VR6 Hubs

technosmash

Has anyone ever fitted or seen vr6 hubs fitted to a mk2 cupra?

obviously the cupra is 4 stud, but i am thinking of converting it to 5 stud so i can fit some bling merc rims.

just wondering if anyone has seen or done this?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
slightly wider track, so you'd need driveshafts, steering arms & maybe wishbones too..

and then you'll rip your arches

might be easier to just fit a 5 stud hub to your existing hub carriers

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
vr6 5-stud hubs will fit in your current hub carriers - easy job if you are mechanically minded but you will need a big vice or a hydraulic press, you will need new wheel bearings also (cheap, £15 or so) as the old ones will be destroyed when you take the old 4 stud hubs out.

You will also need VR6 outer CV joints as the spline where the hub fits the CV joint is bigger on VR6 - these will fit your driveshafts

Cheers

Rob

technosmash

hmm i see, well i will look into this more. sounds like a nice little job, and not too much work so i can get my sweet rims!

dougy69

Jun 9, 2004
i have vr6 outer cvs and front and rear hubs with if that helps! selling the front hubs and calipers on ebay at the moment so you will have to let me know asap if you want the lot!!!

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
RobT said:
vr6 5-stud hubs will fit in your current hub carriers - easy job if you are mechanically minded but you will need a big vice or a hydraulic press, you will need new wheel bearings also (cheap, £15 or so) as the old ones will be destroyed when you take the old 4 stud hubs out.

You will also need VR6 outer CV joints as the spline where the hub fits the CV joint is bigger on VR6 - these will fit your driveshafts

Cheers

Rob

Rob I'm getting reet confused here mate, need some advice :help:

Right, been looking on gfs to try and work out what parts I need to convert the front end of the cordy to 5 stud...

So I have a set of vr6 hubs that I've knocked out of some carriers, but it looks like part of the bearing is still stuck to them and they don't want to budge :(

So I thought, sod it I might buy all the bits I need new so I started to search...

New VR6 hubs are about £37 each not bad...

GSF list the same part number for the outer CV joints for the ABF Cordoba and the Golf VR6 :confused:

The wheel bearings they list different ones for the golf VR6 and the cordoba 16v so which ones do I need? Because the carriers are cordoba and the hubs are VR6...

I'm soooo confused :cry:

Pete

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Icecavern said:
Rob I'm getting reet confused here mate, need some advice :help:

Right, been looking on gfs to try and work out what parts I need to convert the front end of the cordy to 5 stud...

So I have a set of vr6 hubs that I've knocked out of some carriers, but it looks like part of the bearing is still stuck to them and they don't want to budge :(

So I thought, sod it I might buy all the bits I need new so I started to search...

New VR6 hubs are about £37 each not bad...

GSF list the same part number for the outer CV joints for the ABF Cordoba and the Golf VR6 :confused:

The wheel bearings they list different ones for the golf VR6 and the cordoba 16v so which ones do I need? Because the carriers are cordoba and the hubs are VR6...

I'm soooo confused :cry:

Pete

Unless you have a proper bearing puller you wont seperate the bearing inner race from the hub - and if you try to separate it with brute force, the hub is likely to be damaged to scrap. You need a new VR6 5 bolt hub. You need an outer CV joint to go with this hub - VR6. You need new wheel bearings - VR6 or 16V, no difference. You then need to get the old outer bearing race out of the 16V hub carrier - not an easy job if you dont have the right kit. Once out, you fit your new wheel bearing in, you fit your new hub in the wheel bearing. Attach the new outer CV joint to your 16V driveshafts and put it all back together.

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Now I think I might be getting somewhere now... :D

Looking again at the gsf pages again, the outer CV joint for the 1.8 16v ibiza/cordoba has a different part to the 2.0 16v outer CV, which is listed as the same as the VR6... So if this is right it would explain why you had to change your outer CV joints Rob :)

Hopefully will confirm this by trying one of my VR6 hubs on the end of m0rks driveshafts this weekend to be completely sure. If that's the case I just need new hubs and bearings, once I've figured out why the VR6 and cordoba bearings appear to be different parts :S

Nearly there :D

Pete

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
surcalation said:
why not just get a hub adapater which converts a 4 stud to a 5 stud much like they are used to space your wheels out:

http://www.performancefx.net/wsadaptors.htm

In my case because I don't want to use 20+mm spacers as then then I'll need wide arches :lol:

edc said:
Are VR6 hubs the same as Leon Cupra/TT ?

Do 312 brakes onto VR6 hubs still needs a spacer for the carrier?

I'm only changing the hubs not the hub carriers so the 312mm carriers will still need machining when they arrive with me.

Pete

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Icecavern said:
Now I think I might be getting somewhere now... :D

Looking again at the gsf pages again, the outer CV joint for the 1.8 16v ibiza/cordoba has a different part to the 2.0 16v outer CV, which is listed as the same as the VR6... So if this is right it would explain why you had to change your outer CV joints Rob :)

Hopefully will confirm this by trying one of my VR6 hubs on the end of m0rks driveshafts this weekend to be completely sure. If that's the case I just need new hubs and bearings, once I've figured out why the VR6 and cordoba bearings appear to be different parts :S

Nearly there :D

Pete

The VR6 hubs will not fit m0rks driveshafts - I bet ya - they will have a bigger spline than on the abf outers

the abf and 1.8 oter cv's are the same size, the different part no. refers to quality of product

dougy69

Jun 9, 2004
have you tried vr6 outer cv joints on your drive shafts??
that way you wont need to change bits in the hub

dougy69

Jun 9, 2004
if your drive shafts dont fit the vr6 hubs then swap the end of your drive shaft for a vr one!!(if it will go on)
im running vr driveshafts with ibiza outer cvs (to keep my 4 stud hubs) so they should work vice versa?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members