feels like i'm just gonna keep throwing money at this thing now..

Scottl

Thought I'd post up an update as I hate posts that go all the way to suggesting what your problem might be then never have the end result.

Well for me on this one, I decided to buy a new Dogbone mount as the next thing to try.

Guess what? ... It actually worked!

After changing the mount I no longer get the wierd kick-back through the pedals on full acceleration that I was getting.

Hope this helps someone else to diagnose a similar problem.

dazzzooo

Scott - My leon FR has started doing the exact same after front discs and pads were replaced.
Was the dog bone you mentioned a cheap/easy fix?
The car is back to the guy who did the job next week, I will mention your findings and hopefully it is this.

Scottl

dazzzooo -The mount cost less than I thought (under £50 from the dealer) and the garage put it on for free as I'd been back so many times trying to sort it out.

Even so, I dont think it is a big job so half hours labour charge max I would think.

I'm not sure if it was that that completely fixed the issue as I went down so many other avenues. All I can say is that I got much less vibrations after it was fitted, and only the odd few occasional diesel buzzes got through to the pedals after it was all done.

Hope this helps.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise