views on painting the disk hub as its rusty

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
what hammerite paint is it theres loads for sale and have you done yours have you got any pics cheers

You have a choice of spray or brush. Spray is OK but you have to mask off everywhere you dont want the paint. The brush option is probably better as the stuff is thicker when you apply it and won't get in as much of a mess. Something like THIS or THIS [B)]

I haven't done it to my car but I know this is a good product to use!

Big Ejit

Wassamarranow?
Aug 8, 2007
Brum
Quick option - wire brush them down and use Silver VHT paint from halfords. Do mine every couple of years. Does a good job so long as they are not scabby.

^^^ Was just going to mention... give them a good clean up with a wire brush maybe even some sandpaper depending on how anal you are! Then wipe them down with some brake cleaner or degreaser and slap on the paint. Hammerite would get my vote, black always looks clean, but if you want colour then hammerite offers pretty much every colour under the sun!

BHP Addict

Back in a SEAT!!
Jan 31, 2006
Birmingham
Going to do mine when I change my springs. Black for me on my Silver Beeza.

Will do my spacers too as they look a little old lol

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
mines were done with hammerite paint but eventually the paint kinda came off, callipers lasted well tho.......there getting re-done with paint to match the car at the bodyshop, but yeah hammerite works fine

Arnoldo

Diesel Fr :D
Mar 22, 2009
N.Ireland
Just in the middle of doin mine atm. Using matt black heat proof paint. As above, wire brush the hub, Clean the surface (I used white spirits), mask off the area were you dont want sprayed, make sure its dry before spraying and then spray giving it a few coats. If you want pics il get some today.

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Try getting some rust treatment. It newtralises the rust so it doesnt corrode the metal anymore and it turns black, which is just what you want. If you realy want to you can paint over it then aswell.

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
what anti rust stuff did you use cheers

I used "loctite rust remedy 7503".

Its not like hamerite which just goes ontop of the rust, its an acid which reacts with the rust to neutralise it and turns it into a protective barrier. It turns it black when its finished reacting. If you just paint over rust, there will be moisture left inside and it will continue to corode under the paint.

This stuff is great for things like this or stone chips ect. And you can then paint over it, as it acts like a primer.

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Never thought about that stuff. Didnt want mine silver tho. Get pics up when you get it done will ya?

Its so much better that Hammerite and only takes about 10 mins to dry, unlike hammerite that seams to take ages to harden.

I'll make sure I get plenty of pics mate :)

PS. I think you can get it in other colours apart from silver (dont holde me to it though).

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Kurust is my favourite, then a coat of VHT paint over the top after drying

63169x.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.