Vr6

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
After having my 8v cupra sport for over two years now i have decided to do a vr6 conversion.
but i need help i need to know what parts i need and how much there likly to cost i will be doing a search but i arn't very good with the search bit

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Engine, wiring loom, ECU, rear engine mount - you could use your existing flywheel, clutch & gearbox which would negate the need for an 02A 'vr6' gearbox & hydraulic clutch., the driveshafts & wider track.

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Can't use the existing gearbox unfortunately. 6 cylinder gearboxes bolt on differently so the bell housing ( I think that was it ) is different to 4 cylinder ones.

You don't have to go wide track IIRC but can't remember which bits you need.

Pete

slapbladder

Icecavern said:
Can't use the existing gearbox unfortunately. 6 cylinder gearboxes bolt on differently so the bell housing ( I think that was it ) is different to 4 cylinder ones.

You don't have to go wide track IIRC but can't remember which bits you need.

Pete

You can use a passat subframe etc to go wide track. Get some spacers for the rear though to balance the handling. VR6 in a Mk2 Biza goes very well! :)

Red Ibiza VR6

Dec 24, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Better off buying a smashed vr6 or the whole front, as you then have all the bits you need.

You need both subframes, vr6 brakes, lower control arms, hubs and lots of other bits. If you get the full wiring loom, you can unplug the beeza loom and plug in the vr6 loom. If you swop the dash loom too, the tacho and mfa will work too.

Its an awesome conversion and the best bit is the noise it makes. Throaty VR6 from a little beeza. That and the warp speed factor.

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
so let me get this so far i need:
sub frames front and back
engine
wiring loom
ecu
brakes
lower control arms
hubs
gear box
rear engine mount(what about the rest of them):confused:
clutch
spacers
and a dash loom.
any thing else?
oh and what about suspension
with rear spacers will i still be able to fit 17's?
:D

dougy69

Jun 9, 2004
i didnt change the rear subframe when i did mine.
as for hubs and brakes etc it depends if your going to use four or 5 stud!!
gearbox is a must only vr6 one will fit
i changed all the mounts for up-rated ones

and as for the clutch been cable, you need a vw part that fits into the gearbox were the hydrolic bit is. i will get the part number for you if you go ahead and do this.

i also needed to change the gear stick and mechanism

big phill

big n proud
Feb 12, 2005
scunthorpe
dougy69 said:
i didnt change the rear subframe when i did mine.
as for hubs and brakes etc it depends if your going to use four or 5 stud!!
gearbox is a must only vr6 one will fit
i changed all the mounts for up-rated ones

and as for the clutch been cable, you need a vw part that fits into the gearbox were the hydrolic bit is. i will get the part number for you if you go ahead and do this.

i also needed to change the gear stick and mechanism
so i dont need to change the hubs then?
and how long did it take you to actually change it all over then?

dougy69

Jun 9, 2004
bought golf in late febuary finished it 3 days ago!!

i work long hours though so wasnt doing it everynight. also was playing footy on a saturady up until april!! taking the engines out took the best part of a day on each car. then i just did everything as i came to it.
i used the ibiza rad as it is the same size and mine has two fans.
only bit of cutting i had to do was on the top of the front crossmember as it fouled the engine.

i should have finished a month ago but due to me not been a mechanic i messed up and blew a whole in the gearbox!! (oh well was still far cheaper and more rewarding than sending it off some were)

IbiVR

Best bet is to buy a Mk3 golf VR6 and sell what you dont need. You can pick up a sorry looking 5 door with a lowwish mileage engine for around £1k, and can easilly make £300 back selling bits you dont need.

Bolt the whole lot in subframe and all, change over the rear brakes so you have 5 stud all round (unless your really attached to your wheels than you can swap the front back to 4 stud). Other bits as mentioned - gear selector, hydrullic clutch, hardest bit is the wiring.

We did mine in 4 evenings but it wasnt the first VR conversion we had done...

