Warm Wheels after Casual Drive [Cupra 290 2019]

JS92

Aug 29, 2023
Hi All,

I noticed this morning after my commute to work (about 25 miles, mix of dual carriage way and winding back/farm roads) there was a slight warming/burning smell coming from the front end, I only had a quick sniff near the wheels, and also checked the alloy temp and it was warm - not hot to touch, but warm.

I have only had the car 3 weeks now, but my old car (Audi TT mk2 manual) never had warm wheels/alloys or a smell after the commute - they weren't cold, but not the temp I felt this morning on my Cupra.

Is this normal? And since this car has a lot more sensors and bells and whistles would I likely get a warning before a brake issue develops?

Thanks.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I don’t have a Curpa 290 so can’t comment on whether this is normal for that model of car. However, warm wheels might be an indication of either the brakes binding (especially if you’re getting a burning smell) or a failing wheel bearing.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi All,

I noticed this morning after my commute to work (about 25 miles, mix of dual carriage way and winding back/farm roads) there was a slight warming/burning smell coming from the front end, I only had a quick sniff near the wheels, and also checked the alloy temp and it was warm - not hot to touch, but warm.

I have only had the car 3 weeks now, but my old car (Audi TT mk2 manual) never had warm wheels/alloys or a smell after the commute - they weren't cold, but not the temp I felt this morning on my Cupra.

Is this normal? And since this car has a lot more sensors and bells and whistles would I likely get a warning before a brake issue develops?

Thanks.
Not normal. Sounds like your front brake is binding.

Usually either: pads too tight/corroded in carrier, slide pins seized, caliper piston seized or brake hose degraded internally.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.