Tom.

slipper

Just looking on ebay for any cheap VR6's - are all the VW vr6's the same? As in the passat, sharan etc... they're cheaper than a mk3 and might be a bit more common? Sorry for the noob question but don't know a lot about the different models etc.

IbiVR

Engine wise theres 3 types up to 93 is distributer, after that is coilpack, you get an obd2 verison form 97 which is a bit different and better if you can get it.

for conversion your better with a golf really, because of the other bits that fit, i think the box on a sharon is wrong, passat is close but you wont quite have all the bits you'll need.

for a cheap donor your best bet is a 94/95 golf.

Tom.

sixpot

53 Leon Cupra R
Apr 12, 2004
Warrington/Cheshire
IbiVR said:
Engine wise theres 3 types up to 93 is distributer, after that is coilpack, you get an obd2 verison form 97 which is a bit different and better if you can get it.

for conversion your better with a golf really, because of the other bits that fit, i think the box on a sharon is wrong, passat is close but you wont quite have all the bits you'll need.

for a cheap donor your best bet is a 94/95 golf.

Tom.
Sorry mate but, there are only two types:
OBD1 1992-1995 Dissy
OBD 2 1995-1998 Coil pack
Different Throttle bodies/inlet manifolds and ECU management.
Changeover date is something like May/June 1995
Corrado 2.9 is OBD 1 as it was only made up until '95.

IbiVR

sixpot said:
Sorry mate but, there are only two types:
OBD1 1992-1995 Dissy
OBD 2 1995-1998 Coil pack
Different Throttle bodies/inlet manifolds and ECU management.
Changeover date is something like May/June 1995
Corrado 2.9 is OBD 1 as it was only made up until '95.

Nope, defo three.

Only very early vr's were dizzy. OBD1 coilpack from 93.

ECU codes for Dizzy OBD1 are 021 906 258 A B C
Ecu codes for the coilpack ODB1's - 021 906 258 AG AF CH CP BM EA BK
OBD2 is 021 906 256 XX or 02 1906 259 XX

I have one in my car, and 2 in my garage, believe.

Tom.

Last edited by a moderator:

dougy69

Jun 9, 2004
been driving mine now for a good few weeks and tbh its slow up until about 5k revs. after that it pulls like hell and sounds mint like!!

but my mate has just bought a s4 and omg is that thing fast. it has rs4 turbos and has been remapped but **** its fast!!!!

made me really want a turbo or supercharger on mine!!

ibizavr how much did it cost you for the turbo etc and can i get the same done to mine at a good price??

ps just got in n im ******ed so sorry if im rambling n not spelling right well!!

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
IbiVR said:
Nope, defo three.

Only very early vr's were dizzy. OBD1 coilpack from 93.

ECU codes for Dizzy OBD1 are 021 906 258 A B C
Ecu codes for the coilpack ODB1's - 021 906 258 AG AF CH CP BM EA BK
OBD2 is 021 906 256 XX or 02 1906 259 XX

I have one in my car, and 2 in my garage, believe.

Tom.

Yup 3 types.

I think you should bring one of those engines round and drop it in my cordy for me :D

IbiVR

dougy69 said:
been driving mine now for a good few weeks and tbh its slow up until about 5k revs. after that it pulls like hell and sounds mint like!!

ibizavr how much did it cost you for the turbo etc and can i get the same done to mine at a good price??

Slow up to 5k? Odd it shouldnt be. You running cams or anything? If some cams/headwork have robbed you of some low down grunt you may find changing to a 3.6 final drive worthwhile for acceleration, but your gonna be revving higher on motorways - depends what you use it for really...

We are developing a 400bhp turbo kit for the VR6, Its not completely finished yet but we are selling the individual parts that we have finished and tested so far - RHD vr6 turbo manifold, decompression plates, oil lines, injectors, OBD 1 Coilpack code. We find at the moment people prefer to source there own turbo and do there own piping for there own requirments.

PM me if your interested in any of that.

Cheers,

Tom.

Icecavern - VR6 Cordoba - mmm you know you want to..... :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members